Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:10 PM

21,031 posts, read 27,342,004 times

Advertisements

I have seen lower income customers trading at The Fresh Market, Harris Teeter, Ingle's, and Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 04:32 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,740,678 times
Right, several deleted posts later, I feel like I have to remind you all
you are discussing opinions online.
you're not waging a holy war for survival.
You can actually, imagine that, agree to disagree.
There is also a chance that if you calm down a bit you'll notice the not so subtle difference between fact and opinion, one some of you keep forgetting about.
Yac.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:56 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,234,564 times
That store has already had one government/neighborhood intervention. When it was still a PIG the College of Charleston wanted to put the new arena there and received huge pushback from the neighborhoods then city. So the city did what it could to prop up a store and the The Pig tore down the old store to build the current one. It looks like gentrification simply took another decade and now it will meet the same fate. I actually think an arena with any type of decent parking or access would have been better there in the long term since it could anchor the area and be a compliment to the nearby hotels in terms of events.

The little rarely acknowledged fact is that grocery stores have miniscule profit margins. They are in the low single digits. So we can't assume that a store like Teeter can simply plop down a new location and right off the loss as a community service. They would not go from making 40% to 20 or 30% on each item they would go into the negative. No business will tolerate that.

I'm not sure what it takes to lure one but the one chain that I have heard is successful in this type setting is the smaller Walmart Market set-up which is grocery only.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 AM

3,595 posts, read 4,369,105 times
You mean the Walmart that everyone wants to hates on for running local businesses out of town?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:53 AM

5,291 posts, read 6,234,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
You mean the Walmart that everyone wants to hates on for running local businesses out of town?
No those are the large ones. The little Walmarts are universally loved. ;-)

As much as everyone wants to see local grown veggie co-ops and meat shares as an answer to lower income food issues sometimes it takes the fire power- and buying, marketing, construction powers- of a bigger company to move that needle.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:04 AM

21,031 posts, read 27,342,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm not sure what it takes to lure one but the one chain that I have heard is successful in this type setting is the smaller Walmart Market set-up which is grocery only.
A Walmart Neighborhood Market supermarket would be a good grocery option in the peninsula. Walmart is finding success with the banner and continues to open additional stores. Walmart Neighborhood Market would be an upgrade from Bi-Lo and Food Lion.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 AM

657 posts, read 741,085 times
Quote:
As much as everyone wants to see local grown veggie co-ops and meat shares as an answer to lower income food issues sometimes it takes the fire power- and buying, marketing, construction powers- of a bigger company to move that needle.
Right. Is the Co-Op or local going to take EBT? And the prices are always more unless the city plans on subsidizing the owners. I read the plan from the city and no way those "local" options won't be getting some sort of kick back if they want prices artificially low.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,474,678 times
Quote:
in that I have heard is successful in this type setting is the smaller Walmart Market set-up which is grocery only.

Walmart Market could work. It's a step up from the supercenter, the stores are cleaner and toned down, and the prices are still unbeatable. Only thing is I haven't seen any Walmart Markets in cities yet. They all seem to be in popping up in the suburbs or outskirts, and it seems Walmart likes building gas stations with them.

They're not afraid of competition though. Doesn't matter if youre Teeter, Publix, Bilo, Ingles, whatever, they'll open up shop across the street if they feel like it. They'll even put them near another Walmart.

The Meeting St Bilo is 36,300 sq ft. The average Walmart Market is 38,000. The building wouldn't have to be torn down, but theyd for sure redo the interior.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,118,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
When I and many other customers go to a supermarket, we usually find necessities, fresh foods and quality products at good prices and with service when needed. When a supermarket is positioned as the exact opposite lacking necessities, fresh foods and quality products, has the highest prices and has no service, it loses business. Food Lion #1420 is in that group.

Sorry, but it's absurd to claim that Food Lion has the highest prices, higher than Harris Teeter or Publix? It's just not true, and it doesn't become true, regardless how often do you repeat this absurdity.
Harris Teeter is not for everyone, so is Food Lion.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:19 AM

624 posts, read 694,768 times
Here is some ridiculous hyperbole, courteous of Brian Hicks at the Post and Courier:

Quote:
After all, what better way to speed along the process of gentrification than by literally starving out the locals?
That's over the top. There is a Food Lion 1.1 miles on foot in one direction and a Harris Teeter 1.1 miles on foot in the other direction of the closing Bi-Lo. No one is "starving."

Sometimes a store is more than just a store - Post and Courier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area