Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times

Advertisements

It will be like a culture shock for you but you'll find the cost of living to be much more affordable. We rent our home in the Charlotte, NC area to a family from NYC. I think NYC and DC tend to be very expensive.

I have a friend that is a single mom of three and she does well. She does have their father to help with the cost of raising them but both parents live in houses (she rents and I don't know about him). She moved from the Washington State area.

I bet you could easily rent a home for the price of a dinky apartment in the NYC area. What line of work are you in? Cost of living is cheaper but the pay reflects that, as well. There is so much more information we'd need to know before leading you in any direction....Also, if your daughter is 1, you have a lot more options and don't have to really about the schools for a bit longer. You could live in a decent area with less desirable schools (although those two tend to go hand-in-hand) with the intention of moving before she enters school. Are you looking to rent or buy in the short-term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 PM

817 posts, read 2,004,306 times
People.............. come up for some air.

Give her some time to respond............ if she will come back again ?

We know nothing about her.......... no name, occupation, location etc... but still chooses not to reply to a simply but necessary question.

Perhaps she posted for what ever reason.. could be presently married and thinking of getting away etc etc. weighing her options.. but since she gave us no option...........

Wait... hmmmmm

People........... come up for some air and wait a mo'

Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post
People.............. come up for some air.

Give her some time to respond............ if she will come back again ?

We know nothing about her.......... no name, occupation, location etc... but still chooses not to reply to a simply but necessary question.

Perhaps she posted for what ever reason.. could be presently married and thinking of getting away etc etc. weighing her options.. but since she gave us no option...........

Wait... hmmmmm

People........... come up for some air and wait a mo'
No! We need to help her NOW....it's in our blood.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWold View Post
Why would you generalize the OP to those occupations? And just an FYI, those hourly rates are very common in this area.
He didn't. The rest of his post described other occupations. That's just where he started. Jeez.

Anyway, yes a single parent can make it here. Yes it's different than NYC. No we can't tell you much else without more info from you.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,369 times
As a single mom, you can make it anywhere you put your brains and hard work in.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:07 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lisat View Post
As a single mom, you can make it anywhere you put your brains and hard work in.
Well there's that...

Old 03-12-2013, 12:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Good lord y'all. I've noticed a bit of a biting trend to answers on the board of late. To the OP, yes, you can make it down here. There will be no judgement for you as a single mom. You will likely face the same issues here as you would anywhere being a single mom; namely too little time and good quality daycare. There are some great schools and some great daycare options. All of the aforementioned can bring about any number of recommendations once you decide upon an area that is largely motivated by the price point you want and proximity to work.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 579 times
Good information. I am also considering a move to Charleston SC as a single mom. I work in the hospital as a Certified Surgical Technologist. I am trying to find the safest area for my kids that is near common ammenities. Schools are also important, my high schooler takes AP classes, and I have todler in daycare. I live in Fayetteville NC now, and the pay is ok here. I will graduate with my BA in management in Healthcare Administration next year right before I move. Any more recent info would be great! Thankyou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area