Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 PM

10,100 posts, read 7,771,136 times

Advertisements

One of my nice family members put me in charge of getting them a deal. Ok, so my blood pressure went up just thinking about it.

One other family member just went through the hassle of trying to get a better deal after promo expired. He refused to pay the higher bill so cut the TV cable cord and watches via other means.

I called twice and was told, the only way to get your new bill (increased by 25.00) lowered, is to go elsewhere or downgrade your services. They aren't giving out any new promotions or helping anyone out.

They aren't changing to Sprctrum until Feb. That just blows my mind. They don't care and even suggest you go elsewhere. Wow!!!!!

Thank goodness I have Uverse, which I still have to fight for promotions but at least they move a little in price.

I don't know but to me it seems like I hear more and more people refusing to pay such high cable prices and are cutting cable TV and going toward other means for example, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Kodi, etc and just watching NBC, CBS and ABc along with the few other standard channels. I've even heard there is a way to DVR online also. These cable companies sure aren't trying to keep customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 08:42 PM

275 posts, read 430,835 times
The real problem is the networks are charging the cable companies a lot more money when a contract expires. I don't think the cable companies make a ton of money on TV services. Their profit is more in the Internet services. The networks are starving for viewership. The old days of shows pulling in 20 million viewers each week are over. So their advertising revenue is down so they go after the consumer.

I finally pulled the plug on HBO and Showtime about 4 months ago. I was paying Time Warner Cable $258 a month for their Signature package and that did not include any premium sports channels. It's crazy what they charge. I am on uVerse now and the bill is $178. The Internet is much faster than TWC (1gig vs 50meg) and I have a whole home DVR that can record 6 channels at once. I like that, the TWC DVR only did 2 at once.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 PM

734 posts, read 920,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderguy View Post
The real problem is the networks are charging the cable companies a lot more money when a contract expires. I don't think the cable companies make a ton of money on TV services. Their profit is more in the Internet services. The networks are starving for viewership. The old days of shows pulling in 20 million viewers each week are over. So their advertising revenue is down so they go after the consumer.

I finally pulled the plug on HBO and Showtime about 4 months ago. I was paying Time Warner Cable $258 a month for their Signature package and that did not include any premium sports channels. It's crazy what they charge. I am on uVerse now and the bill is $178. The Internet is much faster than TWC (1gig vs 50meg) and I have a whole home DVR that can record 6 channels at once. I like that, the TWC DVR only did 2 at once.
TWC DVR does 6 programs too. I have one. You just have to bring your old box in and get a newer one. Of course that DVR has a higher monthly fee.

Here in Spenser Creek Woods of Ladson (NCHS) we only have one choice which is TWC. I wish AT&T would come in so that we can get the Universe.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times
Cut the cord , get an antenna, Netflix and Amazon Prime, FTW!!!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:05 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:

I don't believe this is correct. Yes, content owners have not only increased prices, but contractually forced bundling. Cord cutting has had made a small but noticeable impact, but it is this along with online viewing that has them concerned.

Regional powerhouse cable companies almost never compete and generate the largest part of their revenue from TV. This is why you're seeing data caps being put into place. It has nothing to do with capacity. The cost of capacity is minimal, they are protecting their TV revenue. On average, TV consumers pay $231 per year just to rent cable boxes. As an industry this equates to a $20 Billion in box rental fees.

https://consumerist.com/2016/01/29/i...-raise-prices/

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...gestion-135577

Old 01-31-2017, 04:09 PM

275 posts, read 430,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
I don't believe this is correct. Yes, content owners have not only increased prices, but contractually forced bundling. Cord cutting has had made a small but noticeable impact, but it is this along with online viewing that has them concerned.

Regional powerhouse cable companies almost never compete and generate the largest part of their revenue from TV. This is why you're seeing data caps being put into place. It has nothing to do with capacity. The cost of capacity is minimal, they are protecting their TV revenue. On average, TV consumers pay $231 per year just to rent cable boxes. As an industry this equates to a $20 Billion in box rental fees.

https://consumerist.com/2016/01/29/i...-raise-prices/

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...gestion-135577
Comcast recently raised their data cap to 100gig a month. TWC and AT&T uVerse have no data caps in my area. Capacity can be an issue, I for one suffered from a saturated node here in Summerville because TWC did not want to upgrade the network. I had the same problem in NJ with CableVision. It's not cheap to split a node.

DirecTV has plenty of competition yet their pricing is no better than the cable companies. The networks are the problem. And the reason the networks are the problem is the salaries of these overpaid stars. Why should some sitcom star make 1 million an episode and the average show has around ~20 per year. Then take a news guy like Matt Lauer, 25 million a year - what a joke. These guys are not worth it.

If you want to see where the profit is, read this article. 97% profit for TWC for Internet services.

Time Warner Cable's 97 Percent Profit Margin on High-Speed Internet Service Exposed | The Huffington Post

Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
AT&T has a 1TB cap on unless you get Gigabit speed or have wireless service with them. I don't know what TWC caps are or aren't. But a 100 GB cap is nothing to a cord cutting family watching HD let alone 4k.

The cost of capacity to a ISP like TWC or Comcast is minuscule and the bandwidth cost in transmission is equally small compared to the cost they charge for overage. While ISPs have, over the last 10 years, decreased their % of profit reinvestment into CAPEX to properly manage their infrastructure, a 97% profit simply doesn't explain the level of protectionism these cable companies are pouring into watching traditional cable/satellite vs allowing you to cut the cord. They simply don't want to cannibalize that portion of their industry.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ing-data-caps/
Why your Internet service provider wants to nix all-you-can-eat data buffets | TechHive
https://groups.csail.mit.edu/ana/Pub...lysis.TPRC.pdf

Old 01-31-2017, 07:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
Quote:
Comcast recently raised their data cap to 100gig a month. TWC and AT&T uVerse have no data caps in my area. Capacity can be an issue, I for one suffered from a saturated node here in Summerville because TWC did not want to upgrade the network. I had the same problem in NJ with CableVision. It's not cheap to split a node.

DirecTV has plenty of competition yet their pricing is no better than the cable companies. The networks are the problem. And the reason the networks are the problem is the salaries of these overpaid stars. Why should some sitcom star make 1 million an episode and the average show has around ~20 per year. Then take a news guy like Matt Lauer, 25 million a year - what a joke. These guys are not worth it.

If you want to see where the profit is, read this article. 97% profit for TWC for Internet services.

Time Warner Cable's 97 Percent Profit Margin on High-Speed Internet Service Exposed | The Huffington Post
Comcast data cap is 1024GB (1TB) now. Not 100. Used to be 300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area