Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 7,826 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from the Northern Virginia area to SC in the next few months. My husband will
be down in the area for training in the next few weeks and I'm trying to figure out where to get him temporary lodging like Airbnb. We are used to major commutes of at least an hour in the NOVA area we live in, but he doesn't want to go more than 30-45 minutes each way. I found a place in John's Island but I'm wondering about the commute to Mt. Pleasant since it seems he would have to go across Charleston. Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 09:33 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
In the afternoons it takes me 40 mins to travel from downtown Charleston out to North Mount Pleasant. A lot will depend on where in MtP. On the flip side, he'll get to see what the traffic is like from both areas...

Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 AM

He's going right by Houston Northcutt Blvd. Very close once you get off the Ravenel Bridge. If that helps

Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,947,781 times
pookie (love that handle !! )--
IMO, the commute from John's Island to MTP Northcutt would be horrendous during drive time. I don't think you should sign him up for that trek without further study.

May I suggest you look for airbnb places much closer to Houston Northcutt. There's an area called Copahee Sound where he might be able to take some back roads like Rifle Range Road to the site. The prices in that section of Mt P have not run way ahead of themselves yet. If the permanent job prospects are on the Mt P side of the bridge.....you're going to want to be close by.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM

1,669 posts, read 2,244,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielicious123 View Post
We are relocating from the Northern Virginia area to SC in the next few months. My husband will
be down in the area for training in the next few weeks and I'm trying to figure out where to get him temporary lodging like Airbnb. We are used to major commutes of at least an hour in the NOVA area we live in, but he doesn't want to go more than 30-45 minutes each way. I found a place in John's Island but I'm wondering about the commute to Mt. Pleasant since it seems he would have to go across Charleston. Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Take a look at the typical traffic heading on to Johns Island at around 5pm in Google Maps and see if that's something you're willing to put up with on a daily basis.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:38 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
Personally I wouldnt want to do that commute, especially if theres bad weather.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
pookie (love that handle !! )--
IMO, the commute from John's Island to MTP Northcutt would be horrendous during drive time. I don't think you should sign him up for that trek without further study.

May I suggest you look for airbnb places much closer to Houston Northcutt. There's an area called Copahee Sound where he might be able to take some back roads like Rifle Range Road to the site. The prices in that section of Mt P have not run way ahead of themselves yet. If the permanent job prospects are on the Mt P side of the bridge.....you're going to want to be close by.

Thanks for your input! It would only be for the next 4 weeks. Do you think it would take more than 45 minutes?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Take a look at the typical traffic heading on to Johns Island at around 5pm in Google Maps and see if that's something you're willing to put up with on a daily basis.
Great suggestion...I'll have to do that!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM

216 posts, read 299,952 times
Also from NOVA...look into a place in West Ashley, James Island, Hanahan/Park Circle or Mt Pleasant. Most all of those options may cut his commute and frustration for such a minimal drive.

Is there a price point you are looking at?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbalancedwood View Post
Also from NOVA...look into a place in West Ashley, James Island, Hanahan/Park Circle or Mt Pleasant. Most all of those options may cut his commute and frustration for such a minimal drive.

Is there a price point you are looking at?
This is only for temporary lodging for 4 weeks while he's in training in Mt. Pleasant. We were looking at Airbnb between $35-40 a night. He just needs a room with a private bathroom. I'm just concerned about his commute in the mornings and afternoon because we don't know traffic in the area. Coming from NOVA you know most people commute over an hour, so anything under 45 minutes is fine with him.

Once we're down there permanently we're thinking about living in Summerville. Commuting will not be a huge concern because his hours will not be regular commuting times. Unfortunately Mt. Pleasant is out of our price range. We plan on renting for a year to make sure we get to know the area well before we buy a house. The schools are very important to us and I've heard Dorchester II has the best ones after Mt. Pleasant. I appreciate any input

Where in NOVA did you live? We are currently in Stafford but used to live in Loudoun County. In your opinion, how does Summerville compare to NOVA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area