Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 14,551 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to move to Charleston for over a year now but it seems very hard to secure employment since I am not there and I live on Long Island. I have visited twice and would look for a place in West Ashley, middleton cove seemed nice and affordable. Anyway, has anyone out there relocated without a job lined up or would this be crazy? I have sent many resumes out and have been on the phone with people but it has not gone further than that. I have experience in IT, video production and sales. I have applied many times to the local TV stations with no luck and various IT positions as well. I know the job situation is not great but I would be willing to do whatever. whole foods, trader joes, jcrew, gap etc. I figure if I moved with $10,000 or more I would be safe for a little while. I appreciate everyone's time and suggestions. Thanks

Last edited by surfone; 11-10-2012 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: forgot something to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
I personally wouldn't move without a job. Keep trying. Many people have secured jobs before moving here.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:28 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times
It would be extremely foolish to come down without a job. I realize how hard it is to try and obtain a job when you are not living here. They do try and hire locals first, as they should. Those of us that did obtain jobs when we were trying to relocate to Charleston certainly feel blessed. I am not sure if you are working with a headhunter, but that may help. It is even more unfortunate for you that the job market is not good in this economy, but don't give up..miracles do happen !!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:32 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Bad idea... my wife is a little specialized with her job and she didn;t have great luck at first.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:06 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I wouldn't move to any city without a job.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM

69 posts, read 178,305 times
I moved here with no job. Turned out great

Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM

103 posts, read 218,048 times
I will be doing the same at the end of February. I work in the Optometry field so work for me is fairly easy to find. Going on a whim and a good feeling and have decided to make the move!

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
aj, let me know how that turns out for you, my sister is in the same field and I keep telling her that she needs to get the hell out of Jerssey....

Old 11-11-2012, 01:08 PM

103 posts, read 218,048 times
I definitely will ! I've already been in contact with three different practices who are keeping me in their back pocket. She should look into it!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfone View Post
I have wanted to move to Charleston for over a year now but it seems very hard to secure employment since I am not there and I live on Long Island. I have visited twice and would look for a place in West Ashley, middleton cove seemed nice and affordable. Anyway, has anyone out there relocated without a job lined up or would this be crazy? I have sent many resumes out and have been on the phone with people but it has not gone further than that. I have experience in IT, video production and sales. I have applied many times to the local TV stations with no luck and various IT positions as well. I know the job situation is not great but I would be willing to do whatever. whole foods, trader joes, jcrew, gap etc. I figure if I moved with $10,000 or more I would be safe for a little while. I appreciate everyone's time and suggestions. Thanks
I did that twice when I was single and turned out fine. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: