Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 02:46 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, it was an attempt to inject some reality based on the logic presented in the jab.

But let others think that folks in Columbia are writhing in agony over this if it suits them.
Nobody in Columbia are writhing in agony because they knew they didn’t have a chance in the first place. It’s just Columbia.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 10-21-2018 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 03:02 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Nobody in Columbia arenwriting in agony because they knew they didn’t have a chance in the first place. It’s just Columbia.
A "chance"? This wasn't some sort of open competition.

You may think it's horrible, but Columbia is fine with just being Columbia. Maybe the next natural disaster will remind you guys to stay humble.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,942,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A "chance"? This wasn't some sort of open competition.

You may think it's horrible, but Columbia is fine with just being Columbia. Maybe the next natural disaster will remind you guys to stay humble.
Pretty testy for somebody who claims to not care.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:46 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
From reading Columbia posts, especially those extolling CAE, they are envious but will not admit it.

Like it or not, it is saying CHS is more of an International City then CAE is and a real back handed slap to GSP.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:21 PM

12,891 posts, read 18,744,346 times
It’s saying that Charleston is Charleston.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Pretty testy for somebody who claims to not care.
I never said I didn't care about the unnecessary jabs. Why else would I respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
From reading Columbia posts, especially those extolling CAE, they are envious but will not admit it.
I'm not getting that at all; one person in the Columbia forum responded to the news of the London flight and he said it actually made a lot of sense, and two others disagreed with the notion as expressed in the P&C that it would lead to a surge of British tourists in Columbia. Columbians would much rather see more and cheaper flights to domestic destinations. They are under no illusions that they would be getting non-stop direct destinations to international locations anytime soon; they are very realistic when it comes to CAE and its challenges.

Quote:
Like it or not, it is saying CHS is more of an International City then CAE is and a real back handed slap to GSP.
It's pretty common knowledge that Charleston is on the radar internationally as a tourist destination and other cities in the state aren't. I don't think that's news to anyone not living under a rock.

I just find it somewhat hilarious that folks from a city as old and once as prominent as Charleston--which used to be a peer of the likes of Boston and Philadelphia--are reduced to picking on a city like Columbia (which caught up with it in terms of size and economy) for ego boosts. I'm not sure if there's another instance where a city's pride is so detached from reality.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-21-2018 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 06:48 PM

513 posts, read 576,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

I'd say everyone is aware that Charleston is a MUCH more widely known city around the country and world than either Cola or Greenville, and for good reason. Every school kid at least hears about Cola as a state capital, but Greenville is still relatively unknown around the country, let alone the world. I'm not shocked at all CHS is getting a London direct, the city and airport are growing quickly and I imagine the route will do fine. In real terms, it seems Charleston is separating itself from Cola and Gville to become the true "top dog" in the state. It's had most of the mega job announcements, the highest growth numbers, and its long been a historical and tourism mecca. No surprise the airport is growing the way it is. I don't think this is a "slap" to either CAE or GSP, it's just simply a nod for Charleston. GSP, while not on CHS' s growth curve, is doing pretty well for an area that has no beach, no major university downtown, no fortune 500 HQs, no huge historical significance, and has grown from a collection of mill villages.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
So you came here to defend Columbia, and it’s airport, from bullies? I guess that’s how you get almost 28K posts.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:51 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
I think its ridiculous to pit Columbia and Charleston against each other. I grew up in Aiken County, and my family and friends frequently traveled to ATL for flights to Germany, Japan, and Belgium. I think this flight is a win for all of South Carolina, and I can see people from Columbia, Aiken, Myrtle Beach, and Savannah using this flight for travel to London.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
So you came here to defend Columbia, and it’s airport, from bullies? I guess that’s how you get almost 28K posts.
I came to follow the news of this development and decided to respond to the juvenile cheapshots; I had absolutely no idea such comments were made and was honestly taken aback a bit. And no that's not why I have a high post count as I rarely post in the Charleston subforum. And if what I've been reading in this thread is any indication of how the discussions usually go around here, then I certainly won't be making it a habit now.

It actually speaks volumes that so far, no other Charleston forumer has the maturity to say "Yeah those were unnecessary jabs; no need to drag down another city to make ours look good" and instead join in on piling on Columbia or resort to making personal swipes at me. But have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area