Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
What's funny is that Austin is the perfect example of turning down highways and roads, while development happens anyway. I grew up less than an hour away and still have family nearby. It's a complete traffic mess.
Austin, Atlanta, DC, etc its all proof no-highway does not equal no-development. Whether 526 or something else, Chas needs to get into the 21st century. Something needs to be done before all these mega-developements block all available land, then itll definitely be Atlanta 2.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 08:18 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Oh I agree with you on that; because of people like you who complain about every thing new.
Managed growth is good growth. Charleston isn't practicing that. At all.

I'd fully endorse more roads and bridges in the area. The plan for 526 isn't a good one. It's that simple.

As long as the powers that be continue to foist this crappy plan on the unsuspecting, a good plan will never be considered.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Managed growth is good growth. Charleston isn't practicing that. At all.
That's pretty hard when select residents fight everything to the death. Don't act like this is all on the powers that be. The nimbysim is strong and obvious.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 10,573 times
Cant believe this road is still being discussed. It ends at Calhoun Street, you'll just end up with a backup to JI every day because all of that capacity doesn't mean anything when it just ends anyways.

Go big or go home, Charleston. Build a tunnel like they did in Mobile for I-10 and make 526 a full loop like it should have been all along.

I'd rather spend 2 billion to make the road serve a purpose other than to send cars hurtling at 70 mph into our medical district and provide an evacuation route for the people who refuse to heed warnings for a week and all get the jitters at once and flee as the storm is bearing down.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
That's pretty hard when select residents fight everything to the death. Don't act like this is all on the powers that be. The nimbysim is strong and obvious.
You say NIMBY as if it isn't a reality in every damn place in America. I agree that it just isn't the powers that be. The continued lie of 526 is completely on the powers that be.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,434,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chs2014 View Post
"100 million dollar per mile extension project with nice marsh views" is completely irresponsible.

We need to protect our Barrier Islands, the environment, and STOP wasteful spending. You and I both know this extension will NEVER happen. The County Council is a joke. No concrete plans how to come up with the shortfall $150-200 million dollars. The price tag is over 1 Billion now, that $720 million figure that everyone keeps touting was in 2015.

The Transportation Bank will laugh at this in March, and all the money that was earmarked, will go to other projects that are more important to the state (this is 15th on the list of importance). You just wait and see.

I am planning to move like M1a1 did, then. I am tired of the city, and all the people that don't want any development. I guess it's like what you are used to. The fight against the Cruise Terminal, 526, it's all the same. I give up and will move to another city that does not fight development, that's already developed and has a decent infrastructure and roadways supporting it, like Tidewater , Va / Outer Banks, NC for example. Take a look at their roads and interstates. There was no fighting over developing the interstates, they just did it!!

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/tr...19a55ec0a.html

This is what intelligent people do. This is why the state roads change from potholes to smooth when you go into North Carolina.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You say NIMBY as if it isn't a reality in every damn place in America. I agree that it just isn't the powers that be. The continued lie of 526 is completely on the powers that be.
Dont know of too many places in the country that have fought to block a highway for 24 years. Or most everything else thats proposed.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I am planning to move like M1a1 did, then. I am tired of the city, and all the people that don't want any development. I guess it's like what you are used to. The fight against the Cruise Terminal, 526, it's all the same. I give up and will move to another city that does not fight development, that's already developed and has a decent infrastructure and roadways supporting it, like Tidewater , Va / Outer Banks, NC for example. Take a look at their roads and interstates.
Every state has groups of people that fight something. No state is perfect. Only difference is some of these other states with major cities have alot more money to put into they cities and towns. The thing insee if sc does focus on almost every town in the state. Orangeburg getting a new highway entrance. Santee also. Building new bridges in dillion. Mrytle beach has stuff going on everywhere. Now if you go to another state alot of times these small cities are forgetting and they focus on the bigger cities only.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:11 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Dont know of too many places in the country that have fought to block a highway for 24 years. Or most everything else thats proposed.
Last I checked they don't have enough money or a hard price on the cost. Writing open ended checks is a recipe for disaster.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Last I checked they don't have enough money or a hard price on the cost. Writing open ended checks is a recipe for disaster.
Yeah and you can blame it on 20+ years worth of delays, lawsuits, and environment studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area