Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,464 times

Advertisements

I had a real unsettling experience today at Roper St.Francis hospital in Mount Pleasant. Anyone who
is considering about receiving any type of future health care from this institution should read on.
This morning my 76 elderly father was scheduled to go in to Roper for kidney stone surgery.
His appointment for the surgery was for 6am.I drove him to hospital,and when we walked in through the entrance to outpatient services,we noticed how there was absolutely no one as far as the eye can see.
We continued to walk down hallway to the elevator lobby and there even wasn't a security guard at the desk.Sure it was 6am,but we found it unusual considering this was a newly built hospital,it seemed deserted,but when we took the elevator up to the second floor and walked into the surgical urologist waiting room here is where the problem began.
My father being somewhat nervous which is 100% understandable,made a remark to the receptionist after she asked him if he had any trouble locating the department."Its so quiet in here a bomb could go off and nobody would hear it."
This innocent post surgery jitter remark and true observation sent into motion a chain of events
at the hospital that bordered on hysteria underscored with lack of common sense.My father was brought into his room so he could be prepared for the kidney stone surgery,about 40 minutes later a couple of nurses came out into the waiting room to usher me down the hallway to see my father.
Im in his room having conversation with him,letting him know not to worry,im sure the surgery
will go as planned.Before u can say "overreaction"-The head physician,a newbie hire nurse,and a security guard come in and starts to lecture my dad on how it is the hospitals policy to notify law enforcement when anyone says the words he used.I could not believe it!
First of all,after researching into this today I discovered what they said wasn't entirely true,All medical facilities in the State of South Carolina are mandated to report any terroristic threats that a patient or visitor makes.
My father did not make a threat,he made a light hearted nervous remark about his observation that the hospital was borderline vacant,could he used a better choice of words in a post 911 world? You bet!
Secondly my father was not engaging in any suspicious activities whatsoever and security new this considering they have the place under cctv survellance.
But yet they deemed it absolutely necessary to call the Mount Pleasant police and get them involved while my eldery father was under anesthesia,undergoing surgery.
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS! So after going through the humiliation of explaining to the police my father ment know harm,while the security guard to add insult lied and told them I had said something too in a effort cover his ass,i realized these people are very ignorant,unprofessional and should not have treated my father and me in this way.Again he could have used a better choice of words,but to tell u the truth it should never gotten as far as it did if ROPER would have exercised just a smidge of common sense.He ended up surviving the surgery,and was discharged and we were not arrested.I will never recommend anyone Roper St.Francis health care,and I suggest you don't either
Because THE HOSPITAL ROOMS WERE NOT THE ONLY THING VACANT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,962,316 times
Although I understand why you might be angry, it's not like they did anything and I doubt any of them were really taking anything seriously they are simply required to report it if someone makes a remark like that. Not only that but how does what your grandfather said make any sense, if it was loud in there that would be a logical thing to say I suppose but saying "it's so quiet a bomb could go off and no one would hear it" just seems rather odd.....

Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,991 times
Hospitals are serious places. Uttering the word "bomb", no matter the context isn't a wise thing to say in public, post 9-11. If anything, I'm glad security checked on you, makes me feel safer.

Take 2 deep breaths, father's surgery turned out alright, and no one got arrested..No need to flame this hospital

Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,320,272 times
Sounds like the entire hospital is employed by people from the Northeast; One little thing and everyone's up in arms.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 PM

2,315 posts, read 2,962,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Sounds like the entire hospital is employed by people from the Northeast; One little thing and everyone's up in arms.
The only person who seems to be "up in arms" is the OP.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Yep, hate to say it but there's certain things you just don't say, regardless of how unlikely the scenario:
'Hijack' in an airport
'fire' in a movie theatre
'bomb' anywhere.
Even though everyone involved knew your father was just making a joke, they still are just doing their job.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,357,350 times
No, they highly over reacted. There's a point where one has to engage your brain and make a realistic determination if the person was making a threat. Sounds to me like this was not the case. The OP should write directly to Roper's administration. Had that same situation happened to me I'd be livid too.

However, there have been many studies that show a quiet hospital tends to have a soothing reasuring effect on patients over a bustling semi-chaotic one. The Mt.P hospital is more of an overnight/outpatient type of facility. Its main focus is what they call 'bread and butter' cases. Low risk of complication easy stuff.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,282,273 times
That is beyond ridiculous. I'm with the OP on this one. Thank you so much for the warning and I'm sorry for what your dad had to go through.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 PM

120 posts, read 236,994 times
To me the more important point is that the OP and her father were able to walk all through the hospital and to the second floor without (apparently) being observed by or challenged by anyone. What if they actually had been up to no good?

Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
I have used Roper in Mt. Pleasant, I'm sorry your experience was a bad one, I went at a different time frame than you as my emergency was at 1am. I had a much different experience than you as I felt it was a wonderful experience. Living in Houston TX for 10 years I learned something about Charleston when I moved back, we have an AWESOME heath care sector here. Didn't matter where you went in Houston, pick a hospital, you would be in the emergency room for 4 hours minimum wait. I've waited as long as 10 hours before being seen. Most of those ahead of you are uninsured and they really clog up the system in a larger metro. To find no one around to wait on you I would consider a blessing in that at least there's not 5,000 people in front of me in line. It's all how you approach a situation I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area