Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:49 PM

780 posts, read 1,542,528 times

Advertisements

Any info on homes/apartments in the CHS/Summerville area that charge rental for seniors based on income would be appreciated. Not looking for assisted living as the person I am helping is in good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 01:16 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
This state doesn't have anything like that. I researched it quite a bit a few years ago for my mother. She lives in a place like that up north.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 PM

734 posts, read 920,400 times
I thought every state has it. Might have to check with the state's housing authority.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:09 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
The Canterbury House downtown on Market Street; an Episcopal home, but you don't have to be an Episcopalian.
And I think there are a couple on Magwood Drive in the West Ashley area.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:59 AM

I found a place in Charleston, but they are not as appealing as what I have seen in other states. I will look at the ones on Magwood. Thanks.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:19 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,593,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
I found a place in Charleston, but they are not as appealing as what I have seen in other states. I will look at the ones on Magwood. Thanks.
What I have not been able to find here, which I believe does not exist in this state, is the elderly/disabled housing where rent, which includes electricity, is 30% of the person's income and takes into account how much the person spends on medications each year. That is the type of place my mother and mother-in-law currently live in. Their rent will always be 30% of their income. Their rent will fluctuate a bit each year depending on how much they spend on medications and if there are any social security raises, but it will still only be 30% of their income.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:18 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
There is a new building facing Concord off Bay Street on the peninsula (near Harris teeter) with a sign saying it will be "senior housing" ... saw it yesterday & that's all I know.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIcoopKJG View Post
What I have not been able to find here, which I believe does not exist in this state, is the elderly/disabled housing where rent, which includes electricity, is 30% of the person's income and takes into account how much the person spends on medications each year. That is the type of place my mother and mother-in-law currently live in. Their rent will always be 30% of their income. Their rent will fluctuate a bit each year depending on how much they spend on medications and if there are any social security raises, but it will still only be 30% of their income.

That is exactly what I am looking for here. We found a nice place for less than $150/month in the Atlanta area for my MIL. She has family there, so safety is not an issue. She prefers to live here as she has spent a great deal of time in the area and really enjoys it.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:05 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
The OP is talking about Elderly Housing which many local governments up north had. Basically it was needs based, public housing for the elderly. My wife's family has had great support from SC Elderly Services for their mother (not housing). I suggest you might start there.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The OP is talking about Elderly Housing which many local governments up north had. Basically it was needs based, public housing for the elderly. My wife's family has had great support from SC Elderly Services for their mother (not housing). I suggest you might start there.
Looks to me like the OP is looking for senior housing, and not what you want to label as "public housing" (I get where you're going there, but we're not on the same page).

And yes, there is that type of senior housing up north, and it is needed everywhere.
Actually and gratefully, my own mother benefitted from it.

Last edited by MinkeyM; 10-19-2015 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area