Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 12:40 PM

11 posts, read 14,814 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are strongly considering moving to Charleston this year for a very good job opportunity for my husband. We are a bi-racial family (black/hispanic and white). I am sorry if I offend anyone by asking this question, but is there discrimination against black/hispanic/bi-racial people in this city? This is a very important decision for us, we have two children under the age of 4 and we want to ensure that they grow up in a place where they will feel welcome. Thank you so much for your help everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 02:13 PM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times
There are idiots everywhere so yes there is a minority that might care, and those shrink every year. By far the majority really don't care.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:12 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Theres many bi racial families here. You will fit right in.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. We understand that there are going to be people like that everywhere, but we currently live in Toronto which is extremely diverse and tolerant, so we were wondering how we would fit in Charleston. We are glad to know that there are many bi-racial families there.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 PM

480 posts, read 503,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ507 View Post
We are glad to know that there are many bi-racial families there.
I think you're being oversold. I would visit first (preferably several times).
I don't think Toronto diversity and Charleston diversity are in the same ballpark.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:03 PM

252 posts, read 264,177 times
No disrespect meant, but it sounds like you might find yourself hindered by a case of confirmation bias. I can understand that wanting to live in a place where your children can grow up without facing the nastiness of racism is of great importance to you, but I have to wonder if your worrying about it will cause you to be overly critical of wherever you may end up.

Perhaps you've heard all of the stereotypes of the southeastern US, and in the back of your mind, you may be wondering if there is truth to it. The fact is, no matter where you go, if you look for racism, you will find it.

That said, I don't think you'll have any problems here in and around Charleston. As others have said, there are plenty of bi-racial families here and all over the south. We're not as diverse here as Toronto, but I imagine that's less a product of sociology and more a case of Charleston not really being a point of entry for different races of people. As an example, Seattle is a big point of entry for travelers and immigrants from Asia, and as a result, has a very large Asian population, as well as Indian and Russian. Most people in and around Charleston who moved here from elsewhere are just from other regions of the country. The majority of the demographics are black and white, but there are Hispanics and Asians here as well.

The default advice stands: Visit first. Judge for yourself whether you'll be comfortable living here. Only you can make that decision.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:36 PM

Very good points. My husband and I are actually going there very soon to get a feel for the city before making a decision. Thank you so much for the great comments.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 AM

92 posts, read 83,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
I think you're being oversold. I would visit first (preferably several times).
I don't think Toronto diversity and Charleston diversity are in the same ballpark.

I agree with this. If you stay in the Charleston area - Downton, John, James, Daniel Island, Mount Pleasant, North Charleston - most people won't bat an eye but in some places you will get the look.

But if you drive up 26 on the way to columbia and stop along the way, even in a place like Moncks corner, things can get a bit funny.

And yes, my wife and I are a mixed race couple.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:26 AM

973 posts, read 914,379 times
Folks here are generally nice and relatively accepting. Lots of people from all over come to settle down here. That being said, you need to come visit to judge whether the diversity is eclectic enough for you and your family. Imo, it's a work in progress, but Charleston is a growing city with lots of potential!

I'm sure our 80F weather (currently) will be quite nice compared to Toronto too

Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 PM

Thank you... we are considering buying a house in Mount Pleasant, after spending a couple of months renting (we want to rent there at the beginning before fully deciding on a place/house to live.)

We will be there very soon and I will see how comfortable I feel and if it is a place where I want to raise my children.

Fluffypoopoo, you are right. It is very cold here, but honestly this winter hasn't been as bad as others. I love it when everything is white outside.. but the winters can get pretty long here. Can't wait to go see your city and its people! Thank you again for the feedback!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area