Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 04:45 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times

Advertisements

Talk with business folks at CofC or USC in Columbia. Sometimes they can do market research using college students from the area. It should come out cheaper.

The idea of indoor sports may not fare well in Charleston. There are so many good days that being outside is usually not an issue.

Good idea about the restaurants. It's a great way to lose money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 08:08 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPJP View Post
My passion is definitely sports, anything sports. I thought about opening an indoor sports complex, I just need to do a little more research on if it would be a smart move to open one around there.
Too bad Top Golf doesn't franchise. I like that idea though. Chas could use some more casual batting cages I feel. Maybe even another Ninja Warrior course like at Velocity in N Chas.

Old 10-22-2016, 07:46 AM

480 posts, read 504,125 times
Quote:
I am tired of working for someone else
You'll always be working for someone else. Owning your own business doesn't change that.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:25 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,769 times
When you own the business you can fire customers.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:23 AM

90 posts, read 92,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
You'll always be working for someone else. Owning your own business doesn't change that.
Who is going to tell me I have to leave or come in at a certain time? Is someone going to tell me I have to work OT or to go mop floors? Etc etc.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
When you own the business you can fire customers.
I guess my issue is I hate losing customers. It makes me physically sick and keeps me up at night if I have an unhappy customer.

Building a customer base was one of the hardest parts of running a business. I only 'fired' a customer once in my 16 years of business, and it was not something I did on a whim. However, I don't have a large volume type business and I'm not wealthy. So all my customers and sales are very important to me.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Who is going to tell me I have to leave or come in at a certain time? Is someone going to tell me I have to work OT or to go mop floors? Etc etc.
I think you have an unrealistic idea about what it's like to start and run a business, but I wish you luck.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
You may not have to stay late and mop, but you'll be up checking documents, doing finances, and trying to figure out marketing plans, inventory, taxes, maintenance, employees, payroll, etc.

CEO's don't just sit in the chair while everyone else below them does work. They have a full plate too, and they also probably do a great deal of business travel, which can be exhausting.

Like Rocky said, you'll always be working for someone, whether it's customers, the bank, a parent company, or yourself. If you sit back and don't work, you'll just hurt yourself in the end because your business will fail.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 AM

90 posts, read 92,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
You may not have to stay late and mop, but you'll be up checking documents, doing finances, and trying to figure out marketing plans, inventory, taxes, maintenance, employees, payroll, etc.

CEO's don't just sit in the chair while everyone else below them does work. They have a full plate too, and they also probably do a great deal of business travel, which can be exhausting.

Like Rocky said, you'll always be working for someone, whether it's customers, the bank, a parent company, or yourself. If you sit back and don't work, you'll just hurt yourself in the end because your business will fail.
I undertsand all that. I know what it takes to run a business. If you read my original post, I ask a pretty specific question. I didnt ask for people's opinions on how you think I should run a business.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM

Youre the one who said you didn't want to work for anyone. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area