Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 AM

58 posts, read 82,350 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating to James Island from PA. Will be moving at the end of the month. When we were down there over the holiday we secured a rental on the island. We can't wait move!

I'm trying to find any jogging or walking trails that are on the island. I know there are some in the large James Island County Park, but that is on the west side of the island and we are east and south. Are there any other options anyone can recommend?

Our house in PA is being sold furnished, so we will likely need to purchase a good deal of 'stuff'. Any recommendations for a local furniture store that delivers?

Any restaurants that are a must-try (and/or any to avoid)?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
The County park or Folly Beach are your best bets for jogging areas. There are small areas for short walks like Sunrise Park by the James Island Yacht Club, but they're not big enough for jogging. The Marine Research Center at the end of Ft Johnson Rd has some minor trails with an occasional informational plaque and the whole complex itself might serve as a different kind of "industrial" jog on occasion.
There's also a small park/historic area on Ft Lamar Rd which is worthy of a stroll but not big enough for anything more. James Island is pretty built out these days and the County park is probably as good as it's going to get. The park is nice though and has a good number of trails laced throughout.

Where are you from in PA? I grew up outside of Philly.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 AM

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it. We are coming from the Lehigh Valley (about an hour outside Philly).

Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,595,936 times
Half of my favorite haunts as a youngster were up in Lehigh Valley. (My "haunts" usually included canoeing or hiking) It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever been in.

I grew up in Springfield... SW suburbs of Philly.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM

That's why i'm on the hunt for some trails to jog/walk There are some nice ones all over the place here. Guess I'll need to drive a bit more but that's life.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
Not on Johns Island but if you park at the Windemere shopping center immediately into West Ashley you are right beside a trail (former railiroad track) that runs the length of West Ashley. And they are not trails but the more Northern part of th Island has two great areas for Jogging- Riverland Terrace and the COuntry club area. Again you'll have to park some where to commence your jog (there is a park in Riverland Terrace) but once there you'll have sidewalks on th emain roads and a decent amount of jogging/walking friendly neighborhoods.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:52 PM

3,838 posts, read 3,064,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Not on Johns Island but if you park at the Windemere shopping center immediately into West Ashley you are right beside a trail (former railiroad track) that runs the length of West Ashley.
referring to the West Ashley Greenway:

west ashley greenway - map

Old 01-08-2015, 01:14 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,147 times
Typically when I'm on James Island, I run in the neighborhoods. James Island County Park has some nice places to run as well. Lots of 5K races are held there, and there's a dog park. You are also close to the West Ashley Greenway.

The Mullet Hall Equestrian Trails on Johns Island are also open to the public on weekends, although I wouldn't go out there alone. I've done a few races out there as well, but those are actual trails, whereas the Greenway is more of a running/walking/bike path and most of it is paved (it has some trail/unpaved portions but those areas are closer to John's Island).

Old 01-08-2015, 05:48 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,917 times
This would be on the west side of the island also, but there is a path that starts near the Walmart and wraps around down into the subdivisions before Riverland Dr. Not the most scenic, but does take you through some trees and around a pond.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area