Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 05:04 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times

Advertisements

There's more information out on the main news sites now. People on Facebook say these carriage rides need to stop, not for the reason the OP mentions, but they feel horses are meant for the country, not the city.

In this case today, the horse was spooked. I can get where they are coming from. This isn't the 1700s anymore. I may not mind the carriages but after reading some of the comments from locals, I do agree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:18 AM

363 posts, read 439,862 times
I just got back from visiting Charleston and yes, I took a carriage ride. $84 for the four of us, not bad, but still...Anyway, in my opinion, when in Rome, etc. I dug it that the traffic was slower due to the carriages. Didn't mind the smell one bit. Well, that's prob just me, I garden and aactually Like the smell of manure. Lol! We were wandering around one evening and this nut actually honked at one of the carriages before he zipped around it, narrowly missing the horse. Could've been the same horse who lost his **** the next day for all I know. We joined right in with a local gal who yelled "Go back to New York!" at the impatient driver. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Haha, well Prairie girl , I am glad you liked your ride. Little expensive, but glad you liked it, and saw some action with a upset driver from New York. Are you sure, it very well could have been a local that was upset with the carriage! hehe Are you sure you didn't see a car with a truck plate on it?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:44 AM

363 posts, read 439,862 times
We didn't look at the plate haha. I guess I thought it was a generic thing to say to people in a big hurry to get to the next light. I live outside of Chicago and to drive here you've got to go insanely fast or you'll get ran over on the highways. I can't drive downtown, not that crazy yet. One of the appeals of Charleston was the slower paced traffic.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
^^ I like to describe drivers here as "malevolently suicidal."

Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM

17 posts, read 24,533 times
My wife loves to watch House Hunter and one of the episodes was on a couple who were looking to buy a half a million dollar vacation home in the Charleston aka staying in it a couple times a year. Yes, half a million for a vacation home. They were from Massachusetts and the wife was a huge animal activist that was disgusted by the horse carriages in Charleston. They looked at this house, http://goo.gl/maps/4N9af which they declined to buy it because the carriages were too close to the house they looked at. My company gave me a paid tour downtown talking about the history of the district. I came across the house on the tour so I called up my wife saying "Hey honey, do you remember that pretentious couple on House Hunter looking at the yellow house?" "Ya?" "I'm standing in front of it." She was a bit jealous that I got to go there without her.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitian View Post
My wife loves to watch House Hunter and one of the episodes was on a couple who were looking to buy a half a million dollar vacation home in the Charleston aka staying in it a couple times a year. Yes, half a million for a vacation home. They were from Massachusetts and the wife was a huge animal activist that was disgusted by the horse carriages in Charleston. They looked at this house, http://goo.gl/maps/4N9af which they declined to buy it because the carriages were too close to the house they looked at. My company gave me a paid tour downtown talking about the history of the district. I came across the house on the tour so I called up my wife saying "Hey honey, do you remember that pretentious couple on House Hunter looking at the yellow house?" "Ya?" "I'm standing in front of it." She was a bit jealous that I got to go there without her.
I can't even stand to watch House Hunters as most of the time the show is all set up. And if I'm thinking of the same couple (I didn't watch the whole episode because the wife was way too picky for a historic home), they would be renting it out as a vacation home, so they would be getting the mortgage covered or most of it paid for.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 24,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
I can't even stand to watch House Hunters as most of the time the show is all set up. And if I'm thinking of the same couple (I didn't watch the whole episode because the wife was way too picky for a historic home), they would be renting it out as a vacation home, so they would be getting the mortgage covered or most of it paid for.
They didn't explain that in the episode. However it does make sense if they do rent it out. But using it as a vacation home and renting it out can kind of be an issue, wouldn't you think? Unless there's something I don't know. Like I said, she was very pretentious in the episode and it made me mad at their decision thinking. The husband didn't care too much but yes the wife was way too damn picky.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times
Quote:
They didn't explain that in the episode. However it does make sense if they do rent it out. But using it as a vacation home and renting it out can kind of be an issue, wouldn't you think? Unless there's something I don't know. Like I said, she was very pretentious in the episode and it made me mad at their decision thinking. The husband didn't care too much but yes the wife was way too damn picky.

I live near that area and the house down the street was renting for 10k a month for 4 cofc students

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
It could have been a different episode then. People may rent out their home during the academic year to a CofC student and use the home in the summer. Or sometimes the homes are built to be set up like duplexes so the owners could visit whenever.

But after realizing the show is sometimes fake, I can't watch it. For example, HGTV came to my parents neighborhood and asked one of the neighbors if they could pay them to use their home in a episode. It's a bummer because I loved the show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area