Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:12 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, speed limits are designed for some people going over the posted limit. It's an international cultural standard. Look it up. It's actually quite interesting. The concept realizes the fact that true speed limits vary by person and their abilities, traffic, and weather and accounts for the general rule of thumb. It's boringly called the "basic rule". "Limits" are based on the 85th percentile of safe speed, with consideration that people may have to drive slower to be safe or may have the skills and ability to drive faster.

Straight from a retired county sheriff, generally, it's over 10, but never a minimum unless there is a state rule saying "speeding" must be over a certain level. In reality, the police aren't necessarily looking for speeders (unless in a <45 zone for safety reasons). They are usually looking for harsher crimes (drugs, DUI, etc.) and just use speeding as an excuse to pull you over. The retired sheriff asked us what the #1 reason for pulling over DUIs was, as well. We guessed swerving, stop signs, speeding, etc. But interestingly enough, the #1 reason was people leaving their high beams on. He also said quotas are a farce. Oftentimes quotas are illegal in many places, but you also don't want to be the patrol man who comes back to the station at the end of a shift with nothing.

Generally, I drive 5-7 over comfortably past a patrol car. If you're going 65 in a 65, move to the right lane otherwise you're going to cause an accident. It's not necessarily because of a teenage driver that wants to go 90, but it's because most drivers are just plain consistent in their own driving rules and need to drive the same speed all of the time (which is actually safe and efficient). They pass in the right lanes to get by you, which may interfere with merging and exiting traffic. Drive whatever speed you want, but don't assume that you're right and everyone else is wrong, because that's the complete opposite of what the concept of speed limit is even based upon.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 08-19-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 AM

155 posts, read 248,769 times
sorry for "stupid" question, I'm foreigner....
what happens if you drive 80+ in the interstate and an officer stops you ?
just a fine or you will loose your driver licence ?
Here in italy if u go faster 40+ km/h (it means 25 miles/hour) you loose the dl for 3 months
and must pay a fine about 400 euros.
thanks!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:36 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
I believe the law is 25 mph over the limit gives you a trip to jail. Not sure on the drivers license. There's the ticket price and the increase in insurance premiums for around 3 years too.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 PM

183 posts, read 356,767 times
On 26 right before it empties into the Crosstown, when the speed limit changes from 50 to 35, the police could easily sit there and arrest a hundred people in one morning. Most people enter that 35mph zone going at least 60. It always amazes me how little regard people have for the limit.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
On 26 right before it empties into the Crosstown, when the speed limit changes from 50 to 35, the police could easily sit there and arrest a hundred people in one morning. Most people enter that 35mph zone going at least 60. It always amazes me how little regard people have for the limit.
Same for the other side too, People going 35-40 seeing the expressway grade, speed up immediately, not realizing how slow they need to go to make that left turn so quickly.

Not to mention the 55-->40 change coming into MTP over the Ravenel to Coleman.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
The 55 to 40 on 526 to Chuck DAwley -- you have tons of time to slow down and you get lots of warning.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Because putting traffic stops in those locations would cause so much traffic issues that they would be overwhelmed by the number of complaints from the public. They know people speed through there and every once in a while put some people out there as a presence. It's a balancing act of on paper legal speed for liability issues vs the reality of needing to keep traffic moving at a reasonable rate.

Based on metrics, as the number of accidents increase the police presence increases. Because you don't see them when you come through doesn't mean they weren't there at some point during the day.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
Highway Patrol around here is nearly non-existent.

I recently saw more HP officers driving through 1/2 of another state than I have seen here in SC all year long...not just more, but 3 times more. So, in 3 hours of driving in another state (in one direction only) I saw 3 times more patrols than I have seen here all year long. I saw about the same number on the return trip a few days later.

During that same trip I saw zero (0) Highway Patrol cruisers in SC.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:48 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
Highway Patrol around here is nearly non-existent.

I recently saw more HP officers driving through 1/2 of another state than I have seen here in SC all year long...not just more, but 3 times more. So, in 3 hours of driving in another state (in one direction only) I saw 3 times more patrols than I have seen here all year long. I saw about the same number on the return trip a few days later.

During that same trip I saw zero (0) Highway Patrol cruisers in SC.
I would see the highway patrol all the time in the Upstate. Down here? Hardly at all. They were pretty plentiful on I-85 up that way.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:48 PM

I don't normally see highway patrol enforcement inside and close to city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area