Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 PM

5 posts, read 17,233 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

So I currently work for Verizon Wireless which has closed its doors to a corporate call center here in Pittsburgh. They offered a relocation package with paid expenses and a lump sum payment of money to start new if your willing to work in their North Charleston Call Center. I ACCEPTED that offer! I am 20 years old, single and born and raised in Pittsburgh and figure there wouldnt be much to lose. I currently have my own apartment in Pittsburgh so I am not the average young guy still at home in college. My parents are supportive of my lifestyle and working fulltime. I also take online business classes which Verizon pays for as well so I can work on a associates. Anyways, I found a nice townhome for $900 a month in North Charleston about 5 minutes away from my job. $900 a month in Charleston and $900 a month in Pittsburgh for rent is like the difference between a 1 bedroom apartment or a 1,100 sq ft townhome. I herd many negative things about this area but coming from a major city I am pretty much use to anything. I been to the area recently for a week visiting for work and to explore around since I will soon be moving in. I love how vibrant Downtown Charleston is and the atmosphere is well balanced with the younger crowd and the professional crowd. I am really just looking for any tips and advice on anything possible about moving/living in Charleston SC ohh and of course how is the dating scene I herd Charleston is home to some of the most beautiful and gorgeous women. So what does everyone else think?

- I am stable with job security and health benefits
- I also do own and just recently paid off a newer car so transportation is no issue
- I enjoy the heat and would take 90degrees and humidty over fridgit winters and short summers
- Am a pretty social, active guy and fit in with my surroundings, always up for trying new activities and things to do

Thank You for any advise thats given!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:05 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
This is my go to place to live when I have clients relocating that are 20 somethings. Atlantic Palms Apartment Rentals Ask for Jenn... They run from $795 to $1100 per month depending on floor plan and have some killer amenities. This place sits right off the interstate, across the street from Charleston Southern University (college girls), and is smack dab in the middle of everything.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 03-28-2014 at 02:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2014, 04:53 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
Small world but I'm also from Pittsburgh AND unfortunately my cousin is losing her job with Verizon in the Youngstown area. I've lived in SC since I was 17 (now 25) and rarely go back to PA. It's a world of a difference. I would honestly try and find rentals in West Ashley vs North Charleston. I bet some will chime in with their recommendations or you can search the forum for past posts.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:47 AM

207 posts, read 273,094 times
I would imagine that if you can keep yourself out of trouble in Pittsburgh you won't have any problems in N Charleston. You're young, the world is your oyster!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:18 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Sounds like you have everything figured out. Good job and welcome! If you don't like the apt you can always move. I always chose a 6 month term when I was single in case it was a hell apartment.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This is my go to place to live when I have clients relocating that are 20 somethings. Atlantic Palms Apartment Rentals Ask for Jenn... They run from $795 to $1100 per month depending on floor plan and have some killer amenities. This place sits right off the interstate, across the street from Charleston Southern University (college girls), and is smack dab in the middle of everything.
Thank You for that I will defiently keep that in mind for future properties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
Small world but I'm also from Pittsburgh AND unfortunately my cousin is losing her job with Verizon in the Youngstown area. I've lived in SC since I was 17 (now 25) and rarely go back to PA. It's a world of a difference. I would honestly try and find rentals in West Ashley vs North Charleston. I bet some will chime in with their recommendations or you can search the forum for past posts.
Always glad to know that I wont be a alone yankee then haha! I agree with you 100% I dont think I will be returning to PA anytime soon, Charleston is just to nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynn View Post
Sounds like you have everything figured out. Good job and welcome! If you don't like the apt you can always move. I always chose a 6 month term when I was single in case it was a hell apartment.
That is exactly what I did, I chose a 6 month lease, I do have to remain in the area for at least 2 years since I agreed to take relocation assistance thru Verizon. If all works out with the current place I will just prob renew the lease if not 6 months wont be to bad lol

Last edited by Yac; 03-31-2014 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
I think you'll really like it here. I have a friend who works at that Verizon and he likes it there, but he's also an older guy with lots of experience. There are lots of rentals available in North Charleston and West Ashley, you have to be careful which neighborhoods you go to, but there are great threads on this board with advice on rentals... you are 20 and don't have anything to lose really, so I'd go for it. Kudos for you living on your own at 20 too, that is awesome .

Old 03-28-2014, 04:41 PM

The complex I am going to rent in is called Northwoods Townhomes, the reviews look great! My goal is to build up my experience with the company and work my way up the ladder!
Thank you tho for the positive feedback, I greatly appericate it!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Make sure you get downtown regularly for the women...my oh my the women...

Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 PM

21 posts, read 63,070 times
Northwoods townhomes is a good place to live. I used to work at that call center you are talkin about years ago, and i lived in West Ashley at the time, and it was an easy drive to work. Just take 526 to mall dr. From where you'll be on Greenridge Rd, all the way up rivers (52) is going to be your best bet traffic wise, just be weary of traffic depending on what shift you pick up. And as stated before, don't venture off into unfamiliar territory out there. From pittsburgh or not, danger is danger anywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area