Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:43 PM

6 posts, read 15,550 times

Advertisements

We have decided to move to Mt. Pleasant after the school ends.

We have two young boys. We looked at Daniel Island, but we think we would rather be in Mt. Pleasant.
We like the location of I'on being close to downtown. And within Mt. pleasant.

We don't want to be out like Park West or Dunes West.

I want to know about living in I'on. I know the lots are small and houses close together. We have been in the neighborhood many times because we only live about 2 hours away.

We want a neighborhood with younger kids, pool, club, etc. What we are willing to pay fits within I'on's houses that we have seen. We are looking for 4,000 sq. ft. Or more. 4 bedroom plus.

Do people use the club, pool, etc? We are hoping to meet people. Are there many young families? Do you like the public school in that area?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,489 times
There is only 1 public high school, Wando. And it is a long drive to North Mt P from I'On. Its above Park West, so the drive to school for Wando will be a long one.

The I'On has a pool that is nice. More older people in there than younger. Probably b/c of price.

HOA is very involved and strict. If you like that.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM

7 posts, read 25,265 times
To be honest, I have heard that the previous construction in I'On has been a nightmare for homeowners in the neighborhood. A lot of the houses were built very fast and have had many problems since. I would look up the builder and do some research before jumping in. There are tons of new construction options in Mt P North of the IOP connector. The neighborhoods are great, and the pricing is very competitive. You have to weigh your options as far as schooling for your kids. The Mount Pleasant area public schools are some of the best around(visit CCSD - Charleston County School District - homepage, click reports and statistics on the left hand side of the page to see how they rank county-wide). However, if you live in I'On, you will have more trouble with traffic than if you live somewhere North of IOP connector(only if you are heavily considering Cario Middle and Wando High School). I grew up living in Longpoint subdivision and it is an awesome location...my parents actually still live there. It's very close to 526, and short ride to HWY 17N...very nice community with kids on bicycles, people in yards conversing with neighbors, etc. I would also encourage you to check-out Daniel Island...it is like a massive I'On, but better!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Longpoint is a beautiful community to live in and has options to choose from...easy access to highay 17 and everything......I live further south off of 17 but think you can't go wrong in that area.

I know folks who live in I'on and they have no problems with their home. They do find the additional fees for the amenities to be a bit much and opt out -- even though they could if they wanted to. Other than that -- they love the location, the shcools, etc.

Reality -- school traffic exists everywhere. Sure sure some places worse -- but none of it is ideal. Not enough to not live in an area

Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
I think you'd like I'on from what you've written here. Not sure how young your boys are but there seem to be a lot of kids in the neighborhood and a lot of involved parents so it's full of activities, etc. In fact I have a client who is looking to move out of I'on because she's tired of all the kids! (she's single, retired...) She wants something quieter.

She also says the HOA is too rule-happy for her. Most folks like it there though and while the construction should be top notch given the prices, I think it's pretty average, albeit with a lot of fancy touches thrown in. There are better built places and some not so much, like everywhere.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:35 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,010 times
Coming from the northeast, when I first visited I'ON a little over a year ago I said to myself there's no way in hell I could ever live in this OCD epicenter.

After having lived the last year in South Florida and seen how people live there and in other areas of the south if left unchecked, we now yearn for a community that stays on top of things and makes sure that people's properties remain well maintained, properly landscaped, and doesn't allow a 'me first and the hell with everyone else' free for all.

If you ever read the I'ON guidelines and bylaws it's actually rather comical how seriously they take themselves. Starting with the fact that they refer to the developer as 'the founder,' have lovely inspirational quotes at the beginning of every section, and generally use prose with gravitas reserved for constitutional declarations. That said, once you get past the fluff it's not much different than most HOAs' sets of rules and it basically says that you have to treat your property and the community with respect. There's nothing really in the rules that would prevent you from enjoying your life and a lot in there that prevents other people from devaluing your property. In fact driving through there these days at night is quite beautiful with all the Christmas lights.

Anyhoot, we are awaiting inspection/appraisal results tomorrow and if all goes well we'' be moving there in 60 days. For us, we were willing to sacrifice land space for the location, valuation retention, and convenience, because basically everything is 15 minutes away, be it the the beaches of IoP/SI or downtown, and all daily conveniences are less than five minutes away, in fact if you live in I'ON you can actually walk to get your carton of milk. It sounds like a small thing but it's actually somewhat extraordinary in a suburban setting.

In short, we like it. Not cheap tho.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:35 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,596,699 times
Congrats on finding your "spot"! You sum it up well and I'on's popularity speaks for itself.... most people like it.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 AM

259 posts, read 454,021 times
I loved living in I'ON, its very neighborly by design.

Lots of people hate the small lots since Mt P. and much of
suburbia is predicated on a big yard and space.

The paths around the lakes are beautiful especially at night this time
of year.

Aside from IONs own downtown, you can walk to Bi Lo, Collective
Coffee and O'Quinn

HUGE PLUS: getting downtown via Mathis Ferry is insane convenient.

Congrats on a great choice for picking a home!!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,856 times
Default Neighborhood Recommendations for Family with Teenage Girls!

We may be moving to Mount Pleasant from the North East this summer. We have 2 girls ages 13 and 11. Any recommendations as to whether I'On or Park West would be better for this age group? We'd really like a community where they can make fast friends, as a relocation is tough enough. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmearls View Post
We may be moving to Mount Pleasant from the North East this summer. We have 2 girls ages 13 and 11. Any recommendations as to whether I'On or Park West would be better for this age group? We'd really like a community where they can make fast friends, as a relocation is tough enough. Thanks!
Park West is closer to Wando H.S. Check out Carolina Park too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area