Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 06:00 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,215,812 times

Advertisements

Any guesses what the crowds will be in Charleston over the long weekend? I'm asking because we are in the totality area in the upstate but have been invited down for a long weekend at Folly.I'm starting to think we should stay home.

Can you believe that's move in days at CoC!.Think about it, out of state parents driving the wrong way on one way streets along with the eclipse crowds, talking about a fluster cluck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:16 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,024,205 times
Me +1 will be there. Over in MtP.

I would say if you have a Base and Don't need to drive around alot, Go for it.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Any guesses what the crowds will be in Charleston over the long weekend? I'm asking because we are in the totality area in the upstate but have been invited down for a long weekend at Folly.I'm starting to think we should stay home.

Can you believe that's move in days at CoC!.Think about it, out of state parents driving the wrong way on one way streets along with the eclipse crowds, talking about a fluster cluck!
Oh just face the drive in, bring some good food, good drink and hunker down at the beach. I'd go to a beach property any time anybody asked -- lol.

Never say no to a beach getaway -- NEVER. Life is way too short.

You don't have to go downtown....or go at night.

But I wasn't thinking of move in week end - -yikes..

WE have family coming from Toronto, Canada. I suspect they will get here Saturday or Sunday. We will try to minimize our downtown excursions until the day after the eclipse.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,215,812 times
Yeah, we'll hit the big liquer store on Folly Road, then Crosby's, then Harris Teeter and never go into town most likely.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:48 PM

846 posts, read 1,800,169 times
Anywhere with a decent view of the sky is having a big event for the eclipse. MUSC Health Stadium on Daniel Island has a big event, and will be using their scoreboard to show all of NASA's weather balloons.

Riley Park (the RiverDogs baseball stadium) is doing an event prior to a 4:05 baseball game, and CofC has a big event on campus that day. All of NASA's TV coverage of the eclipse will be based there.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:27 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,441,293 times
I will be at work, doesn't this last only 2 minutes??

Old 08-02-2017, 07:16 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,952,179 times
I was talking to someone yesterday and they said all hotels between Georgetown and Beaufort are booked solid -- No Rooms Available. They said many people are getting rooms in Myrtle Beach and planning to drive down Highway 17 in the morning....can you imagine that line of traffic ??

Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,024,205 times
One thing I wonder about the "Public" viewing "Parties" is can they control the lights? So may lights in Public places are on "Light" sensors, So it get dark and all the lights on the street Pop On, The Parking lots are all lite up.

I would look for a private dark area with lights that can be controlled.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 AM

3,840 posts, read 3,073,759 times
I just checked a major hotel booking website and there is only one hotel in the Chas area with rooms available in the Aug 20 - 22 date range.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:21 AM

846 posts, read 1,800,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I will be at work, doesn't this last only 2 minutes??
It depends on where you live in the area. This site is a great primer on where you will and won't see the eclipse. Kiawah Island, Edisto Beach, and Folly west of the Fishing Pier won't see the totality at all.

The best places to watch it is anywhere from Mt. Pleasant to Georgetown. Another place a lot of locals are forgetting is Moncks Corner. It hasn't gotten a lot of local publicity, but they are getting a whopping 2:30 of totality. The center of the totality is over Bonneau and McClellanville, along with Lake Marion and Moultrie.

USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area