Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone who lives in Mt. Pleasant wants to create a bad quality of life or hazard what is typically a very family friendly atmosphere. The difference is what you believe that constitutes. I have no problem putting some big block stores down by Town Center instead of condos. But the OP opines about such a travesty.

As a home owner, I want to see my property value to up, but I want it to go up based on true demand and not speculation. I believe the demand in Mt. P is driven by one or a combination of: proximity to the ocean/downtown, how good the public school systems are, and the general number of families with children. My personal opinion (and some realtors can jump in here) is the biggest drivers are schools and access to beach/downtown.

Based on your theory awaburton, the motivation for the growth of Mt. Pleasant is dependent upon who's POV your looking at... the sellers or the buyers. If you base it on the buyers, then your own posts should put to rest any fears you may have in the long term health of the town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarburton View Post
The motivation behind the surge in population growth can be indicative to what will become of the city in the long-term.
Is answered by:

Quote:
Fortunately, I've yet to meet a Mt. Pleasant transplant whose motivation behind moving wasn't either "family" or "quality of life".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 11,509 times
Default Mt Pleasant

Mount Pleasant is named appropriately. It's an awesome town with good leadership. The planning department is doing an awesome job. They do have it together.

When housing growth was outpacing infrastructure they put a moratorium on building permits, exactly what they needed to do. Expansion of the main corridors and widening of the highways was needed for further growth. They have the expansion and highways widened and able to accommodate more traffic, schools able to handle more growth and utilities covered.

As for the integrity of the politicians. There are dishonest and unethical people in any profession we can think of. Even those who start out walking the straight and narrow get off course. None of us are perfect.

Crime rates have never caught my attention as being a problem there. There was crime in Mayberry and Andy Griffith just had to do his job. There's gonna be crime in Mt Pleasant and the police just need to do there job so it never becomes an unmanageable issue.

Just maybe growth and change are good for a town or city just like it's good for people.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:07 AM

817 posts, read 2,004,306 times
Quote:
Fortunately, I've yet to meet a Mt. Pleasant transplant whose motivation behind moving wasn't either "family" or "quality of life". I know that my family, having worked so hard to get here, and feeling so fortunate that we can raise our kids in such an amazing place, takes great care in making sure we do our part to keep the vibe of this town as wonderful as we found it. I feel that most transplants I've encountered feel and do the same. I'm sure that as time passes I'll see examples of different behavior, but I think and hope that the vast majority of the Mt.P transplants understand the good thing they have here, and will do their part to keep it that way.
Came here for those 2 points exactly and entirely.

* Family
* Quality of Life

3rd factor people move here.. job transfer.
But they welcome the move I always hear.
Some of those that do not... miss family back home, understandably

Old 09-28-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveREI View Post
They have the expansion and highways widened and able to accommodate more traffic, schools able to handle more growth and utilities covered.
I believe the changes to 17 help, but don't solve the problem. If Carolina Park mirror's PW, I'm not sure the how school system, as zoned now, will be able to handle it without a large growth of mobile classrooms. Personally I don't believe in mobile classrooms.

I guess some of the problem with the leadership has been the reliance on reactionary planning/execution rather than proactive planning/execution on many fronts. Of course the selling of the dockable land in Shem Creek for pennies then turning around and repurchasing it a few years later for $6 million leaves one wondering too. I've always had a problem with the relationship between town officials and real estate developers.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Did Mt. Pleasant buy the land back from a developer? The same developer that they sold the land to?

I always find it interesting how folks assume that land developers all have some kind of payback relationship with municipalities. It is true that some are crooked on both sides (like any other business) but for the most part, developers more than pay their fair share for developing a project. The profit margin for developers ranges from 10 to 20% that is not as much as most businesses and comes with greater risk. I have seen developers negotiate with municipalities and have seen how they are asked to pay more and more for the privilege of being in business. The community rarely knows the details of a development agreement and don't know how much the developers pay for the roads, schools, parks, etc. Which is the way it should be.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Did Mt. Pleasant buy the land back from a developer? The same developer that they sold the land to?
Yes

It's the relationships to me.. it's the Board members that have close friends or family in development or real estate sales. Things like the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and the Commercial Design Review Board all of which are comprised of members appointed by the Mayor and Town Council. I didn't say there was a kickback relationship going on, but having such access and 'lobby' lends itself to, at least from the outside, a sense of conflict of interest.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I still say that the incidents where there is that kind of lobbying is not as frequent as folks imply. Not saying it doesn't happen...just saying it isn't as prevalent as folks think.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:36 AM

I still say that this is Charleston and the good ole boy politics haven't gone away. It's all about who you know.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I still say that this is Charleston and the good ole boy politics haven't gone away. It's all about who you know.
And that is any different where else ????????

Old 09-28-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
And that is any different where else ????????

It isn't... doesn't mean I dig it. Just is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area