Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:25 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,007,578 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what happened with these plans?

My understanding was they were also going to have water taxi service to downtown Charleston from this marina. If the economy put the kabash on the plans, are the plans still in the works for some later date?

In July of 2007, the Daniel Island Company and City of Charleston received state permits to construct a new public marina and waterfront park consisting of 208 dry slips, 320 wet-slips and 20 day slips.

The marina will also have a restaurant, fishing pier, boat ramp, and a wonderful waterfront park.
The marina has an expected completion date of summer of 2012 (source: Daniel Island News) and will be located on the Wando River north of the interstate (I-526).

The new public marina and waterfront park will be a great addition to the Island.

Daniel Island boater enthusiasts currently enjoy the facilities of:
Daniel Island Marina
669 Marina Drive
Daniel Island , SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 AM

Daniel Island's Marina and Waterfront Plans

Here's the article from the DI News.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:00 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,920 times
As I understand it .... plans were put on hold during the real estate recession .... since then a couple of things have happened ...many of the new homes have been built with their own docks on the rivers especially in Smythe Park and the Park area ....The Daniel Island Marina which is 5 minutes away .. has been greatly expanded and upgraded... lessening the pressure to develop another marina ...while its still on the drawing board ... demand has receded from home owners so that if and when that demand increases ...Im sure it will be considered again since all the permits are in place. There are currently a number of boat landings thruout the island that you can use conveniently.

How big is your boat ?

Last edited by cynic1; 03-29-2015 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-29-2015, 07:33 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,423,920 times
As far as the water taxi issue is concerned .... it could be accommodated at the existing fishing pier at the end of River Landing Road ...The assumed operator at the time surveyed the demand for the service and found little demand .. or at least not enuf demand to make the service economically viable.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the info. That's too bad.

Aside from the marina itself, the waterfront park sounded like a nice addition to the community since other than some of the trails that run along the water down at the end of River Landing Dr. (which are really pretty), there really isn't a lot of public water access on Daniel Island as a focal point for gathering, sitting, etc. like Waterfront Park downtown Charleston.

The water taxi to downtown Charleston would have also been a really nice addition. Not that MP and the marina at Patriot's Point is that far to pick the taxi up.

No boat anymore. Had a small Grady White which we sold up North. Too expensive for such a short season. Doubt we'll buy again - we'll rent if we get the boat bug.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:22 AM

397 posts, read 1,071,468 times
funny you just put up this post, I live on River Landing and just had a business meeting with DI Realty where I inquired what they knew from this point about the marina - I would LOVE the marina go in and a water taxi would be awesome. The plan is still in place, but the money isn't quite there yet. Once it is built, and with the huge amount of construction taking place on DI right now I could easily see the demand greatly increase to make a water taxi profitable...fingers crossed it happens soon!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
There is going to come a time when Daniel Island is built out enough that the Daniel Island Company will pull up stakes and leave. They are a real estate developer, not a philanthropic organization. People will then have to deal with like what happens to already built things like the golf courses (get sold and maybe go public), and things promised (the Marina) but not yet built.

It is something one should be aware of vis-a-vis ones end game.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 AM

Therese - where is the money coming from? DI Development Co.? Is it usual to get permits before funding is in place? (from what I read, permits have been in place for many years).

Old 09-09-2016, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,931 times
We are looking into DI heavy right now, will be back next week to determine whether we seal the deal.

I was sorry to hear this marina is not going in. I was told by DI Realtor that they still have the permits, but the cost of the marina has gone up significantly with the new rules around commercial sprinklers as a result of the new fire codes due to the fire of 2007. I would like to hear others opinions on that. Meanwhile, we would support a water taxi like we support UBER now. How long does it take to get from DI Marina to the Wando on the east side by boat?

Thx,
KLM

Old 09-09-2016, 10:00 AM

Interestingly in the latest (or maybe 2 weeks ago) issue of Daniel Island News, they mentioned the marina again, along with a Waterfront Park down by Children's Park.

My husband and I had always said it would be nice if they could build something on the water there - boardwalk type place with benches similar to what Beaufort has, as the river is really beautiful and when you are on DI you don't really get the sense you are surrounded by water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area