Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 05:12 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I looked at all posts you've made going back to November and there was nothing of any substance regarding 526.
Construction of a highway crossover, eliminating the need for traffic lights, at Main Road — like those at Gardens Corner in Beaufort County and at Johnny Dodds Boulevard in Mount Pleasant — could be built quickly with state and federal funds. In addition, the Main Road evacuation route off Johns Island should be raised, widened and properly drained in the process.

To clear traffic snarls on Maybank Highway near the Stono River bridge to Johns Island by building a “pitchfork-design” intersection letting drivers yield east and west onto River Road or continue straight at the traffic lights. Land and money are already available for this project.

Spend the balance of highway money in the State Infrastructure Bank along with additional federal funds for relief along the traffic-choked Interstate 26 corridor between Summerville and Charleston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
Construction of a highway crossover, eliminating the need for traffic lights, at Main Road — like those at Gardens Corner in Beaufort County and at Johnny Dodds Boulevard in Mount Pleasant — could be built quickly with state and federal funds. In addition, the Main Road evacuation route off Johns Island should be raised, widened and properly drained in the process.

To clear traffic snarls on Maybank Highway near the Stono River bridge to Johns Island by building a “pitchfork-design” intersection letting drivers yield east and west onto River Road or continue straight at the traffic lights. Land and money are already available for this project.

Spend the balance of highway money in the State Infrastructure Bank along with additional federal funds for relief along the traffic-choked Interstate 26 corridor between Summerville and Charleston.
When is this happening Mr. Advisor. You are the only one is this thread against 526 because it would not benefit you in any way. So, when are these projects you mentioned happening??

Old 05-31-2016, 08:05 PM

204 posts, read 184,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
When is this happening Mr. Advisor. You are the only one is this thread against 526 because it would not benefit you in any way. So, when are these projects you mentioned happening??
He's not the only one who was against it

The pitchfork on Maybank has been paid for out of the last sales tax hike. County Council has constantly put off building it, which has the side effect of making traffic worse and building up support for 526. Coincidence?

As far as the overpass, if County Council doesn't completely blow it, they should be able to negotiate with the SIB to give them the money for it. Vince Graham has already said that the SIB doesn't want Charleston to walk away empty handed.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:25 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,669,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Silver-Fox AKA Coastalbum.....

Another poster asked me how I would fix the problem, I gave suggestions.

I couldn't care less if "everyone" is pro ext-526, this post keeps getting elongated because people are upset, delusional, and with a 4-1 SC transportation board vote against it. Slim/No chance we will see this again in our life-time. (That is a FACT).

Start packing for the Tidewater. So long....

Last edited by Chs2014; 05-31-2016 at 09:20 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 09:37 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemcreek View Post
Present reality is that the people who run this state do not care about Charleston traffic unless it begins to negatively affect the port or other high profile industries. The message is that our state has no incentive to build a bridge through the many wonderful tomato farms of Johns Island. Had Volvo or Mercedes wanted to build a plant on Johns Island, the pols in Columbia would have bent over backwards to get 526 done.

People should realize that our quality of life here in Charleston is of no concern to the people who run the State House. To put it bluntly, we need better representation in our assembly.
U are right. The only cities they care for is columbia, greenville. Myrtle beach starting to pick up some of that now. They dont xare what happens outside of charleston and the port. You can be stuck in traffic for days and its no concern to them

Old 06-01-2016, 06:23 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
U are right. The only cities they care for is columbia, greenville. Myrtle beach starting to pick up some of that now. They dont xare what happens outside of charleston and the port. You can be stuck in traffic for days and its no concern to them
You said it.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:20 PM

The sweet, sweet sound of success for Charleston!

How opponents beat Goliath and stopped I-526’s extension - Post and Courier

Old 06-03-2016, 01:10 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas4Life View Post
A little early to be celebrating. This is a battle they'll be fighting forever. They just dodged a bullet for the immediate future.

I like how Dana Beach seems to know what will alleviate traffic and what won't contrary to the DOT. Whose word should we take..the environmentalist or the people that only deal with traffic for a living?

Old 06-03-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
A little early to be celebrating. This is a battle they'll be fighting forever. They just dodged a bullet for the immediate future.

I like how Dana Beach seems to know what will alleviate traffic and what won't contrary to the DOT. Whose word should we take..the environmentalist or the people that only deal with traffic for a living?
Ha ha. That's why the DOT never had the extension on its priority list.

The extension is never coming back. The roads bill Haley will sign today will require the Infrastructure Bank to fund projects according to the DOT's priorities. A billion-dollar interstate extension that causes more problems than it solves will never make that list.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:13 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
It's interesting to me that people here who I know identify as fiscal conservatives would so vehemently support an unfunded $1B road project that ends up saving the average West Ashley and James Island resident about 40 seconds off their commute time. Whereas you have a project like the I-26/526 interchange that is proposed to cost about $200M and will reduce delays for all commuters on 526 by 50+%.

http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/I-5...mprovement.pdf
http://www.scdot.org/inside/pdfs/I-5...mendations.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area