Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 05:59 AM

3,839 posts, read 3,065,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

As far as the state is concerned, this dog won't hunt. Unfortunately, politicians keep using it as a political football to convince their constituents to vote for them.

^^^
This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Not surprised. McMaster is under a microscope now. North Carolina just got federal funding for "future interstates", what's SC doing to get 8 miles of already existing interstate finished? Trump promised so lawmakers need to push.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:13 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
I saw the whole live video of the infrastructure board meeting for I-526 in Columbia. It was like two lawyers arguing and verbally fighting with each other, between Charleston County Council Chairman and the State Infrastructure Chairman. It comes down to funding, money. It's all about this. Charleston County just did not have the amount of money the Infrastructure Board wants them to put in. It is simply this, they argued about Charleston County not putting enough money toward the project, and Charleston wants the Infrastructure Bank to cover the rest of what they don't put toward the project. If Charleston could put more money toward the project it would pass, simple as this. They don't want to or they just don't have the money. This is what it was all about. If Charleston is able to prove they will put more money to the project it would pass and be completed. The Infrastructure Board said several times they are not for or against the project, but that they are a Bank, and funding is what this project is all about.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:28 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times
I just dont see why they dont add tolls. Who wants to pay it pays it and who doesnt just drive around

Old 06-27-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I just dont see why they dont add tolls. Who wants to pay it pays it and who doesnt just drive around
I agree with you. Charleston County is simply going to have to put more money toward the project and it will be completed. If they don't or can't we will not have the completion of I-526.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:19 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
You really love tolling...tolling does stop conservationists, nimbys, etc. There's people that want the project dead completely. It can still happen and without tolls. Like I said, North Carolina is making it happen, so pressure needs to be put on leaders to get to DC and to stop cowaring to "anti-growth" people. The growth is going to happen regardless and that's simply economics.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You really love tolling...tolling does stop conservationists, nimbys, etc. There's people that want the project dead completely. It can still happen and without tolls. Like I said, North Carolina is making it happen, so pressure needs to be put on leaders to get to DC and to stop cowaring to "anti-growth" people. The growth is going to happen regardless and that's simply economics.

It has nothing to do with who wants it or not. The infrastructure is a bank. They negotiate to put in less to the project and Charleston County does the same. It is all about funding. If you saw the meeting yesterday, it clearly showed it is all about money/funding.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Not surprised. McMaster is under a microscope now. North Carolina just got federal funding for "future interstates", what's SC doing to get 8 miles of already existing interstate finished? Trump promised so lawmakers need to push.
Yea, McMaster is bragging that he's "Trump's guy" and Trump is apparently handing out interstate money, so how about getting us something out of that chummy relationship?

Old 06-28-2018, 07:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Default With tolls

Quote:
You really love tolling...tolling does stop conservationists, nimbys, etc. There's people that want the project dead completely. It can still happen and without tolls. Like I said, North Carolina is making it happen ...
NC is the weirdest with its 3-4 mile toll roads. But, you are right in the notion of tolls. The new developing spots in the Triangle area of NC, or even the very large town of Cary, do have highways within, with tolls. Gives the taxpayer a choice and allows convenience at a price.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
NC is the weirdest with its 3-4 mile toll roads. But, you are right in the notion of tolls. The new developing spots in the Triangle area of NC, or even the very large town of Cary, do have highways within, with tolls. Gives the taxpayer a choice and allows convenience at a price.
2/3 of Raleigh's outer loop/beltway will be completely tolled. If they didn't do that, it would have been another 50+ years (OK maybe not that long, but at least another 20 or 30 for sure) before construction started.

Also the new Monroe Bypass in NC is opening at the end of this year and will also be completely tolled and 20 miles long.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area