Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 AM

422 posts, read 486,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue On Black View Post
From someone there:
Oy. These days, racism really isn't the issue much anymore, it is the false accusations of racism. I also wouldn't be surprised that this party of 25 was drinking prior to going to the restaurant. That, coupled with unrealistic expectations that their huge party could be seated all together in a quick time, proved to be a toxic mix.

This could really hurt Wild Wings business because N. Charleston has a huge black population.

IMO, that's like suggesting sexism or homophobia or rape are not issues much anymore, it is the false accusations of sexism or homophobia or rape. Just because the latter exist doesn't mean that the former isn't an "issue" much anymore.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:59 AM

234 posts, read 382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
IMO, that's like suggesting sexism or homophobia or rape are not issues much anymore, it is the false accusations of sexism or homophobia or rape. Just because the latter exist doesn't mean that the former isn't an "issue" much anymore.
I could be wrong, but I think you're misinterpreting what they're trying to say. I think the point was more that it was more of an instance where the patrons were using the "race card" when it was clearly unnecessary and not viable. I don't think they're saying racism doesn't completely exist. It's obviously less prevalent than it once was in the past.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM

870 posts, read 1,987,694 times
I wasn't there and I don't know what happened. What I do know is:

-A group of people is very vocally claiming they were discriminated against.
-The restaurant is not offering their side of the story but is saying essentially "we are dealing with it and talking to the people involved"
-We are actually only getting one of a possible three sides to the story (yours, mine and the truth)
-The TV interview makes it seem like they were asked to leave when someone in the group began recording a conversation between the manager and a member of the group which is understandable. When the cell phone cameras come out, you can do 99.9% of stuff right and the .1% will get blown out of proportion and come back around to bite you. If there were major/semi-major problems with the group before the cell phone came out, I'd say the manager was justified in making that the last straw.
-According to one poster on the WWC Facebook page, the police were called by the group. I'm curious as to why. Near as I can tell, it isn't against the law for a restaurant to refuse service.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
Very good point. Given that, what is the point of discussing this on here since there is no way to really know what happened??
We can debate the "what if's" and the "maybes" forever, and all it will do is get people riled up for no reason.

We are actually only getting one of a possible three sides to the story (yours, mine and the truth)

Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
I could be wrong, but I think you're misinterpreting what they're trying to say. I think the point was more that it was more of an instance where the patrons were using the "race card" when it was clearly unnecessary and not viable. I don't think they're saying racism doesn't completely exist. It's obviously less prevalent than it once was in the past.

Well, yeah explicit racism is much less prevalent as opposed to traditional, overt hatred for and discrimination against racial/ethnic groups. Our society has made huge strides as far as racial relations go, but there's a big difference in saying something is less prevalent vs saying it's not much of an issue anymore, especially when you're basing it on unsubstantiated claims from a blog comment section.

Statistically speaking, violent crime has dropped by 25% since it peaked in the 80s and early 90s, including gun homicide which is down 49% since 1993 but how many would say violent crime isn't much of an issue anymore because it's less prevalent than it once was in the past?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
Very good point. Given that, what is the point of discussing this on here since there is no way to really know what happened??
We can debate the "what if's" and the "maybes" forever, and all it will do is get people riled up for no reason.

We are actually only getting one of a possible three sides to the story (yours, mine and the truth)

No one is being forced to discuss anything they don't want. I posted the story because it's North Charleston based and making national news.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
I never said anyone was being forced to discuss anything. All I said was that, since none of us know what really happened, it's
counterproductive to be guessing about any part of it.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
It is counterproductive.. I do think that our true feelings and biases show through when we jump to a conclusion. good or bad.....

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue On Black View Post
If this is a racist restaurant, then why haven't we heard this before, numerous stories about blacks being turned away? I'd be surprised if there were not any other black people there that night not associated with this large group.

Restaurants aren't racist, people are (not suggesting that the employees involved are racist). Also restaurants have high turnover rates. I waited tables for one summer and by the end the majority of my co-workers were not the ones I initially started with.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:44 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
I'd have to go with the most likely events to occur. Why would an establishment turn away a party of 25? That's money and you don't turn away money unless there's a real good reason, and overt racism certainly isn't one of them.

I couple that with the fact that the people seem to want more than what the company is offering them seems like it's more opportunistic than any kind of true issue.

I'd have to give my initial nod to Blue on Black's version of the story.

It would seem that if it was true overt racism, they would have turned them away as soon as they came through the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area