Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:52 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Then why do all the pools shut down in Sept-April?
I think it has something to do with this taking away most of their clients and lifeguards:
CCSD Calendars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 06:38 PM

21 posts, read 45,402 times
I was also wondering the same. I am looking to move to Summerville or Mt Pleasant (most likely Mt Pleasant) next year and would really love to have a pool (or at least the right to) put a pool in my yard if i choose. I plan on joining my HOA amenities pool included but would also love to have one in my yard also. Does anybody which subdivisions allow private pools. Right now I am lloking at Park west,dunes West , and charleston national?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie1207 View Post
I was also wondering the same. I am looking to move to Summerville or Mt Pleasant (most likely Mt Pleasant) next year and would really love to have a pool (or at least the right to) put a pool in my yard if i choose. I plan on joining my HOA amenities pool included but would also love to have one in my yard also. Does anybody which subdivisions allow private pools. Right now I am lloking at Park west,dunes West , and charleston national?
I know Carolina Park does. I've definately seen them in Park West and Dunes West as well. Not sure about Charleston National.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
In all the subdivisions I've lived in, the community pools close in September. Many of them have tried to keep going until October bu the reality is that people just stop going as often. Part of it is that many of the kids' activities start up when school starts so the families are running around doing the activities on the week end. The other thing, it gets cool at night so the water cools off quite a bit.

I've never lived in a subdivision with a lifeguard and kids are alway available to work week ends so I don't think that is a huge determining factor.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:12 PM

33 posts, read 39,306 times
We live in Ashborough in Summerville, and the community pool stays open until at least mid October. Our HOA allows ONLY inground private pools. I've heard that many other HOA's have the same restrictions, and figure that is part of the reason so few people have a pool in their yard...if they allowed the MUCH cheaper above ground pools, I'm sure more families would have one....

Old 05-20-2015, 06:22 PM

22 posts, read 39,657 times
I wish the pools stayed open longer but I think they close when the kids are in school. There aren't a lot of private pools I think because the community pools are so inexpensive and some are in the HOA fees whether you use them or not. A lot of people here are transplants and want to go on vacation to visit family during the summer. Having a private pool is a hassel for them, a lot of work and a lot of expense. As a matter of fact, it's harder to sell a house here with a pool. I lived in Florida for ten years and it's hard to sell a house there without a pool.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:38 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
For whatever reason, pools aren't a thing here. I don't get it because it makes no sense.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 26,697 times
There are quite a few pools in my neighborhood (Dunes West), we put one in when we moved in. Part of the reason may be the size of the lot, if you've got a smaller lot and still want some green space you may not have room for much of a pool. Also, some pools aren't community pools, I mean that you have to join the club to have access to the pools.

Last edited by cshipman; 08-27-2015 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Forgot to include something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area