Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
The ponds I think
Yes that is the Ponds, the house don't look cookie cutter because there are a bunch of builders out there doing spec and custom homes, not one builder building on all of the lots..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
We're looking at several different locations to retire in and when we find home plans we like with lots of windows and sunlight; unique, open, well laid out floor plans, real trees and private backyards, we're not quite as keen on the location; but it may become the "trump" card because no matter how much we tour, we still spend a lot of time in our home.

We prefer the Charleston area, but the floor plans we see on daily MLS always seem similar and not very innovative, with much higher prices.... Esp the Mt P area.

I see way too many syndicated home builders that like to build the same thing over and over for simply profit. And people buy them. I would love to volunteer my time with these builders and give them some more creative ideas from the female perspective.

Cookie cutter neighborhoods, with bumper to bumper houses are just not for me.
Would not buy either -it's lame and boring. Even the streets have the same name sometimes. It's a huge pain trying to deal with someone's directions that are something like 'Enter the neighborhood on Deer Cross, take the 3rd right on Deer Shadow and then a left on Deer Field (if you see Deer Town you've gone too far, but Deer Towne with an E means there's one more block to go). The house will be on the left - it's the 4th cream one you'll see, but not off white or off beige. You'll have to count houses or look for our car because the HOA won't allow numbers on mailboxes because they're too differentiating.'

Between that, and liking old school MCM architecture the only real contenders were pre-1970 construction, with just one exception.

Quote:
What was the Summerville sub-division with the sculptures of the fat people? That had some very nice homes, in the southern style .... I think I have a picture somewhere ....
They're probably considered average-sized now, sadly.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 AM

638 posts, read 1,595,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
MaryJane,

What is it about architects? I know one who is fairly reasonable, but so many seem so flaky and like such prima donnas and then they go and screw up the measurements on the plans anyway. Or they over-dramatize the cost of making a simple change. I've seen architects claim a $1500 job will cost $15,000! Then they scare the homebuilder and cause all kinds of drama .... drama queens I tell you. ;-)

That certainly was our experience. One Allison Ramsey floor plan in Southern Living had room measurements that were so off you couldn't make heads or tails of the plan. So much for the professionals. One house we contracted was built by a contractor that used our pencil drawings.. ha

I keep looking at the bronze people in your photograph trying to figure them out.. Are they hot? Depressed? Waiting for a bus?

And this scupture is in the Ponds that you and Robynn liked? On John's Island?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:43 AM

214 posts, read 325,690 times
I'm a young adult living in NY, pretty much just starting out in life. The houses here are so expensive (even in the cheaper more rural areas of the state) that I feel like I would be so lucky to have any one of those cookie cutter houses! So, I think that for young families, they are such a fantastic option. The thought of being able to afford a newer house with a floor plan that actually flows from room to room, and won't be needing a new roof in 5 years is SO appealing to me. I mean, we currently own a home here that we got a "great deal" on, and literally every ounce of our time/money/energy has gone into repairs. We could spend $50,000 less down there and get house that's at least 20 years newer (and that's exactly what we're planning to do!) I can understand getting bored with these types of houses if we could afford more unique options though.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Quote:
I keep looking at the bronze people in your photograph trying to figure them out.. Are they hot? Depressed? Waiting for a bus?

They look hot and tired to me.

I didn't say I liked them - I just recognized where they were. They are in The Ponds in Summerville. It's quite lovely Summerville New Homes: Charleston SC Real Estate - The Ponds

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady katie View Post
I'm a young adult living in NY, pretty much just starting out in life. The houses here are so expensive (even in the cheaper more rural areas of the state) that I feel like I would be so lucky to have any one of those cookie cutter houses! So, I think that for young families, they are such a fantastic option. The thought of being able to afford a newer house with a floor plan that actually flows from room to room, and won't be needing a new roof in 5 years is SO appealing to me. I mean, we currently own a home here that we got a "great deal" on, and literally every ounce of our time/money/energy has gone into repairs. We could spend $50,000 less down there and get house that's at least 20 years newer (and that's exactly what we're planning to do!) I can understand getting bored with these types of houses if we could afford more unique options though.
It's funny that you mention the roof... on the cookie cutter I owned, leaks in the roof became apparent at age 3. There is no such thing as a maintenance-free home.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Never had any roof problems in any home I've lived in. Guess I've been lucky.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM

Seriously lucky... I'm 4 for 4. Three were workmanship defects, the 4th was just the roof being 10 years old and made from cheap shingles.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:47 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
6 Intriguingly Shaped Communities As Seen On Google Maps

Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
That certainly was our experience. One Allison Ramsey floor plan in Southern Living had room measurements that were so off you couldn't make heads or tails of the plan. So much for the professionals. One house we contracted was built by a contractor that used our pencil drawings.. ha

Hi MaryJane!

I liked the sculpture, it was an interesting addition to the development. It was unexpected. I think they look hot and tired but I also find them inspirational. To lose weight. In fact, I've lost 7 of the 50 lbs I want to drop for my daughter's wedding next year, so I think I'll keep looking at that picture

I'm not sure what the starting price point is for The Ponds in Summerville - I think around $150,000 and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area