Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:32 PM

19 posts, read 26,319 times

Advertisements

I have a question for whoever may have an answer. My understanding is that Boeing in Charleston is struggling trying to find good help working on the 787. I hear that mandatory overtime is driving everyone crazy and they feel like they have no life there. This is coming from a few who actually do work there as Flight Techs. Here's my question....there are many people in Everett who have applied for the Flight Readiness position (and others) who are highly skilled workers already with Boeing who just want to transfer to the east coast. Rumors are flying around here that Charleston doesn't want anyone from Everett because they are union workers; however, if one wanted to continue with the union then obviously, they would not be applying for a job at a non-union place. If this is true and Charleston will not even consider hiring anyone from Washington because an individual is part of the union, then this is discrimination!! On to a second rumor....Charleston is assembling a team to come out the Everett and do interviews to transfer there. If this is the case, that would be GREAT, but which of these rumors is true. Does anyone even know for sure?

Last edited by Yac; 03-17-2014 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: links removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:20 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,926 times
You seem upset over gossip...which is why gossip should be banned in every workplace!

Apply for the job if you want.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 PM

So far, everyone who has applied for other jobs there has been turned down, unless they were in a non-union position. It would be nice to be proven wrong about this "gossip". Many have already applied for several jobs. No one was approved for one particular job and all of the others who applied for a different job are still under consideration. This is the 4th job that "we" have applied for. We sit and wait as we are under consideration and then one day, no longer under consideration. We have been with Boeing for a long time with a great work record. Union or non-union, all we want to do is get BACK to the east coast where our families are. So if this is gossip, that's great...but if it's true then it is completely wrong!

Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Unions aren't welcome in SC. I stand by the governor in regards to that.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 PM

No one is trying to bring unions there by applying for a job. It's obvious to anyone trying to transfer there that there is no union. If it were such a big deal then we wouldn't be trying to leave it!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
I golfed with someone that works at Boeing a couple of weekends back. I can't remember where he was based but he said that he has worked at Everett and Charleston. He was brought here because of the work load and will return to his normal spot after a certain point. I feel like he said that he was normally working in Austin.

He answered my questions and made sure to say Everett is full of BS. Charleston is having a hard time because the work load is tough. He said that the same circumstances in Everett would yield the same results. Demands are tough. He made it seem as though Charleston wasn't particular. Demands are tough no matter where you were. He made sure to say that Everett wouldn't be able to handle the demands just the same...and the guy isn't from here...

Some people have mentioned that it may take years to get a job at Boeing. Might be beneficial to apply everywhere and wait for Boeing as they have been rumored to take 3+ years to hire...

Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,102 times
I dont know...6 deliveries in 10 months( one example was a 30 day delivery on a bird that hadn't flown in almost a year, total mess..went out on time)...and thats just ONE stall....Got the chance to work on one of Charleston's finest aircraft..wow, if i were the customer, I would have asked for another airframe. Seriously. You guys have a serious learning curve to cultivate. There is obviously, absolutely, no pride in your workmanship. Go back to flipping burgers. Everett has the one most important thing you don't.....experience. We have people here that do rotations to the South Boeing,,the stories are, well, yall have a long way to go. We dont have it easy here. The timeline is set at 20 (business days) out the hanger and keys to the customer, can you do that? We can......

Old 03-17-2014, 10:41 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuysRule View Post
I dont know...6 deliveries in 10 months( one example was a 30 day delivery on a bird that hadn't flown in almost a year, total mess..went out on time)...and thats just ONE stall....Got the chance to work on one of Charleston's finest aircraft..wow, if i were the customer, I would have asked for another airframe. Seriously. You guys have a serious learning curve to cultivate. There is obviously, absolutely, no pride in your workmanship. Go back to flipping burgers. Everett has the one most important thing you don't.....experience. We have people here that do rotations to the South Boeing,,the stories are, well, yall have a long way to go. We dont have it easy here. The timeline is set at 20 (business days) out the hanger and keys to the customer, can you do that? We can......
For better or worse, the national trend is for governments and corporations to go with the cheapest possible labor. Is why the non-union South is drawing so many companies to relocate and expand down here. The BMW plant in the SC upstate has long been known for its notoriously tough managers who literally time your bathroom break to the second, have no air conditioning in many parts, threaten to fire you on the spot for ONE sick day usage.......and other things that would NEVER EVER fly under a union contract.

BUT, that said, BMW is making their cars cheaper, and providing lots of jobs to that area that otherwise wouldn't be there, and many people I know who have worked there said that the good job and good pay was worth putting up with the bad treatment.

I think human society is cyclical. We're going into a few decades where unions are going to become almost extinct. Employee treatment will get worse and worse. Until eventually, the formation of unions will come back in some form. I doubt it will EVER be tied to the financial promises of the past. But, probably tied more to treatment in the workplace more than money/salary.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
All that said....it should be expected that Boeing Charleston will be a bit slower than Seattle.

Just like freshmen football players coming into a college who wont do things as fast or as well as the junior and senior players.

Its a learning curve, and will take time. All the 20 year veterans at the Seattle plant were at one time a Day 1 employee also.

In 5-10 years, Boeing Charleston's employees will be just fine.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Why should Charleston have to wait 5 to 10 years to be up to par with Everett when there are people in Everett willing to relocate to Charleston and make things happen just a bit faster? Not "union" people....just people! Just because a Boeing employee from Everett moves to Boeing in Charleston doesn't mean they are taking the union with them. As far as I'm concerned, Boeing is Boeing and is only one company, one corporation. Charleston, Everett, Chicago, Florida or wherever....it's just one company. It's the employees that keep it running so there should be no discrimination involved. If someone from Everett would rather be in Charleston or if someone from Charleston would rather be in Everett and there is an open position, then it shouldn't be such a problem. I say that 98% of the employees at Everett are happy and content to be here....but there is that 2% who would prefer the east coast. Is 2% really that scary because they happen to be part of a union in another state? Honestly, if being part of the union was so important to that 2% then they would choose to stay part of the 98%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area