Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 AM

3,593 posts, read 4,362,003 times

Advertisements

I'd use a light rail from upper 41 to downtown and the MUSC area.

While I value the focus on history in Charleston, I believe these people have gone over the top with it. I'm for a nicer cruise terminal with more cruise options. They are using these kinds of blocking methods because they clearly don't have the popular support... which speaks volumes IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 08:47 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,507,227 times
Does the harbor even have enough depth to accommodate BIG ships around the clock, both freight and cruiselines? I do see the Emerald Princess is coming in November. That ship is huge. I'm not some smarty pants (apparently) when it comes to how much water a ship needs to move but I know the harbor is not that deep.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,103,603 times
Charleston has the deepest harbor between Norfolk & Miami. It's deep enough.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,246,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
So upsetting that these groups like Coastal Conservation League and the Charleston Historic Society have nothing else to do but protest growth, more jobs, better economy, and a beautiful new cruise terminal

Judge tosses federal permit for SC cruise terminal - WCIV-TV | ABC News 4 - Charleston News, Sports, Weather

Time to move to a more progressive beach one or two states up the coast...
I read the article and it looks to me like the judge denied the permit on a technicality because the Corps didn't perform a legally required analysis. Sounds like everyone involved is confident that the permit will be approved eventually once that is done.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:03 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
I read the article and it looks to me like the judge denied the permit on a technicality because the Corps didn't perform a legally required analysis. Sounds like everyone involved is confident that the permit will be approved eventually once that is done.
I agree that the judge used the technicality issue to throw it out and it 'seems' like they will be able to fix it and move on but I think that those groups will be looking for all the holes in the new submission as well. There is no doubt they are doing everything in their power to slow the process.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,665,887 times
Great news!
The cruise ship are tacky and trashy. There is Ft. Lauderdale/S.Florida if you want this stuff. Charleston is being ruined by this mindset and development. Some places should be off-limits to this type of nonsense. With Charleston's rich heritage and historical significance, it is one of those. HUGE thank you to all that made this possible

Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM

I will say, it seems odd to have the terminal SMACK in the heart of the peninsula. Why not up towards the old Naval Base & include the terminal as part of the rehab project?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,802,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
I will say, it seems odd to have the terminal SMACK in the heart of the peninsula. Why not up towards the old Naval Base & include the terminal as part of the rehab project?
There's not anything to do over there. Downtown people can walk off and they're already where they need to be. Now if there were a light rail that went from the old naval base and took people downtown...

Old 09-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
There's not anything to do over there. Downtown people can walk off and they're already where they need to be. Now if there were a light rail that went from the old naval base and took people downtown...
Most cruise terminals don't have anything to do right off the property. It is a place to embark & disembark. Beyond that, maybe a parking lot. Since when does the terminal itself become the destination?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 AM

73 posts, read 159,041 times
Took my first cruise last year on the Royal Carribbean from Miami. By far the best experience and vacation I ever had. As soon as I get another opportunity, i'll be taking another one. It would be great if Charleston offered similar options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area