Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 02:02 PM

74 posts, read 88,452 times

Advertisements

What's the best way to deal/control the mosquitoes, gnats, humidity and palmetto bugs?
1st. Should I plan to purchase a home dehumidifier?
Is the Charleston area trying to bring in "Bats" to control the mosquitoes/gnats? Also wondering do Geckos eat palmetto bugs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:06 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,970,330 times
You do not need a dehumidifier in your home. Your A/C system is a giant dehumidifier.

We have some Geckos, but you'll likely not see many of them. What you WILL see are thousands of Green Anoles and maybe some Brown Anoles.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,950,301 times
I like those little lizards that scamper... They dont't BUG you!

It's the mutant palmetto bugs that are the worst!

I wish geckos ate palmettos!

Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 PM

74 posts, read 88,452 times
Thanks

Old 03-13-2015, 10:31 PM

482 posts, read 847,120 times
gecko's love to eat cockroaches

Boric acid works great, although if you have pet's I would use other methods.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:35 AM

120 posts, read 153,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingping View Post
gecko's love to eat cockroaches

Boric acid works great, although if you have pet's I would use other methods.

What is the technique with boric acid?

Is it something that you sprinkle around as a perimeter deterrent?

Old 03-14-2015, 10:06 AM

75 posts, read 90,242 times
It seems simple but it's effective.

If you don't want bugs in your house, keep them out of your yard. You can get a variety of lawn treatments for insects at your local hardware store. Follow the instructions and keep the yard treated. If they can't survive in the yard, they can't get to the house.

A couple of years ago, my mom had ants in the kitchen and asked me what to do. I said go look on the side of the house (kitchen had an outside wall), sure enough there was a mound right next to the house. She had her lawn guy treat the yard and never saw another ant.

I personally see more roaches on my back porch than inside so I put stuff down when it starts to warm up every year to kill them and I don't have to worry about inside at all.

You can get products of varying toxicity depending on your needs (I have a dog and my neighbors have kids so I try not to go for the kill everything under the sun stuff).

Mosquitoes are a different story. You can't really get rid of them. I find that the Cotronella (and similar) torches and candles work well for keeping them away if you're doing something in a relatively small space but it can get pricey for larger areas.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:19 PM

482 posts, read 847,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO10 View Post
What is the technique with boric acid?

Is it something that you sprinkle around as a perimeter deterrent?

Yes - The roach will eventually try to lick it off it's legs and die.
I always shot it behind drywall through small openings around electric sockets. My dog's eat and lick everything so I never used it anywhere else.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:40 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,452,041 times
I've said this quite a bit on this forum, but if you have pine straw around your home, GET RID OF IT!
Palmetto bugs breed in pine straw. (I know, YUK!) When we bought our house here in 2011, we did that and have not seen a single palmetto bug in or around our house since then. Believe me, IT WORKS!

Old 03-15-2015, 05:59 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,950,301 times
TealDreamer,
What is best as a natural mulch that keeps weeds AND palmettos at bay?
(Pine straw drives me crazy anyway, because when you pull up weeds, half the straw comes up along with them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area