Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM

192 posts, read 409,887 times

Advertisements

Now that we are finally coming into the sort-of-home-stretch of relocating, I am curious about the prices of things in SC vs. MD. I find that here our prices on so many things are through the roof. Gas in my town is $4.00 a gallon this morning...

For instance...

what's the average price for:

a gallon of milk?

a gallon of gas?

a gin and tonic?

a pack of cigarettes?

a loaf of white bread?

a pound of coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM

288 posts, read 495,191 times
I like to use these cost of living calculators when comparing two locations:

Cost of Living comparison calculator
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

However:

a gallon of milk? Depends on brand, but anywhere from $2.50-$3.00+

a gallon of gas? Sitting around $3.40

a gin and tonic? Depends on where you go... $5-$30

a pack of cigarettes? $4+

a loaf of white bread? $1-$2+

a pound of coffee? $4-$20

Getting your cars tags every year are sure as hell more expensive though...

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,596,439 times
This is in Mount Pleasant, the prices may be different in other towns.

a gallon of milk? $3.99 a gallon. I buy a couple when it goes on sale for under $3.

a gallon of gas? I think it was $3.43 for regular today.

a gin and tonic? No idea.

a pack of cigarettes? Depends on the kind. Anywhere from just under $3 a pack - $5 a pack.

a loaf of white bread? Again, depends on the kind. Anywhere from $1.40 a loaf at Walmart to $3.99 a loaf. I usually buy it when it is buy 1 get 1 free. Bread is always on sale somewhere.

a pound of coffee? Depends on the kind. You can get a can of Folgers for around $3.70 a can at Walmart, Maxwell House is around $4 at Walmart. I usually stock up when it goes under $3 a can.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:59 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,323,714 times
How about these:

Average gas/electric bill?

Average car insurance bill for 4 door sedan (1-2 years old)?

Toddler daycare?

Bottle of 1L of Firefly vodka (mmmm)?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM

The gas/electric would depend on the size of your place and what you keep the temp at, unless you have SCE&G. They charge whatever they feel like!

Car insurance would depend on your coverage. I have high coverage and included medical, car rental, and emergency assistance, and pay less than what I paid 12 years ago in a city up north, but it is double of what I was paying in the very small town up north I moved from.

I have no idea on daycare or vodka.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post

Car insurance would depend on your coverage. I have high coverage and included medical, car rental, and emergency assistance, and pay less than what I paid 12 years ago in a city up north, but it is double of what I was paying in the very small town up north I moved from.
That's good to know. Someone up there told me a couple weeks ago that their insurance doubled moving there...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,300,384 times
OK ... I can find a G&T for $4 or $8 ... where shall we go? All over $4 buys you atmosphere.

And SCE&G is just crazy -- not because they are so expensive but because of their "seasonal billing" which everyone gets stuck with -- just a nuts calculation I can rarely make sense of & I'm an accountant. The Post & Courier had a piece about it -- perhaps you can google.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
That's good to know. Someone up there told me a couple weeks ago that their insurance doubled moving there...

You can go online and get quotes from different insurance companies. Just put in any address. That is what I did before moving here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
OK ... I can find a G&T for $4 or $8 ... where shall we go? All over $4 buys you atmosphere.

And SCE&G is just crazy -- not because they are so expensive but because of their "seasonal billing" which everyone gets stuck with -- just a nuts calculation I can rarely make sense of & I'm an accountant. The Post & Courier had a piece about it -- perhaps you can google.

Wish I could be more helpful.
SCE&G drives me crazy! My electric was $175 for December and I barely had the heat on. I did a lot of baking, but not THAT much baking. I would rather be billed according to the electricity I actually use.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
You can go online and get quotes from different insurance companies. Just put in any address. That is what I did before moving here.

SCE&G drives me crazy! My electric was $175 for December and I barely had the heat on. I did a lot of baking, but not THAT much baking. I would rather be billed according to the electricity I actually use.
WOW! That was my bill for the month of December and I live in Upstate NY!!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,300,384 times
[/quote]SCE&G drives me crazy! My electric was $175 for December and I barely had the heat on. I did a lot of baking, but not THAT much baking. I would rather be billed according to the electricity I actually use.[/quote]

It's hard for anyone to believe how we're billed, & harder still to advise a newcomer

BTW, my bill was $219 for a 3 bedroom, 2150 sq ft, 2 story house -- much more than my former 3200 sq ft house in Cincinnati would have been in 57 degree average temp, with a setting at 68 degrees at night.

I agree with Mini: give me actual use rates please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area