Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 10:09 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I did a quick search for round trip ticket dates in April, but it looks like the going rate by flying first to Atlanta and taking some other airline is around $600, while flying directly out of here is $1319 for economy on British Airways. I don't know if I wanna spend another $700 to save a couple hours. Hopefully they drop that price down a bit.
Look at June. BA prices are cheaper than competitors and at least 2 hours faster.

*I used June 6th to June 20th.

BA $1620 round trip, 8 hours non-stop.

American, $1623, 1 stop in CLT, total 10 hours, 11 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 03:25 PM

108 posts, read 101,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
I guess they'll have to build a customs and immigration section at the airport,.
The customs section is on the left as you turn toward the B gates. If you've ever flown
Southwest out of gate B2, that's the international gate.

Look for the gray area on the airport map

Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM

108 posts, read 101,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Look at June. BA prices are cheaper than competitors and at least 2 hours faster.

*I used June 6th to June 20th.

BA $1620 round trip, 8 hours non-stop.

American, $1623, 1 stop in CLT, total 10 hours, 11 minutes.
I just flew to/from Heathrow via Charlotte last week. $1300.
So the price is competitive for locals, but certainly you can find cheaper going thru hubs with competition.

What I found interesting is the Charlotte to Heathrow flights are 9 hours eastbound, 10 hours westbound. The scheduled flight time out of Charleston is 1 hour less each way. Trying to determine whether that is due to a more direct routing, or just avoiding the (sometimes lengthy) taxi time in Charlotte.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:24 PM

657 posts, read 739,277 times
Playing around with google flights it looked like some for 675-750 before June. After that it got bad

Old 10-20-2018, 06:30 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEB1786 View Post
Playing around with google flights it looked like some for 675-750 before June. After that it got bad
Not sure how they expect to be successful with the huge price difference between Charleston and Atlanta. For me living almost the exact same distance from the two
airports, I would definitely fly out of Atlanta for the much cheaper fare.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,012,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not sure how they expect to be successful with the huge price difference between Charleston and Atlanta. For me living almost the exact same distance from the two
airports, I would definitely fly out of Atlanta for the much cheaper fare.
Keep in mind the "Connection" fare, and the Non/Stop Fare from/Thru Atlanta can be very different.

I lived in the NorthernBurbs of Atlanta, Many people would drive up to Chattanooga, to take a "International" flight out of CHA that would connect in ATL as it would be Hundreds of Dollars Cheaper, then getting on the same plane Non/Stop out of Atlanta Airport.

Going out of CHA Delta had computation from UA, AA on the connecting markets for International flights.

(Parking is also cheaper at CHA)

Old 10-20-2018, 07:27 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Keep in mind the "Connection" fare, and the Non/Stop Fare from/Thru Atlanta can be very different.

I lived in the NorthernBurbs of Atlanta, Many people would drive up to Chattanooga, to take a "International" flight out of CHA that would connect in ATL as it would be Hundreds of Dollars Cheaper, then getting on the same plane Non/Stop out of Atlanta Airport.

Going out of CHA Delta had computation from UA, AA on the connecting markets for International flights.

The online prices don’t seem to reflect that. Parking might be cheaper, but nowhere near enough to make up for the price difference.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:59 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

Very true but I am only comparing Charleston and Atlanta as they’re both non stop direct. Atlanta is much cheaper most if not all of the time going off the schedule which is unfortunate.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:43 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,825 times
The less connections the less problems. If I lived in Charleston, I would fly exclusively out of there to London unless the price difference is outrageously cheaper out of ATL. $200 or $300 more to fly out of CHS? I’d still do it.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 AM

12,925 posts, read 18,774,800 times
The labor of driving and the added stress will make a lower cost out of Atlanta not worth it. If someone would go through all that to save that amount of money, Suzi Orman would tell them they can’t afford a trip to Europe anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area