Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 06:37 AM

417 posts, read 433,333 times

Advertisements

Hi all

Sending out a post in case I can get some helpful advice. I'm trying to work on the weekends/online so I can stay home during the week for my baby. Hubby gets them after his work (8-5 job). We can't really live on his pay alone. Im trying hard to find a part-time position on Saturdays or online. I have a pretty good set of qualifications and can teach middle school through college and do research.I know Trident has online, evening and weekend classes but never called me for interview. Their adjunct pool post is about 4 years old. I guess they use a lot of internal candidates.
I'm at a point here we need to decide in about 2 months if we have to put Dear baby in a daycare atleast part-time. Can't just keep using savings... I just don't want to do that. Baby has had some medical issues in the past and would really rather care for him myself.

We want to wait atleast one more year for dear baby to grow up before putting him someone in a daycare.
After applying, interviewing and applying to so many places, I just decided to reach out for some suggestions...
Anyone knows of a school that is open on Saturdays? maybe a private school?

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Have you thought about tutoring privately?

Old 10-30-2018, 09:23 AM

727 posts, read 716,373 times
How about online virtual teacher jobs? I did a quick search and found this one: https://www.indeed.com/q-Online-Teac...af006f6bde61f0

Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions...I could tutor too..I have tried k12...often got rejected at the final interview...
will look into the other link..thanks people...

Old 11-01-2018, 02:44 PM

16 posts, read 13,287 times
It's not an easy place to be in. Esp. in an area that has such high costs. If you put your child(ren) in daycare, how much do you have to make in order to offset that cost? Will you be working 3 days to break even on the childcare and netting only 2 days? Don't use your savings. If you have to find something out of your expertise then do it for the short term on the weekends. Do retail, be a waiter. Do an analysis on your spending and make some real calls. If housing is that expensive that two incomes are needed to merely live here, that's a red flag. I see a lot of peeps in my area of Mount Pretentious using their double incomes to pay for the big home and the vacations. If one has a health scare or problem it's bankruptcy.

I know I know.. I'm preaching about an area that wasn't asked.. I live very below my means and as a result my wife can take time with our newborn ad infinitum.

I'd notify local high schools and put tutoring notices on the bulletin boards are the local colleges and schools. go grassroots. Put a free ad on craigslist. I suspect a lot of full time faculty and teachers (esp. adjunct faculty) poach the students at their home institutions.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:50 AM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
I think a number of people set up tutoring gigs simply by putting the word out on NextDoor.com, Facebook and Craigslist. Once a good reputation gets around, you'd probably have all the work you want.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:43 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Hmm-

I wonder if you could find employment with an after school program that could also accommodate your kids? It would be a nit of a niche to find a place that does both daycare and after school but there is always something one off.

There is a Low Country Graduate Center in North Charleston that does almost exclusively night/weekend courses but they seem to focus on specific career courses and actually use a fair number of existing professors from the local colleges.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:17 PM

My little one cannot be in a exposed to too many other kids to prevent infections. So the daycare setting position might not work. But I love the Low Country Graduate Center suggestion. Checking it out right now...Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area