Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 07:11 PM

624 posts, read 693,772 times

Advertisements

2 problems with this:

1.) Where are we going to put them? There's no room at the Hill-Finklea Detention Center

2.) South Cackalacky's finest judges bond out rapists and murderers...will porch pirates get the Express Lane out the door at their bond hearing?

https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...610691e57.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 07:46 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,951,138 times
I like the idea. What was it.....Mandatory 5 year Felony ?? Oh yeah, we'll find a place to put them evil-doers.....we'll double 'em in with Bobba ! And only one bunk in the Cell.

What does the Homeowner get if we shoot one dead on our Porch ?? We just saved the State 5 years worth of grub.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:49 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,439,733 times
It's silly, it does not go along with other statutes. It is simply larceny, just like other theft. Mandatory 5 year sentence is silly. Just needs to have the same sentence as larceny (petty or grand). They just want to propose this because it is a very sad and selfish crime. People can just be smarter and not leave packages out on the porches, set to retrieve them quickly. There are people in my neighborhood that leave the delivered package outside for the whole weekend signaling they are not home (not smart)....

Old 01-06-2019, 04:35 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
It's silly, it does not go along with other statutes. It is simply larceny, just like other theft. Mandatory 5 year sentence is silly. Just needs to have the same sentence as larceny (petty or grand). They just want to propose this because it is a very sad and selfish crime. People can just be smarter and not leave packages out on the porches, set to retrieve them quickly. There are people in my neighborhood that leave the delivered package outside for the whole weekend signaling they are not home (not smart)....
It’s not too far fetched. Interfering with the US mail system can get you up to 5 years and a fine.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1708

It’s just basically extending the punishment to include deliveries from UPS, FedEx, etc. which are just private versions of the postal system.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:54 PM

10,126 posts, read 7,795,840 times
I'm all for it. Let's stop simply slapping criminal's hands and setting them free. These people need to be punished to the point they learn a lesson. When crimes are happening in your neighborhoods and to you and your family, it's time to get harsher with punishments.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:16 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,708,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I'm all for it. Let's stop simply slapping criminal's hands and setting them free. These people need to be punished to the point they learn a lesson. When crimes are happening in your neighborhoods and to you and your family, it's time to get harsher with punishments.
I don’t think anyone is advocating letting them off. There just isn’t a need for new laws. Just enforce the ones on the books already.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I don’t think anyone is advocating letting them off. There just isn’t a need for new laws. Just enforce the ones on the books already.
Isn't that how SC works though. You commit a crime, go to jail for a day or two, if that long, then are free to go home with a slap on the hand? People just aren't punished enough to learn a lesson. I'm so tired of the crime.

I just hate lazy no good hoodlums that steal. They take what hard working people work hard and honest to obtain. I'm so sick of it. I say do like they do in Saudi Arabia. If you steal, cut off the arm. If you rape, do the Bobbit. See how much crime we have then. I don't have the patience or any sympathy for any of these hoodlums.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 01-06-2019 at 06:54 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 02:09 PM

A live video came across my Facebook page. A guy had stolen about 15,000 in equipment today. The police set up a road block. The guy fled in his truck with stolen goods and police chased him for about 45 minutes in N. Chas, Goose Creek and Hanahan with helicopters and canine. The policeman interviewed said they were aware of this guy. He was currently on bond for larceny and a frequent inmate at the Hill-Finklea Detention Center. Well, how about y'all just keep him an inmate and don't let him out so he can keep committing crimes and stealing from hard working people? Another case of not treating criminals in a way that teaches them a lesson. There needs to be stricter punishment.

Quoted from news article:
"Deputies say Beaudrot has been a 'frequent flyer' with Berkeley County Sheriff’s Office and was arrested in Dec of 2018 and April 2018."

Last edited by diddlydudette; 01-09-2019 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 02:42 PM

5,725 posts, read 4,708,818 times
Lobby your representatives to enforce laws on the books and let them know you are willing to pay more in taxes to keep bad people locked up.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Lobby your representatives to enforce laws on the books and let them know you are willing to pay more in taxes to keep bad people locked up.
Or how about make his time in jail not as sweet. Dont' allow daytime TV where they all sit around watching Maury Povich and Jerry Springer. Put them outside tarring roads, digging ditches or any other hard labor to help improve their town. If they can't stop crimes, put them in solitary or something harsher? Feed them food but the non-tastiest food out there and serve it every night.

I don't know what the answer is but I'm sick of it. To me it is getting worse and worse. Everyone in my family has been affected directly one way or another by local crime.

When I hear of prisons where most somehow get a hold of cell phones and are still committing crimes from within, it sickens me. How are these guys getting phones?

It's funny but in the old days you didn't see almost every other house with home alarm systems. Now you see alarm signs all over neighborhoods. It's a necessity. I can't imagine being able to sleep at night without one.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 01-09-2019 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area