Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:45 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times

Advertisements

I've seen dogs fight, but never like what I saw that day.
The power of the jaw and razor sharp teeth, as well as hair trigger attack mode are terrifying.
Thankfully, with two brave guys (who just happened to be there) coming to my dog's rescue, she survived.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:35 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Can we get a ban on chihuahuas -- I have never met a chihuahua that was a decent dog They aren't cuddily, they don't listen and they BITE. My cousin got bit by a collie -- I think we should ban those too.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Shih tzus, chihuahuas rank among NYC’s most ‘vicious’ breeds | National Post

Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,101,409 times
Difference is, Chihuahuas, shih tzus, yorkies, etc. don't MAUL. They're too small! There is a reason pits are banned from most apartments: The liability is way too high!

No matter what one says, these dogs are bred for the hunt. Breed them properly if you wish, but there's no guarantee they wont turn. Many do, and the results are heartbreaking.

Why anyone who own one of these vicious breeds is beyond me.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:56 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,960,316 times
So you say... I was attacked by pit bulls once while walking my dog, there were 2 of them and they looked to be maybe 6 months old by their size, not much of an issue though they were so weak I was able to pry their jaws off my dogs neck, never even broke either of our skin.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM

13 posts, read 40,573 times
Well my son is eight months old now and hasn't been attacked by my "dangerous dog." As for those who wonder why I have a dog, it's for companionship. If owning a pitbull isn't your cup of tea, don't own one! Simple As That. No need to bash others because they choose to. I don't have to explain myself to disrespectful strangers on the internet, which is a hot commodity in general. If any of you would like to discuss this in person as educated adults, with unbiased facts from both sides, don't hesitate to let me know. I would LOVE to see if the demeanor stays the same in person, instead of behind a computer screen. Not a threat, its a sincere invitation for a friendly debate. Have a great day "ya'll" and be blessed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Aside from the dangerous-or-not debate, I've often wondered why people get a dog of this type in the first place when it causes them such hassles in obtaining places to live? Just curious.
I'm curious about a lot of things in Charleston. Maybe we can go on a hunt for answers to our questions 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I have the same question. Unless you're dog fighting or trying to look like a tough little street thug, what's the purpose of having a pitbull? There are plenty of other breeds that are similar size, etc but don't carry the risk.

My sis-in-law had a pit and while no dog on earth was cared for or loved more, I still made them put her in her crate whenever we came over with my kids. No matter what someone says, I just don't trust that breed. Statistics don't lie.

Had it been a collie, lab, retriever, even a German Shepard or Doberman, I'd have no problem letting my kids be around those dogs, but no way, no how on a pitbull.
That's your personal choice. Good for you! Again, whatever is best for you and yours. Whatever that may be, isn't my job to judge or bash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
This is why it's dangerous the trendy aspect, responsibility comes second. Impulse owning is what causes trouble for "Pitbulls". The type of person who "Rents" but must have a "pitbull" doesn't make any sense. This thread makes it seem like the "Landlord" is the bad guy.
There are plenty of horrible landlords out in the world for a variety of reasons. I'm just hoping that one day there won't be one that is so closed minded, like the majority of the population here. But thanks for your two cents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
I did read part of your link, only to find out it's stuff I've read many times in the past.

I'm not sure why you find it necessary to insult people that don't agree with your opinion, which is all is it, or why you act like you think you know it all about this subject... but you obviously don't

ever hear of David Tant? he happens to be in my extended family, if you look him up you may learn something about this subject... I'm pretty sure he's forgotten more about this breed than you'll ever know, it's no secret why he chose this breed...

your sarcasm doesn't further your false cause, keep it up and you'll convince even more people on a public forum what kind of people like pitbulls...

like others have said, why would you even take a chance or complicate your life by owning one of these dogs with so much concrete proof standing against them? that's not ignorance, that's pure stupidity....

another link The TRUTH About Pit Bulls: Human Aggression, Animal Aggression, Culled Man-biters and The Desecration of Truth

these dogs were bred and culled for the pits, hence the name pitbull... and you think you can BS someone otherwise exactly how? get real and pick a better cause to stick up for....
I hope you find an answer one day. Best of luck! ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown822 View Post
In North Charleston, as far as I know, 7910 Crossroads Dr doesn't have breed restrictions. I also lived on Harbour Lake Dr with my pitties for quite some time. But Crossroads Dr would be a lot closer to the AFB. Best of luck on any relocations! And just know that not everyone here is an idiot
You have given me hope about the people in this city!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
so sorry to hear....

