Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 AM

73 posts, read 264,201 times

Advertisements

Like many of you, we are waiting for our house to sell. My husband is already working in Mount Pleasant while I hold down the fort with a 4-year old and 5 month old. (fun times)

There is a real possibility that we would end up relocating again within a couple of years. We've been looking at homes in Mt. Pleasant (300 K range) but now I'm wondering if we should look at a townhome....downsize a bit, and then we may have the option of renting out our property down the road or coming back for retirement.

Any opinions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
I currently live in Mt Pleasant in a 2,000 sq foot townhome. There are a few for sale in my neighborhood below your price range and they are really nice. One has been on the market for a long time so the owner is desperate to sell you could get a good deal.
The great part of town home living is low maintenance. No yard work!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 AM

My biggest hurdle is my black lab and two girls who will want to play with other kids, so I will need some type of fenced in area. Anything like that around?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:57 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
Most townhomes do not have fenced yards. People in my neighbohood do invisible fences. there are plenty of children in this area so it's not an issue.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:13 AM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
Beachme is correct. Invisible fencing seems to be what I see most for the dogs.
Make sure you check the floorplan on the townhome. There are a lot of refurbished apartment complexes here that will have people living above or below you.
And you're going to need a big one. Two kids & a black lab? It's topugh to find someplace to get away from each other in a townhome.

Also, no garage or basement to put Fido when you need some space.

There is some general confusion among Realtors here regarding condo's & townhomes.
It's a legal description that is not enforced, so 'buyer beware'.

Also, know the regime & HOA fees. They may be prohibitive.
Other than that, there are some great buys out there in that price range.
In fact, I find that the condo/townhome market is saturated right now.
jim

Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Great points and input. We'll probably keep our search to single family homes. I tend to like the older neighborhoods. It reminds me of neighborhoods here in Columbus and on the East Coast. I noticed Snee Farms has some homes in our price range. I liked what I saw there when we drove through.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:22 AM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
Sounds like a sound decision. Snee Farms seems like a great fit for you. That particular neighborhood has certain aspects that carry over to similar developments in West Ashley & Summerville. We'll get a list going.
jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area