Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 11:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I watch the market a lot, I love to dig into the metrics of things and here's one that's concerning or at least making me raise an eyebrow.

August 2018 Months supply for the Charleston Trident MLS is 3.5 months, this is all homes, new and used, condos, multi-family, etc.

The last time we hit 3.5 months was in December 2005. The lowest this market has seen historically is 2.9 months the summer before the bubble burst in June of 2005.

We are seeing a slight cooling of pricing as we get into the slow season with Price and Price per square foot falling off a bit, but days on market is still really strong at 15 days. With pricing near record highs and low supply, I expect that even while interest rates continue to climb, this is a really strong market, at least for the near future.

I'm just wondering how high we can climb before the eventual cool down happens?
One way to look at it is that the market never really stopped growing. The housing market crash in retrospect seems more like a temporary blip than a long term trend, possibly due to the subprime mortgage defaults as opposed to an actual drop in demand. So as soon as the subprime mortgage lending market collapsed and economy recovered, prices eventually headed back to where they left off but without the riskier mortgages.

That’s my theory anyway. As to why prices were increasing in the first place I have no clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 06:20 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
One way to look at it is that the market never really stopped growing. The housing market crash in retrospect seems more like a temporary blip than a long term trend, possibly due to the subprime mortgage defaults as opposed to an actual drop in demand. So as soon as the subprime mortgage lending market collapsed and economy recovered, prices eventually headed back to where they left off but without the riskier mortgages.

That’s my theory anyway. As to why prices were increasing in the first place I have no clue.
As usual … demand is the culprit.... A bit ago someone posted a study in part covering housing availability in the metro … population grew by 11% … housing starts only grew by 6% … hence the price of housing... purchase and rentals … feel the pinch.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:52 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
In the back of Tanner Plantation in Hanahan, back on the Goose Creek Reservoir, Lennar homes is getting ready to open a new sub-section called Scenic Point, prices in the 300's. Here's a link to their page: https://www.lennar.com/New-Homes/Sou...SAAEgK1JfD_BwE

Old 09-25-2018, 07:58 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
The 40 Line St Project goes before the BAR at their 9/26 meeting for preliminary approval.

Updated project drawings start on Page 79. This is going to be a major downtown project and greatly improve the peninsula gateway.

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaC..._09262018-4085

Old 09-25-2018, 08:06 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
The 40 Line St Project goes before the BAR at their 9/26 meeting for preliminary approval.

Updated project drawings start on Page 79. This is going to be a major downtown project and greatly improve the peninsula gateway.

http://www.charleston-sc.gov/AgendaC..._09262018-4085
Wonder what effect this will have on the crosstown traffic during peak times?

Old 09-26-2018, 06:03 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
IMO the Crosstown needs raised express lanes that connect to the James Island Expressway and Savanna Highway with exits that drop into the medical district and Lockwood.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:50 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
IMO the Crosstown needs raised express lanes that connect to the James Island Expressway and Savanna Highway with exits that drop into the medical district and Lockwood.
To late for that now. Should have been built like that in the first place.
S. C. Highway Dept. always short sighted and always looking for the cheapest way out.
They need a planning dept.
I remember planning on the James Island bridge at the end of Calhoun Street they were advised to use concrete beams, but they argued that they would prefer steel because it was cheaper. They were finally convinced that concrete would look better, last longer and require less maintence, so in the long run be cheaper.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times
Q2 '18 construction activity report from the BCDC Council of Government:

https://bcdcog.com/wp-content/upload...erly-Q2Y18.pdf

Old 09-28-2018, 06:44 AM

36 posts, read 28,292 times
I have long bemoaned having to descend into downtown from JIC and take congested Courtenay through MUSC to rejoin the Xtown. But we are long past the point of having an elevated exit- less straight shot to the Rav or 26. Oh what could have been.....

Old 09-28-2018, 09:11 PM

12,898 posts, read 18,751,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasviewer View Post
I have long bemoaned having to descend into downtown from JIC and take congested Courtenay through MUSC to rejoin the Xtown. But we are long past the point of having an elevated exit- less straight shot to the Rav or 26. Oh what could have been.....
I usually hang a left on Ashley and a right on the Crosstown. Lockwood's usually a bottleneck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area