I can't for the life of me understand why people try to protect this breed, or even pretend like the rest of the world are the stupid ones because they don't trust pitbulls.

There is so much overwhelming evidence against this breed being any kind of a family dog that there is no excuse for this breed to even exist anymore. It was a man made breed we need to unmake, sterilize them all until they are no more...

because you have one that hasn't turned yet doesn't make keeping this breed as a whole worth the human lives it has taken over the years... unlike any other breed there are hundreds of cases of human deaths and maulings from this breed, and yet some people still defend them... preserving this breed serves no purpose IMHO
Thanks again for another honest opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Can we get a ban on chihuahuas -- I have never met a chihuahua that was a decent dog They aren't cuddily, they don't listen and they BITE. My cousin got bit by a collie -- I think we should ban those too.
Perhaps some will suggest sterilization! Cats are pretty sneaky and mean most of the time.. it's time to take a hard look at cats. I fear for all cat owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Difference is, Chihuahuas, shih tzus, yorkies, etc. don't MAUL. They're too small! There is a reason pits are banned from most apartments: The liability is way too high!

No matter what one says, these dogs are bred for the hunt. Breed them properly if you wish, but there's no guarantee they wont turn. Many do, and the results are heartbreaking.

Why anyone who own one of these vicious breeds is beyond me.
To each their own. Glad you have found your unique happiness!

Last edited by Yac; 10-31-2014 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: 9 (!!!!) posts in a row merged. Please learn to multiquote

Old 10-30-2014, 10:37 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeLover View Post
Well my son is eight months old now and hasn't been attacked by my "dangerous dog." As for those who wonder why I have a dog, it's for companionship. If owning a pitbull isn't your cup of tea, don't own one! Simple As That. No need to bash others because they choose to. I don't have to explain myself to disrespectful strangers on the internet, which is a hot commodity in general. If any of you would like to discuss this in person as educated adults, with unbiased facts from both sides, don't hesitate to let me know. I would LOVE to see if the demeanor stays the same in person, instead of behind a computer screen. Not a threat, its a sincere invitation for a friendly debate. Have a great day "ya'll" and be blessed.
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude, but you have a pitbull and an 8 month old?

I pray I never read about you in the newspaper. Because if I do, I'm sure it will have lots of those "but he was such a sweet and loving dog. He never, ever showed any aggression....." comments.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Some people just refuse to believe facts and statistics.

"The sky is blue"
"No it's not"

Old 10-30-2014, 06:27 PM

13 posts, read 40,573 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude, but you have a pitbull and an 8 month old?

I pray I never read about you in the newspaper. Because if I do, I'm sure it will have lots of those "but he was such a sweet and loving dog. He never, ever showed any aggression....." comments.
My dog is a female

Quote:
Some people just refuse to believe facts and statistics.

"The sky is blue"
"No it's not"
Some people are stubborn and close minded.
Yet again, to each their own.
You don't like pit bulls. I get it.
That's great!
I do, and you're bashing and judging my character for doing so.
that's also fine.
It is entirely in your personal right to do so.
I'll take you seriously when you can say it in person as a rational open minded adult. If indeed you are an adult.
Until then, I take your aggressive comments lightly.
Feel free to PM me if you would like to respectfully prove your point one day. Have a good evening lenniel.

Last edited by Yac; 10-31-2014 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: 2 posts merged

Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeLover View Post
My dog is a female

Some people are stubborn and close minded.
Yet again, to each their own.
You don't like pit bulls. I get it.
That's great!
I do, and you're bashing and judging my character for doing so.
that's also fine.
It is entirely in your personal right to do so.
I'll take you seriously when you can say it in person as a rational open minded adult. If indeed you are an adult.
Until then, I take your aggressive comments lightly.
Feel free to PM me if you would like to respectfully prove your point one day. Have a good evening lenniel.
So, what you're saying is I should take time out of my day, drive somewhere to meet you, just to tell it to your face that I don't think having an 8 month old and a pitbull living in the same house is smart? Or, even having a pitbull at all is smart?

This has nothing to do with me being stubborn or close minded, which you apparently seem to be because you don't believe in statistics.
This has to do with hoping that your child doesn't become one.

If you're willing to read about the myriad of storing of pitbulls mauling kids, I doubt you'll ever read comments from the owner stating "Yeh, we thought this was a possibility but just wouldn't happen to us".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area