Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 AM

26 posts, read 135,105 times

Advertisements

Moving to the charleston area from Connecticut and looking for a large home on a minimum half acre with a $1M budget. We loved Mt Pleasant because it had all the things we love, restaurants, nice shops, close to beaches and just about every convenience you could think of. Looked at Daniel island (Beresford neighborhood) and it seemed isolated...did we not go far enough into Daniel island to see shops, restaurants etc? Which area is better for a young, social couple (keeping in mind crime rate, resale values etc) ? Any advice appreciated! Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:41 AM

12 posts, read 38,392 times
The heart of Daniel Island contains a town center with a few restaurants and bars right next to the Family Circle tennis center. It's also really only a hop to Mt Pleasant and it's night life as well - 10-15 minutes to the bars off 17 and even quicker for the couple off Long Point. Looking at google maps will give you a good idea.

Mt Pleasant has a ton of neighborhoods so it depends where you're looking. If you're looking along 41 I'd probably prefer Daniel Island to that. The reasons are traffic and proximity. 41 is one lane each way and 17 is flooded with traffic lights. From Daniel Island you just hop onto 526 towards Mt P and have the choice to take the Isle of Palms connector to IOP or the Ben Sawyer bridge to Sullivan's island depending on current traffic. The islands have a connection to each other so either way works regardless of your destination (I prefer Sullivan's btw). From the 41-and-beyond neighborhoods it really only makes sense to take the IOP connector even if it's backed up (which it will be in the heart of summer - over and back).

There are homes in Mt P that have better locations (you've probably seen you can search for "MT P OUT TO 41"). You can find a good home in a good neighborhood but it's a lot more difficult.

My wife and I are a young, social couple as well. We are currently renting for a year off Long point rd - just over the bridge from Daniel Island. We go to the beach basically every weekend once April hits and frequent the Mount Pleasant and Downtown night life. I couldn't imagine living beyond or along 41. When we start looking to buy I'll be looking on Daniel Island and the following Mt P neighborhoods: Old Village, Seaside Farms, Scotts Creek, I'On, Olde Park, Hobcaw Creek Plantation, Snee Farm, and maybe Brickyard.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 AM

BTW -- Most people love the 41 area and don't think it's far at all. I just hate congestion and have been spoiled living so much closer in. You may prefer that area - it is very nice and close to the best schools.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Thank you so much! We looked in Dunes West, Rivertowne Country Club, and Hamlin Plantation so far. We loved all three communities. Other than traffic on 41, are there any other negatives that you know of? What are considered the most desirable neighborhoods on Mt Pleasant and Daniel Island? If you had between $1m and $1.3M and wanted .5+ acres, where would you choose?

Last edited by ctnewbie; 01-22-2014 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Mis spelling

Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM

This site should help a lot -- Real Estate Listings - Charleston MLS - you can put your search criteria in on the right. - for the area I guess you'd select Daniel Island and both of the Mt Pleasants. The acreage shows up in the results.

Dunes West definitely has the most options of .5+ acres but there are some others in there as well.

I think Dunes West is the most desirable area as well, but Park West, Rivertowne, Hamlin, and Brickyard are up there. For Daniel island it's Daniel Island Park.

Also, Carolina Park (Mount Pleasant, SC real estate | Find your new home :: Carolina Park) is aiming to be the next top neighborhood in Mt. P. They're brand new though.

The only other bad thing I've heard about the 41 area neighborhoods are problems with the HOA's. Don't have specifics or anything but you always hear about HOA problems no matter where you are so it's probably not a big deal... You'll have better luck if someone living in the area responds.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
you can afford any area you mentioned, so it's really personal preference

Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
With that budget, I'm looking at water every morning when I wake up.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Thank you so much! I haven't seen brickyard yet but will certainly do so!

Old 01-22-2014, 01:49 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
With that budget, I'm looking at water every morning when I wake up.
definitely

Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM

259 posts, read 454,285 times
I live on Daniel Island and love it but honestly its def not a " town"
in any real sense.Very planned and somewhat sterile,basics are here but not much else. Certainly not the classic CT vein if thats what
your coming from.

I do not find it far at all, five mins to belle hall, 15 to town center,20 to downtown, 10 to Park Circle
( this is good traffic)

Daniel Island Park is the most upscale section.

Although here in Smythe Park there are large lots for 1M and you are not
locked into Club membership on this side of the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area