Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM

29 posts, read 35,605 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have posted on this board a few times and everyone has been wonderful with providing me with answers, I've learned so much. I currently live in NYC and am planning on moving to Mt Peasant within the next 2 years. I've been looking at homes in Dunes West and Park West along with the ongoing construction of Carolina Park. I am interested in a social, family oriented neighborhood. Although I've been looking at houses in these sections, the real neighborhood I like is I'on. I love the style of houses, they are beautiful and from what I have read on this board, it is a social neighborhood. Right now the cheapest house for sale is $540,000. I am moving from NYC I wont know anyone. I will have small children and looking for a section with homes like I'on (cosmetically and close together) with an amenities center and a social neighborhood for less in Mt Pleasant. Any help anyone could give me would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 03:48 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,560 times
There is a model by Centex I believe that has the pillared front with second floor balcony that reminds me of I'On going up nowadays in Westcott Plantation. Those go for 250k-300k and are in a good school district.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:29 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,957,724 times
That's like asking for something ocean front, but less expensive.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,430 times
Hibben in Mt. Pleasant ... Right in Belle Hall area. Always reminds me of I'on (not as high end, but nor is the price tag). Very pretty community (not inexpensive either though)

Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 AM

74 posts, read 129,957 times
I was going to recommend Hibben, too. My family and I moved to Hibben a month ago and it has all the qualities you're looking for. It's a very active neighborhood with lots of kids and great amenities. There's a pool, playground, basketball court and tennis court shared with the rest of Belle Hall, and Hibben has its own beautiful play park, walking trails and crabbing dock. Hibben itself is relatively small, but because Belle Hall itself is so big and the amenities are accessible to everyone the HOA fees are super-low (around $500 a year).

A quick check on realtor.com shows that prices per square foot in Hibben tend to be about 20-30% lower than in I'On. While there are no houses available right now for under the price of the I'On house you mentioned, you might be able to find what you're looking for if you keep an eye out. What's funny is that houses on Hibben often go up for sale not because the sellers are leaving the neighborhood but because they're upsizing or downsizing to another house in Hibben. In the month I've been here I've met four different families who have done this, and two of them are on their third house in the neighborhood. It seems that once people move here they just don't want to leave

Old 09-21-2013, 12:58 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,665,817 times
I always saw many young families with little nippers all about in Park West. The closeness to schools has its advantages.

Local MTP joke. Why is I'On spelled that way? Because I'Pretentious was to difficult to spell.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:23 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
No matter what you think of I'on -- Park West is no I'on. Hibben is nice. Watermark is kind of the same idea -- houses very close together on small lot. It's a great location too -- easy access to most of the major go to places in MTP

Old 09-21-2013, 04:40 PM

482 posts, read 845,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No matter what you think of I'on -- Park West is no I'on. Hibben is nice. Watermark is kind of the same idea -- houses very close together on small lot. It's a great location too -- easy access to most of the major go to places in MTP
Watermark is nice but you have apartments right next to the houses. I'on is my favorite subdivision in MTP but I wouldn't live in a subdivision again. Been there, done that.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 AM

74 posts, read 129,957 times
We looked at Watermark. I just got sad every time we saw the new construction sites because they cut down every single tree. I feel like a defining attribute of the Charleston area is its sprawling live oak trees, and there wasn't one to be found there. It's always easy to find Watermark on a map because it's the area that looks like it got hit with a bomb. Just compare it to the adjacent neighborhood like Shell Point to see what I mean:

The spacing between houses in that neighborhood is also weird. They're extremely close together and in some cases the distance from the road doesn't vary from house to house, so there were a couple houses we looked at that had bedroom windows perfectly aligned with the house next door. I just imagined making awkward eye contact with the neighbor as we both got out of the shower.

Lastly, even with those minuses, you'll still be paying the same price per square foot in Watermark that you would in Hibben. That's ultimately why we passed on the neighborhood.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,002,303 times
Watermark never had any trees on it. They didn't tear them down. In fact, in most municipalities if there are decent trees worth keeping it is required to keep them.

Yes -- some of the houses are so close together in Watermark -- forget bedroom windows being within next to each other -- how about a bathroom window over looking the backyard next door?!!!!.

It is suppose to be urban living in a suburban setting. Not for everyone for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area