Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 03:36 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,022,256 times

Advertisements

We were just in the area - stayed on Daniel Island this time since our appointments to see apartments were there and the Eastwood Design Center was on Clements Ferry 5 min away.

I saw that there is a UBS office on Daniel Island. I started researching a bit, and see that there are a ton of financial firms on Daniel Island.

I've been in financial services the last 16 years. Although I had a practice which I built at Smith Barney, I have since given up my book and find I like the "back end" - operations, planning, client service better.

I've searched the job boards and hardly ever see positions in financial services, so I am going to school now for refresher courses in Medical Administration/Billing/Coding since that was my field prior to financial services.

My licenses in financial services will expire if I do not sign on with a firm before next May, so I'd really like to stay in that field - even PT just to keep my licenses. Does anyone know how hard it is to get a job in this field in either DI/MP? Not sure I want to be driving into the city. Is it a "closed" industry where you have to know someone?

I imagine it would be very hard to be a broker and build a book of business without knowing anyone, but I am not looking to start over. Just would like to join a firm as a registered support person. I'm going to be sending cold inquiries out, just thought I'd check if anyone had any inside info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,428,218 times
While there are a multitude of Financial firms located on DI and MTP ...they are heavily weighted to asset management. Many transplants arriving here and are in financial services are from the NYC/ So Ct and Boston areas and do arrive with a book. I wouldnt rule out downtown tho ...its a 20 minute ride and there are a goodly number of firms there as well ... UBS does have an additional office there as an example. It will be tough without that book . Your idea of refreshing your med tech skills might be a smart idea .. its a area where demand for competent people are always in demand and is growing rapidly.
I don't know of many folks who found employment by sending cold resume's...you might want to come down and hit the universe of firms here with personal visits ... its just too easy to circular file blind resume's.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:33 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,022,256 times
Hi cynic1, thanks so much for the info!

I understand that financial firms want to bring people on with a book of business - not without one. However, that almost always applies to brokers/financial consultants, not to support personnel.

I am looking for a support position - take care of client issues, disbursement of funds, trade execution for the brokers, meeting prep, proposals, etc., NOT to return to being an advisor. It's an added benefit to an advisor to have someone registered so that they can do trades, etc.

I wouldn't send out resumes blind, but might connect via Linked In with people, to see what their hiring needs are. I've found Linked In a great networking platform.

Will keep downtown on the radar then. It's not far from where we are building on Johns Island.

My husband and I also plan to start a dog walking/pet sitting business in addition to the natural pet products business I own, so will have 3 irons in the fire! Hopefully we can cobble together a decent living between that and my husband's pension. As a financial advisor, I'm being careful, and we've based our home purchase/other living expenses on my husband's pension income alone. The rest - pet businesses and my employment - will be "fun" money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area