Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:45 AM

23 posts, read 59,427 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lived in Greenville, SC for about 6 years. The economy here is good and there are tons of restaurants, shops, and great schools in the area. There is not too much to say about Greenville that would be negative.

Since moving to the area, I have always loved Charleston, the beach, and Mt. Pleasant. I have a 6 year old and I already know the schools in Mt Pleasant are very good.

Here is my question, for those of you that are familiar with both cities, where would you live? I know that a lot of cities look enticing until you actually move there. Would you give up Greenville for Mt. Pleasant? My current position is a telecommute position so I would not have to worry about finding a job.

We are originally from New York and while I love Greenville, I think we can all agree there is a "bible belt" atmosphere that flows through the communities in Upstate SC. I am all for family values and morals -especially raising a child. Trust me, I would never want to raise my daughter in New York, however i also believe in accepting peoples differences.

To make it in this world, you must understand that people come from everywhere and are all not the same. In Greenville people stop and stare at anyone that is not dressed the same. Its really a bit too much. I know there is a lot of Charleston influence in Mt. Pleasant and that is why I have grown to love the city. So if anyone has an opinion I would love to read it. Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
While Charleston is more a more liberal area, you're still in the Bible Belt.

IMO you get better/more variety of cuisine in Charleston. Outside that, do you like mountains or beaches?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
Charleston is the most Liberal area of the state, you will fit in fine...

Old 05-29-2013, 10:22 AM

I love the beach and the mountains. I am not looking for a "free-love" style city like Asheville but more of a younger refreshing atmoshpere. Greenville can always be found as a top place to retire in AARP ya know. There is nothing wrong with that and maybe Mt Pleasant is the same but I am looking for peoples opinions of both cities.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,732 times
Personally, I would choose Mt. Pleasant, but that is because I love the beach much more than I do the mountains.

However, you do have to be concerned about things like hurricanes living that close as you already know, and the cost of living is going to be higher there than it is in Greenville.

Charleston is definitely going to be more liberal than Greenville, but not by a lot as others as have said as you are still in the 'Bible belt' there.

And OleTomCat, Columbia is actually probably more liberal/Democratic than Charleston is don't you think? Richland County almost always votes majority Democratic while I'm pretty sure Charleston Co. is pro-Republican (some how Mark Sanford was elected in your district for example). [DISCLAIMER: I don't support either party and am Independent.] I realize Lexington County is very conservative so that kind of balances things out in our metro region.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM

Mt. Pleasant is probably more liberal than Greenville, but is more conservative than Charleston. Charleston proper is the most liberal city in the state. It's been my experience that if you are way outside the 'norm' people may stop and look. The question is what's the 'norm'. Most people here tend to be more laid back beachy, but there is a fair amount of yuppy here.

As a whole, most of the religious people I've met have been a 'I have my beliefs, you have yours, I'm not here to judge you, but I'm not going to back down from what I believe either'. Remember Mt. Pleasant was part of the district that re-elected Sanford if that puts things into perspective for you.

As OTC said, you should be fine. But, you tend to get what you're looking for. Come here expecting to find hate and oppression everywhere, and that's probably what you'll see. I have some very liberal friends that live in Mt. P. They do just fine and have a very happy social life with large groups of friends. But then, they don't base their friendship on politics.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:56 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
And OleTomCat, Columbia is actually probably more liberal/Democratic than Charleston is don't you think? Richland County almost always votes majority Democratic while I'm pretty sure Charleston Co. is pro-Republican (some how Mark Sanford was elected in your district for example). [DISCLAIMER: I don't support either party and am Independent.] I realize Lexington County is very conservative so that kind of balances things out in our metro region.
Charleston has elected Joe Riley a Major Liberal Democrat for over 30 years, most of the town council is liberal, I live in Summerville so I don't get a vote for Charleston. Charleston county as a whole went to PBO in the last two elections

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM

It is possible that the tourist and beach industry really influence Charleston communities as well. There are also a lot of colleges in the area too that gives the city a younger vibe.

Greenville has so many international businesses centered around it including BMW, Michelin, GE, Hubbell which really make it an interesting place to live too. I guess I am finding its just not a city that I can call home even after 6 years.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:16 PM

Tourists are good and bad. They congest the roadways and beaches, but pump vital money into the local economy. I've never really tried to put a label on the views of tourists as they are transient. They exist individually for such a short period of time. Downtown does have a large amount of colleges thus the city proper tending to be more liberal than the suburbs such as Mt. Pleasant.

Our beaches around Charleston don't allow alcohol so it's not the party scene that some of the FL beaches may be.

Charleston is really it's own vibe. It's something you have to experience. It's conservative and liberal. It's fully social (with all the good and bad that comes with that). It's history, fine dining, and a lot of focus on locally grown foods. It's not something that's easily put in a bottle and labeled. To me Charleston has always somehow been the last real essence of the genteel South by the sea.

What exactly are you really worried about? Are you the person these people are staring at because of the way you dress? The atmosphere here is going to be a little more laid back than Greenville, but it's not going to be substantial.. as a whole. I wouldn't base my move on that. I would look more at what things you like to do with your kids and compare the two based on that. We spend 80% of our time doing stuff outside work with the family.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
Greenville hands down for one very important reason -- hurricanes. Also, I do prefer the mountains and while I like beaches just fine, I actually prefer Savannah more than Chucktown. If the question had been between Greenville or Savannah, that would take some serious thinking for to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area