Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times

Advertisements

It's been 3 years since our relocation from New England. I did a lot of research before moving here and when I was offered a job I took it. I really have no regrets. It is sometimes harder to be away from family than I thought it would be but they visit and so do we. Of course there are times when I miss New England, mostly the fall season. The crime is a little more than I was used to, but I have never lived in such a big city before so I am adjusting to that. I find the low country enchanting and stunningly beautiful. I love living close to the beach and downtown Charleston is one of the most charming downtowns in the country. I'm happy with our decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
We moved here almost three years ago from Seattle, and there is very little I miss or regret. My kids miss cold weather and snowboarding and it's been a little tough for them going to scholl with some of the really wealthy mercedes driving teenagers (although I think that's good for my kids, too). I miss my job, but the agency I worked for no longer exists, anyway. The only thing I miss is mountains. I really miss mountains. View from my bedroom window in Washington

Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM

177 posts, read 479,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
The only thing I miss is mountains. I really miss mountains. View from my bedroom window in Washington
Very nice view!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
I was moved her in '89 by Uncle Sam, fell in love with the place, people, culture, etc....
Yep, pretty much the same for me...Uncle Sam's Yacht Club brought me here in '89, got out and decided to stay. I do miss the Motherland (Texas), but it's OK to visit. Charleston is home now and I have no regrets about the choice. Notice my User ID, texsoninsc...texas son in south carolina...been that way now longer than I lived in Texas!
An interesting aside...one of my ancestors camped with his militia at Bacon's Bridge during the Revolutionary War, not 5 minutes from where I now live 200+ years later. I just find the history around here incredible.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsoninsc View Post
Yep, pretty much the same for me...Uncle Sam's Yacht Club brought me here in '89, got out and decided to stay. I do miss the Motherland (Texas), but it's OK to visit. Charleston is home now and I have no regrets about the choice. Notice my User ID, texsoninsc...texas son in south carolina...been that way now longer than I lived in Texas!
An interesting aside...one of my ancestors camped with his militia at Bacon's Bridge during the Revolutionary War, not 5 minutes from where I now live 200+ years later. I just find the history around here incredible.
Are you pre Hugo or post Hugo?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM

330 posts, read 1,197,139 times
Our family moved here in 06 from the southern New Jersey/Philadelphia area and now it feels as though we've lived here all our lives. It feels more like home here than it ever did up north. We love the weather, the wonderful, friendly people and how much more relaxed we are.
And we have no regrets from any of us except for one thing- we wish some of our friends and family that we left behind would move here! But family visits and stays with us a lot and friends like to come here for vacation so it works out.

I went back up north for Thanksgiving in 09 and the bitter rain and cold really got to me. I promised to never cross the Mason-Dixon line again and I haven't.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Are you pre Hugo or post Hugo?
Pre-Hugo...rode the storm out on land, had gotten out of the Navy a couple of months before.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxanneself View Post
We moved here almost three years ago from Seattle, and there is very little I miss or regret. My kids miss cold weather and snowboarding and it's been a little tough for them going to scholl with some of the really wealthy mercedes driving teenagers (although I think that's good for my kids, too). I miss my job, but the agency I worked for no longer exists, anyway. The only thing I miss is mountains. I really miss mountains. View from my bedroom window in Washington
Very nice photos, and I enjoyed laughing about the mercedes driving teens (you must mean Mt. P), this is one thing I don't like about Charleston too (Mt. P). I enjoyed the photos and always wanted to visit Seattle (great Music scene).

Old 01-30-2013, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 7,763 times
Please this thread is not to ask questions or respond to posts. This thread. Is for people to freely post their experience on moving here. Where did they come from , do the like it, was it a mistake, was it positive what was their overall experience and feelings.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy55 View Post
Please this thread is not to ask questions or respond to posts. This thread. Is for people to freely post their experience on moving here. Where did they come from , do the like it, was it a mistake, was it positive what was their overall experience and feelings.
No offense, but I don't think you will ever get a thread where people only answer what was asked and not respond to others.

See, I just totally avoided the original posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area