Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:45 PM

5 posts, read 3,922 times

Advertisements

Hello

I recently found out I'm being relocated to Charleston AFB. I have two questions:

1) are there specific Protestant Christian churches I should be looking at? I want a church popular with young people (I'm a single male in my mid 20s)

2). I want to live within 30 minutes of the AFB. I have a budget of 200k (or 1200/month for rent). Like I said earlier I'm single with no kids. Any good areas that meet those requirements? My favorite house I've seen so far is in Colony North off Ashley Phosphate. What are people's thoughts on that and any other areas I should be looking within my time and $ limit? Almost forgot-I need a garage. Preferably 2 car (don't want to have to put my jeep top on every night!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:47 AM

204 posts, read 185,343 times
I don't personally go there, but Seacoast Church seems to be a very popular choice among young people. I have friends who go on hiking trips, kayaking trips, play in bands, etc., all organized through the church. It has several campuses. One is in North Charleston relatively close to the AFB.

Colony North is an established, safe neighborhood. There are also neighborhoods off nearby Otranto Rd. that would fall within your price range. The only thing about Colony North which you may not know about is the massive amount of development that will happen nearby in Ingleside Plantation. I know they extended Northside Dr. to link it to the development, but my feeling is that construction vehicles will probably use one of the other entrances. You might want to find out though if the house is close to Northside Dr.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:43 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,248,449 times
Rent first. You will be taking a massive risk buying a house in that area without first spending time here.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:23 PM

5,290 posts, read 6,230,815 times
200k will get you into most of the West Ashley condo complexes. I think the condos at Ashley Crossing (immediately off 526) are or at Concord (Avondale area would be worth a look.) Ashley Crossing being nicer & closer to the base and Concord better located but requiring more driving on surface roads. This area is pretty young person friendly, especially the close in you get.

Keep in mind that traffic between Charleston and Summerville is brutal so anything past the base in that direction is going to require some traffic/shift time scrutiny. You could also look in Hannahan. Mt Pleasant, downtown and Daniel Island will be too pricy unless you are willing to go the roommate route. Park circle could also be nice but it is increasing price-wise.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Rent first. You will be taking a massive risk buying a house in that area without first spending time here.
What makes you say that? Is there something about that specific area?

Old 06-14-2016, 12:25 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,248,449 times
Traffic and crime. Plus it's just not a great idea to move to a brand new area and buy right away. You have no idea what you're getting into and you won't until you're here for a few months. Find a 3 month lease and take your time house hunting.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:51 PM

26 posts, read 18,601 times
I agree with renting first. I did that for a year and am happily ensconced in a neighborhood and house I really like. I have friends who bought immediately and now regret the decisions. Traffic (both inside the neighborhood and as part of a commute), new development around them, crime, and other factors are now much more obvious. Had they taken their time and gotten a chance to know the area, it would have been a better experience.

PS-- I should add that I originally thought I would buy in one specific neighborhood. I was all set to do that but decided I needed more time to experience the area. Boy am I glad I did! The neighborhood is nice but it definitely wasn't worth what I would have had to pay to live there and now it is expanding and the traffic and noise is just brutal.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:39 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,613,487 times
Renting first is a good suggestion if you don't mind moving twice. Moving is considerably easier if you're young and single so it probably works for you. I also think the idea of looking for a shorter term rental is a good idea. A flexible lease would be ideal.

If you're working at the base and living in West Ashley, I think you'll be driving opposite the main traffic at rush hrs. It shouldn't be too bad though I admit I don't make that drive myself.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 PM

606 posts, read 732,221 times
Before you decide to buy, how long are you sure you'll be stationed at Charleston AFB. Unless you are guaranteed at least 4 years it might not be wise to purchase. While the market is going up here it could change and you'd be stuck with a home if you get transferred again.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 PM

I'll be there for at least 2-3 years...I figured I'd rent it out after I left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area