Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:15 AM

168 posts, read 308,002 times

Advertisements

So, my wife and i are looking at transplanting from Indy to Charleston. I'm a forklift tech and she's a national account manager for fire suppression systems. We'll both be changing jobs and we have a 12 year old son that's very into freestyle and greco wrestling. PLEASE tell me the good/bad on Charleston! In Indy the bad areas are very specific. We'll be looking for a house with a big garage(3 car +) and at least an acre of land. We also need a good school district for our son.
Thanks in advance and bless yalls hearts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,599,478 times
There are lots of threads on this but simplified...

The good: Friendly people-mild winters-great restaurants-beaches!-long growing season-good economy...

The bad: Summer is hot/humid-some schools are "Lacking"-biting insects can be bad-flood zones

Your search will narrow considerably looking for 3+ car garage and 1+acre but depending on your budget, you can find that in most of the areas around Charleston.
As a Realtor, I'm not allowed to voice opinion about specific schools but you can check greatschools.org and Schooldigger.com for ratings on schools. Most folks feel that the better schools around Charleston are generally found in Mt Pleasant, James Island, and the Dorchester 2 school district.

Your budget will largely dictate which areas are best for you. Are you specifically looking to be near the beaches or downtown Charleston? Do you know where you'll be working yet?

Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 AM

We haven't started job hunting yet. We'll be making trips down in July, October and January to take in the areas and build plans before we sell our home and give up good jobs. We want to be within 30 minutes of the beach and prefer a fixer upper. I'd like to use my VA loan to avoid PMI again, so that puts a limit on housing prices if it has a mobile home. We aren't keeping up with the Jones' so a 250k house isn't on our plate. A 2 car attached garage with room for me to add or build desperate would be ideal. We do love the night life and our main thing is to not hide 5 months a year from the Indiana winters.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:17 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
30 minutes to the beach is a stretch. But everything else is doable. Why Charleston?

Old 04-05-2015, 12:36 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
^^ ^^ Probably the same reason(s) everyone else in the world wants to move here...LOL

Old 04-05-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
^^ ^^ Probably the same reason(s) everyone else in the world wants to move here...LOL
Well, I'm curious. He did say weather, which I can understand having lived through many winters in Montana. But, I'm just thinking, if I wanted better weather and a place where I could buy a house with a 3 car garage on 1+ acres for significantly less than $250k, Charleston would be low on that list of places. Pretty much anywhere else in SC, you could find that more easily than you could here.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:34 PM

We decided that Florida was too hot and expensive with a really tough job market, and Virginia was too far north. From that, I searched the larger cities for population, crime rate, school quality and unemployment rates. Charleston won, unless someone can enlighten me on some buried treasure of a city that i didn't find on Google maps.

One of our main reasons for moving is that we're tired of hiding from winter 5-6 months out of the year.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccornewell View Post
We decided that Florida was too hot and expensive with a really tough job market, and Virginia was too far north. From that, I searched the larger cities for population, crime rate, school quality and unemployment rates. Charleston won, unless someone can enlighten me on some buried treasure of a city that i didn't find on Google maps.

One of our main reasons for moving is that we're tired of hiding from winter 5-6 months out of the year.
I am, by no means, suggesting Charleston is not a viable choice. I'm just saying housing prices are higher here than almost anywhere else in SC and $250k doesn't get you a whole lot.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM

See, these are the things we need to find out before we start job hunting and moving. Please feel free to throw your .02 in!

Old 04-05-2015, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 7,363 times
I disagree i think you can find a very decent house for 200K 30 mins from the beach. I think West Ashley and Downtown Charleston has the best Full Contact fighting trainers so I would try to be close to that area for your sons benefit, but then again to find a decent house for 200 you will not be in downtown area. The acre of land will probably be tough though. Summerville has plenty of houses for 150-200 k range that are nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area