Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:03 PM

14 posts, read 16,709 times

Advertisements

I noticed that here no one actually ENTERS the intersection when turning left. They just wait at the threshold line... light turns yellow and red, and they still wait. As a result, only one car makes a left turn instead of 2-3. What's up with this? Never seen this up north.

Another one is people lining up essay ahead of time for a turn and not using all available lanes. Case to point, 17 in Mt. Pleasant when coming off Ravenel. I more people went into the right lane as they get off, there would be less backups on the bridge.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 04:09 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
According to the "Charlestonians Running Red Lights" thread this doesn't seem to be the case at all. Perhaps more northerners introducing aggressive driving habits?

I've tried both getting home from work in the most aggressive way possible, and just staying in my lane, stopping at yellow lights, doing the speed limits, and I pretty much get home at the same time. No sense in ticking somebody else off or risk getting hit in an intersection to save 2 minutes.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 AM

734 posts, read 920,586 times
I do herzzreh! You just have to make sure that it is safe when you do it. Maybe people down here just don't want to take that chance. We were taught that if you are under the light you still can make the left hand turn when it turns red because you are already in the intersection.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:37 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herzzreh View Post
I noticed that here no one actually ENTERS the intersection when turning left. They just wait at the threshold line... light turns yellow and red, and they still wait. As a result, only one car makes a left turn instead of 2-3. What's up with this? Never seen this up north.
Why?
We call those drivers "Waiting for an invitation drivers".

Old 09-06-2016, 06:32 AM

11 posts, read 9,626 times
Quote:

Another one is people lining up essay ahead of time for a turn and not using all available lanes. Case to point, 17 in Mt. Pleasant when coming off Ravenel. I more people went into the right lane as they get off, there would be less backups on the bridge.

Why?
Because people run red lights. Most of the time you have no clue whether the incoming traffic is going to stop or not. If they run the light, you are delayed in the middle of the intersection until they go through and now blocking traffic for the people with the green light. Add 3 more cars and you will find that the people with the green light are still waiting.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:11 PM

10 posts, read 15,110 times
Agree with the OP on those being big pet peeves. Another notorious place where people line up in the far left lane where two lanes turn left is 17 onto 41 in MTP. I've noticed the running the red light seems especially bad whenever I venture up around Ashley Phosphate/I-26 interchange.

Two more to add to my list of pet peeves:
1. Folks yielding when they have the right of way in a rotary
2. Not turning on headlights at dusk. Or worse - just turning on the parking lights. Do people think they're saving energy?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:26 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgern815 View Post
Agree with the OP on those being big pet peeves. Another notorious place where people line up in the far left lane where two lanes turn left is 17 onto 41 in MTP. I've noticed the running the red light seems especially bad whenever I venture up around Ashley Phosphate/I-26 interchange.

Two more to add to my list of pet peeves:
1. Folks yielding when they have the right of way in a rotary
2. Not turning on headlights at dusk. Or worse - just turning on the parking lights. Do people think they're saving energy?
I blame the headlight thing on the fact that newer cars light up their dashboard regardless if lights are on or off. Especially when it rains, people think because they can still see outside they don't need lights.
Back in the day the dashboard got harder to see at night or in heavy rain, so that was a good reminder to turn on your lights.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:50 AM

480 posts, read 504,206 times
Quote:
What's up with this? Never seen this up north.
If you just explain to folks how things are done up north, they are usually very amenable

Old 09-07-2016, 06:52 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
If you just explain to folks how things are done up north, they are usually very amenable
Love this! So funny.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:47 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,975 times
hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area