Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:17 PM

12 posts, read 13,296 times

Advertisements

Hello all and Happy Memorial Day! I'll be down in Charleston on Wednesday and Thursday to seal the deal on an apartment or condo/townhome rental. Have done my research online really only in the West Ashley/Avondale area and will sign once I see one that fits in person...just need a change from Charlotte. Was curious if you could give me some parameters as to the overall safety around there...if there are some sketchy areas in that location that I should try to avoid. I just want to be safe with my vehicle parked outside and don't want to worry about my place when I'm gone because I travel for work a lot. As always, thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 04:59 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
We live relatively nearby and don't bother locking cars (nothing is inside them anyway), and I've forgotten to close one of the garage doors a few times and nothing has disappeared.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:02 AM

657 posts, read 738,389 times
It's very safe within around the sycamore to Apollo area. I wouldn't say it is unsafe outside of that, and I used to run around there, but the demographics do change. In the 3/4 years I lived at Concord, and even since then, there were never really any break in problems that I heard of.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM

259 posts, read 453,989 times
Try to remember to lock up all the time. Petty crimes of
opportunity happen everywhere.

Broadly speaking though its a safe area. Further up Magnolia
and Sycamore is gentrifying rapidly and change in Maryville
is real and only accelerating ,Oak Forest is even further along $ wise.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:38 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Avondale itself has had a rash of people 'breaking in' to unlocked cars. I think they basically came through once, realized it was fertile ground & returned for a second/third time. No house break ins or people actually knocking out windows to break into cars.

One good thing about the area is that between people heading to/from works & schools, the churches/preschools/day school, and the bars open until 2am you have people out & about at all times except that 2-7 am window. I've jogged the area at night before and never felt unsafe.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 13,296 times
Thank you all for the responses...have any of you heard either good or bad about the Mulberry Apartments/Townhomes??? There really isn't much to choose from in the area unless I get outside of 526. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,048,960 times
Avondale itself is pretty safe, but do lock your car.

I live outside 526 in West Ashley. We have many nice apartment complexes and townhomes out here, and it is also a very safe area. But, we still lock our cars.

Honestly most of the crime out here involves things like breaking into unlocked cars, occasional DUIs, domestics, and in my neighborhood, running into mailboxes... LOL.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:25 AM

54 posts, read 63,551 times
we also live in West Ashley outside of 526 and don't see much crime. I honestly hear of more crime inside of 526 than I do on this side

Old 05-28-2015, 06:33 PM

259 posts, read 453,989 times
As an aside, what's the story on Magnolia House? Its sat there empty and rundown for so long....anyone know its previous incarnation? Wasn't it for sale? Would be great
if it could be put to a civic use, to compliment the adjacent neighborhood veggie garden.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Do you mean the place by Fenwick Dr? It looks like someone lives there now. It's both an awesome and terrible location at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area