Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 PM

657 posts, read 738,739 times

Advertisements

Who the hell was comparing cofc to Harvard or Columbia? What an asinine comparison leading to the rest of this dumb conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
We all have our own opinions. You think mine is nonsense. I don't.

Something that none of us have mentioned is the timeline of when the OP will graduate. The economy is great right now. I'm no economist, but the next recession may come sooner rather than later. OP should take that into account when thinking of how much debt to rack up and how easy/difficult it may be to attain/retain a job. I finished undergrad a decade ago during, what many consider, the worst global recession since the Great Depression. It was a tough time. Many skilled and talented young people (much more than me IMO) from neighboring schools, with adequate and relevant undergraduate work experience, had to slave at Starbucks or resort to unpaid internships since they couldn't pursue their intended fields. I'm going to go on the belief that if it wasn't for having UC Berkeley on my resume, and a bit of luck, I wouldn't have been fielding multiple offers immediately after graduating, albeit they weren't high paying (~22/h). Name isn't everything, but it does matter and may come into play at the most inopportune time. My 2c. Peace.
I called it nonsense because you based your comments of CofC off stereotypes, and you basically said the school has no academic and employable standing. At least that's how it came off. I gave you paragraphs of examples since I experienced it first hand. I'm pretty proud of what my class has been able to accomplish in 17 months. The opportunity is definitely there.

And even though I'm young, I'm aware of the consequences of the recession, but you're making assumptions that he could be in massive debt and get caught in a recession and that it'll affect him directly, and he'll need Starbucks because he came to CofC to get a teaching degree.

OP's debt will depend on his scholarships, parents, personal money habits, whether he works during school or not, his job after, other expenses, whether he wins the lottery, etc, etc. And teaching has a few loan forgiveness programs.

Fact of the matter is debt can be accrued or avoided anywhere. And whether CofC or elsewhere, he'll have post-grad opportunities. Schools do give off prestige like you say, but it's also about who you know, your grades, your field, and your EQ.

I got selected in DC along with kids from Emory, Penn State, VT, UVA, UNC, Miami OH, UC Santa Barbara, Georgetown, and Loyola. So the Charleston on my app stacked up with those schools in their view. It wasn't thrown away just because it didn't say Clemson or Cornell.

You make good points and give him good concerns, my issue is just when people act like CofC is some Education Connection type school, just because it's not a household name brand.

CofC may or may not be a good fit for him, but it won't be because of CofC's merits, but rather his own personal goals, finances, personality, and desires to be away/close to home.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 10-12-2017 at 06:45 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 06:32 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Jandrew

I think highly of CofC but the last figures I know of say the female to male ratio slips to over 75% during the school year versus enrollments.

Please verify and if I am wrong, bad on me.
The fall 2016 enrollment was 11,294 students. 64% female, 36% male. It's still a good female skew, but ever since McConnell got there, the school has been actively trying to enroll more males.

Berry, the largest dorm on campus, was converted to coed, while McConnell, one of the smallest, was converted to all female.

Thing with CofC is it really doesn't feel like 2 girls for every 1 guy, unless you reallyyy try to look for it. Plus Citadel guys love to parooze the area, which gives more male presence.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:34 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
FWIW- Berry was originally half ale/half female with separated halls. Then they made it female in the early 00s because they felt the guys were trashing there half. Now its coed by suite and one floor is reserved for honors college. Not sure if they use that allotment. That really isn't a male/female student population related change as much as better space utilization.

Making McConnell which is also suites all female tells the tale on gender ratio. Usually you would leave suite style dorms multi-sex since you are locked into one sex in a more traditional dorm room/hall bath layout.

Another plus for the college is that Charleston is progressive in the most benign possible manner. So kids can step into whatever they want to be without to much pressure or too much fanfare. The flip side is anyone looking for a staunchly conservative or entirely progressive campus is not going to find it at CofC.

JAndrew hit on something I mentioned but didn't adequately express before. Coming from a school outside the Ivy League, Stanford, UVA, University of Chicago level can often be a benefit since no one filling internships, positions or research spots is going to fill their available spots only with kids from one background or one region. A lot of bright, hardworking kids at the Ivy League/UC Berkeley level miss out because while they might be top 5% they are mid tier at their own school and others have taken their potential seat.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:41 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
Who the hell was comparing cofc to Harvard or Columbia? What an asinine comparison leading to the rest of this dumb conversation.
Someone who earned $17/hour with a degree from UC Berkeley...

There are several decent snippets in the thread. I though the guy who had a daughter attend made a fair analysis.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:22 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,675 times
My oldest daughter graduated in 2012.She had a good solid mainstream, healthy, college experience.She met her future husband there.the son in law is from Colorado and fell in love with Charleston and the South in general and promissed me they would get back to SC as soon as he finishes residency.They go back to Charleston at least once a year and we meet them there if we can.

If you need an unbiased opinion on CoC, I'm probably not the Guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area