Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,731 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I am a new poster, so forgive me if this is redundant!

I am from MA...can't take the cold anymore OR the high cost of housing. Looking to (hopefully) move to coastal SC. My new hubby and I are planning a visit over the next couple of months. We do not have kids yet, but we will soon . Looking for a great safe family neighborhood that is still within 30 minutes to Charleston. I have heard Summerville, James Island and Mount Pleasant are great. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 01:10 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,611 times
Hi & Welcome.
I think the general consensus is to grab a drink of choice & use the advanced search for reviews on the specific areas.

If you keep it down to the last few months, you should get a good handle on the area.

Or call a Realtor & tell them what you need. It's free, so why not let them do the work!
jim

Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
You're looking in the right direction with the areas you mentioned.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 33,257 times
I live in Summerville in a subdivision called Sunburst Lakes off of Orangeburg road. I have an elementary school 1 mile from the house and a middle school about 3 minutes away. We also have a new Publix grocery, two drug stores, and several small restaurants within a 1 mile range. Sunburst lakes is also a fairly small community with around 100 homes, swimming pool, playground, and only 1 way in or out (makes for zero through traffic). I have a 12 year old daughter and I have no problem letting her loose to ride her bike or go to the park. The homes are also reasonably priced for the square footage (around $95 a sq ft)with a lot of them backing up to protected forest land for privacy. We also love that we can get to "downtown" Summerville in about 10 minutes with access to a new Target, Movie Theatre, Best Buy and lots more! It is real quiet here with no issues with crime or vandalism. There are a few homes for sale out here right now, they vary from 1 story (around 1500 sq ft) to 2 story (around 2200 sq ft). You will definetly get a lot more for your money down here (I have a friend in Boston paying $300,000 for a 1 bedroom condo). Good luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
I've been bitten by the move to SC bug....idealizing that it will be a place offering a simpler way of life and an ideal place to raise my 4 children....coming from Maryland. My hubby needs a bit of a push though....any feedback from lifers?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:54 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,017,112 times
Which part of MD? I originally moved down from Southern MD, Charles County. To put it plainly, Maryland has -nothing- on Charleston. It is hands down the best move we ever made.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 AM

110 posts, read 565,541 times
I'd love to know where you're from too! We're from MD and hopefully making our move to Summerville this summer! Our house here just went on the market a few days ago. It took me years to get my husband to move. MD is just going downhill in our opinion and he could no longer deny it. We're in the Baltimore area and it it so overcrowded now. Of course there are other things we don't like about the area like traffic, crime, high cost of living, schools going dwonhill, etc... I could go on and on. Just about every year we headed south for vacation and that helped. Mind you I used to love MD. It has just changed quite a bit since I was a kid and it's definitely not the kind of place I want to raise my kids. Summerville is similar to the town in MD I grew up in but actually bigger. I'm hoping it doesn't grow too much. We want a simpler life now too. The deep south isn't backwards like some Northerners think. Southerners just know how to enjoy life. We used to enjoy life much more in MD before we were absorbed by all the big cities!

Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM

330 posts, read 1,196,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamptrecy View Post
I'd love to know where you're from too! We're from MD and hopefully making our move to Summerville this summer! Our house here just went on the market a few days ago. It took me years to get my husband to move. MD is just going downhill in our opinion and he could no longer deny it. We're in the Baltimore area and it it so overcrowded now. Of course there are other things we don't like about the area like traffic, crime, high cost of living, schools going dwonhill, etc... I could go on and on. Just about every year we headed south for vacation and that helped. Mind you I used to love MD. It has just changed quite a bit since I was a kid and it's definitely not the kind of place I want to raise my kids. Summerville is similar to the town in MD I grew up in but actually bigger. I'm hoping it doesn't grow too much. We want a simpler life now too. The deep south isn't backwards like some Northerners think. Southerners just know how to enjoy life. We used to enjoy life much more in MD before we were absorbed by all the big cities!
Good luck with your move to Summerville. My family and I relocated from the NJ/Philadelphia area to Summerville 2 years ago and it's had a fantastic effect on our 13 year old daughter. She is thriving here! We wanted a simpler life as well and we feel we have found it.

We also live in the northern section of Summerville next to Knightsville, and near the Sunburst Lakes subdivision that raven466 has mentioned. We really like the rural feel to this area, but I have to admit that it IS growing and traffic has increased since we've moved here.

Summerville is definitely aware of how fast it is growing and currently we have a moratorium on new building. Hopefully our representatives will keep this growth in check and we won't lose the small town feel that we all love.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:38 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,611 times
Folks,
Just a word to the wise. Do your homework.

You are replying to someone that wrote a total of one post;

one month ago.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:27 PM

5 posts, read 11,673 times
I have same question......and about ANYTHING AND ALL.........Schools for 12 and 6 ...jobs....ANYTHING....if I get anything, and I can figure out HOW? to use this site...guess just look at questions and answers, please let me know!
Thanks,
Ceeje
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area