Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,859 times

Advertisements

My husband was sought out for a job and they relocated us here so we were very fortunate.

You said that you had 12 years experience. What kind of experience? Maybe we can all keep an eyes/ears out. I think each field is so unique. The job market is iffy but those with college degrees/grad degrees have a much lower unemployment rate.

You must be soooo frustrated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM

13 posts, read 56,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprouts View Post
What kind of experience? Maybe we can all keep an eyes/ears out. I think each field is so unique. The job market is iffy but those with college degrees/grad degrees have a much lower unemployment rate.

You must be soooo frustrated!
Sprouts, thanks for being so empathetic!! I really need a lot of that right now!

I am preferably looking for a B2B sales position in any industry but, I am also considering other fields as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,594,218 times
I find it very easy to find a job here. I had never even been to Charleston when I was hired at my first job. I had a lot of responses from Charleston when I was still living in MA. I was looking for another job in MA at the same time and didn't hear from one employer up there. I just recently changed jobs and had absolutely no problem. I still don't have any connections so that is not what got me both of my jobs here.

Do you think your resume may need a little tweaking? Maybe revise it a bit for each job posting to you are looking at to include the key words that are posted on the job listing?

Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
Do you think your resume may need a little tweaking? Maybe revise it a bit for each job posting to you are looking at to include the key words that are posted on the job listing?
MINIcoopKJG, I do revise my resume for each job listing and include the keywords. I wonder if the fact that I have an MBA make some hiring agents feel like I am overqualified??? What is your field of work?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERIWILL View Post
MINIcoopKJG, I do revise my resume for each job listing and include the keywords. I wonder if the fact that I have an MBA make some hiring agents feel like I am overqualified??? What is your field of work?
I work in the legal profession. I have an MPA and business management certificate and have found that people are impressed with it. Most people in my field have a degree, but it is usually an associates or bachelors.

What other types of fields are you looking at? It did take me some time to get into a new field. I worked in the printing/graphics industry prior to the legal profession.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 AM

4 posts, read 5,622 times
It wouldn't hurt to do some networking by joining a Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions, etc. Tho, I would never trust a Yahoo answer. There are actually a lot of employers or HR managers who are from outside the area & have preferences for people who are not from here. As someone said earlier, a temp agency could open something up for you. At my office, we have hired 5-6 people full time that started out as temps from Snelling Personnel Services.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChachiBarcola View Post
It wouldn't hurt to do some networking by joining a Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions, etc. Tho, I would never trust a Yahoo answer. There are actually a lot of employers or HR managers who are from outside the area & have preferences for people who are not from here. As someone said earlier, a temp agency could open something up for you. At my office, we have hired 5-6 people full time that started out as temps from Snelling Personnel Services.
Thanks for the input Chachi!

Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,935 times
Keriwill,

There is also a group a couple of my friends go to called Young Professionals. This seems like a great group to Network in. You can look it up, and people are always welcome. I would agree with the other person here that you could join some groups to Network in and possible get a job lead. Hope this helps.

And, don't be discouraged, those few on here that are saying the economy is getting better , and they easily got a job are not living in reality. They are the 1% of people that had things work there way magically. You are an educated person, and you said you know what is happening right now in the U.S. It is not going to improve anytime before the end of 2012!

Hope you can find a group to Network in Charleston like Young Professionals.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,448,392 times
I agree with that. Networking with business groups may be the answer, or at least it will get you out where you can meet people and they can meet you. Good way to hear about company openings...

Also, I don't think that there is one pat answer to the situation. I totally disagree with that answer you found on Yahoo. Some people have gotten a job and moved here because they knew someone, but others haven't. It depends on the situation and the type of job.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Keriwill,

There is also a group a couple of my friends go to called Young Professionals. This seems like a great group to Network in. You can look it up, and people are always welcome. I would agree with the other person here that you could join some groups to Network in and possible get a job lead. Hope this helps.

And, don't be discouraged, those few on here that are saying the economy is getting better , and they easily got a job are not living in reality. They are the 1% of people that had things work there way magically. You are an educated person, and you said you know what is happening right now in the U.S. It is not going to improve anytime before the end of 2012!

Hope you can find a group to Network in Charleston like Young Professionals.
I am one of the ones that said I got a job pretty easily, and yes, I am living in reality. I found it a heck of a lot easier to find jobs here than up north. I depends on your profession. If I were looking for a job in a field that there isn't much of in this area, it would be different. I happen to work in a field where there are a lot of jobs and it is easy to find a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area