Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

Looking for assembly work in charleston sc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:55 PM

85 posts, read 131,076 times
I believe it is true of anywhere in the States that if you know someone on the inside it will be easier to get an face to face interview,maybe not the job but an interview at least. Just like selling,it is easier to sell to someone who is warm compared to just cold calling a company.
I have found that people here are friendly and helpful. I moved down here this last May(2013),I would visit company's that I was interested to work for. If they were not hiring they would often suggest another company and then give me an name and number for that said company

Job hunting is just like selling,you are going to hear a lot of no's before you get get an yes. Don't give up,go and do what you do best and 'sell' you to the company that you want to work for.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,748 times
I know this post is late but here's my input. My wife and I moved here from PA about two years ago. Charleston is a great city but very hard to crack the interworkings of local business. Don't get me wrong, I realize it helps to know people to get in the door, but Charleston takes it to another level. First off, there's a portion of the locals that despise people moving to their town for some reason. My thinking is that a good mix of people stimulates innovation and growth for a city. I guess their thinking is they feel threatened about people with different thoughts and beliefs than theirs.

Both my wife and I have good jobs here so I'm not bitter, but there is evidence of local favoritism going on. If you didn't go to Clemson or South Carolina for college, you're already at a disadvantage. I'm sure they're good schools but if you get outside of SC, it really doesn't matter.

Bottom line, it is possible to land a job in Charleston as an outsider but it takes time and some luck.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
In Atlanta -- Georgia TEch or UGA get preferential treatment...in the northeast -- I would bet Ivy leagues schools from the northeast get top priority. There is always loyalty to locals in any local business....anywhere.

But if you are good, motivated and keep on plugging -- stuff will happen.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:55 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbake View Post
I know this post is late but here's my input. My wife and I moved here from PA about two years ago. Charleston is a great city but very hard to crack the interworkings of local business. Don't get me wrong, I realize it helps to know people to get in the door, but Charleston takes it to another level. First off, there's a portion of the locals that despise people moving to their town for some reason. My thinking is that a good mix of people stimulates innovation and growth for a city. I guess their thinking is they feel threatened about people with different thoughts and beliefs than theirs.

Both my wife and I have good jobs here so I'm not bitter, but there is evidence of local favoritism going on. If you didn't go to Clemson or South Carolina for college, you're already at a disadvantage. I'm sure they're good schools but if you get outside of SC, it really doesn't matter.

Bottom line, it is possible to land a job in Charleston as an outsider but it takes time and some luck.
Um? I have lived in SC since 2006 and went to a SC university. It's still extremely difficult getting a job no matter where you went to school in the state. I will say this because I always hear it from locals and across the state: those that graduate from the Citadel have an amazing chance at landing great careers in the state. My husband is attending the school next year and even if he doesn't go the military contracting route after graduation, I can almost guarantee he will be recruited for a top company here. There's favoritism with that school for sure. And good for those graduates because anyone who attends a military college should get that type of favoritism.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,408 times
Default Work in Charleston

I know I am super late to this party. I recently moved to Charleston & am having EXTREME difficulty finding a job. I am beginning to wonder if the out of state experience on my resume is the problem. I am an expert in my field & was being recruited by various employers in my home state. We moved here because of my husbands job. I honestly figured I would be able to find something within weeks. Its been 2 months & nothing. I am applying for everything! I have filled out numerous applications online & and sent resumes. I have also walked in to many businesses with my resume & nothing. I had one interview & she asked me if I had any "local references". Any ideas?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:06 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,601,443 times
What is your field?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:16 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,025,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarbpie7 View Post
I had one interview & she asked me if I had any "local references". Any ideas?
Not sure if this would be of any help, but some seem to think that while one is looking for work (ie laid off, perhaps relocated, etc) they could try and volunteer their services to a local group/charity while job hunting. So if you have an accounting background, maybe a local animal shelter, church, or other organization could use a hand doing what you have skills in.
Obviously not a long term ideal plan and that wont pay the bills but it may help get you some "local references" which being new to the area you may not have, and keeps you fresh in your field.

Again, just thinking out loud there.

good luck!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM

85 posts, read 131,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Not sure if this would be of any help, but some seem to think that while one is looking for work (ie laid off, perhaps relocated, etc) they could try and volunteer their services to a local group/charity while job hunting. So if you have an accounting background, maybe a local animal shelter, church, or other organization could use a hand doing what you have skills in.
Obviously not a long term ideal plan and that wont pay the bills but it may help get you some "local references" which being new to the area you may not have, and keeps you fresh in your field.

Again, just thinking out loud there.

good luck!
This sounds like a grand idea and also may help with finding some one "on the inside" in a local company. Good luck in your hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area