Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 07:52 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

I Know I call people around here picky alot, but even I have to admit those designs are all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:25 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,936 times
I think most of them look fine, except the one on President and Cannon Streets. Looks cheap with little detail.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 AM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
There are 4 mixed use projects on the BAR's agenda
Charleston Regional Business Journal | Charleston, SC
The Jasper looks nice with interesting architectural details. I doubt it will get approval but who knows, maybe by eliminating another couple of floors and decreasing overall building mass.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:23 PM

120 posts, read 153,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I think most of them look fine, except the one on President and Cannon Streets. Looks cheap with little detail.
Agree! That one looks incredibly cheap and bland.

Even though it is located on the edge of the main MUSC footprint on what is already an eyesore of a corner you would think they might step it up just a little bit. I wonder though if the price point will be low to target MUSC students/residents/researchers and consequently mean a more simple (i.e. -- cheap) building design.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:32 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO10 View Post
I wonder though if the price point will be low to target MUSC students/residents/researchers and consequently mean a more simple (i.e. -- cheap) building design.

Just the opposite, 1 block from work/school = $$$$$$$$$$$$. Got to keep the investors happy

How to get quick approval from the BAR? (Make the building look boxy, with a lot of windows).

Last edited by Chs2014; 05-31-2015 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 02:11 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
This isn't the first time Keane left that post. He left in the mid 00s to start his own planning firm and then when the economy went bust Riley brought him back on.

To be honest it looks like he was simply riding out the recession and is looking for a better opportunity.

I've got to disagree about bringing in Duany. He gives a great speech and his firm lays out magazine friendly communities but DPZ's actual buildings are usually big snoozes. And he can be a real azz.

Its going to be humorous if for as unpopular at Sgt Jasper was it proves far less divisive than any of the proposed replacements. It sat on a high cost piece of property and obviously a developer has to maximize the $ potential of a site.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:16 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,065,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
This isn't the first time Keane left that post. He left in the mid 00s to start his own planning firm and then when the economy went bust Riley brought him back on.

To be honest it looks like he was simply riding out the recession and is looking for a better opportunity.
Tim Keane leaving could have as much to do with Mayor Riley's term coming to an end. But it's an opportunity for Keane to move on to a bigger city and paycheck.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:02 AM

184 posts, read 216,076 times
not sure if anyone posted it, but here is the new website for the project on the west side. Formerly called the Horizon District, now WestEdge.

The WestEdge

Since this area is somewhat isolated from the rest of downtown, it would seem like MUSC has a great opportunity to do something less restrained. This is a project that will have a huge impact downtown. Several 8 story buildings on 20 acres, around 3 million square feet of buildings total will eventually be developed. As with anything, it has potential to be either awesome or bland.

Combine this with all of the following, and you have some of the largest projects ever going up at the same time in Charleston.
Courier Square - phase I includes 900,000 sf, 9 story building over 12 acres - Meeting & Columbus
Bennett Hospitality - 8 stories - 200,000 square feet - Marion Square
600 Meeting - 9 stories - 170 rooms - Huger & Meeting St. -
MUSC Children's Hospital - 10 stories

You also have a dozen or more smaller projects such as the proposed building next to East Central Lofts, etc and all of the retrofits at places like Cigar Factory and the new hotel at the old Mendel Rivers building.

Then a new Sgt. Jasper building may also happen, which will fill in between 2 to 4 acres and to an unknown height.

It should be an exciting time for a new planner to come in and manage everyone's lofty expectations.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Looks promising. Area is a blight right now, so glad this is going through. Will also enhance the atmosphere at the Riverdogs Park.

I wonder if theyre gonna give the Marriot a facelift. Itll likely stick out like a sore thumb, and is looking kinda crusty.

I wish they could also look into extending Fishbourne Street over the Ashely River into West Ashley. We're gonna need another entrance in soon or we'll be fadong some major bottleneck issues.

And will something please move in beside McDonalds? That property is such an eyesore. I could swear Chick fil A was planned there a couple years ago and then just vanished, and I thought there was CVS rumors. Spring being a 1-way there, and being that close to the intersection makes that stretch difficult to get in and out of. I guess no one will desire that property until thats fixed.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 06-01-2015 at 11:28 AM..

Old 06-01-2015, 12:54 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
I believe a hotel is planned in that spot. Right now it's used as a smoking destination for MUSC workers in the Harborview Tower as it's considered "off campus".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area