Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times

Advertisements

I moved to help look after my father. Some of us are willing to make sacrifices for ones we love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:28 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I moved to help look after my father. Some of us are willing to make sacrifices for ones we love.
By no means criticizing, but did you consider relocating him to where you were or were you not doing that well there?

Old 07-17-2019, 06:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
By no means criticizing, but did you consider relocating him to where you were or were you not doing that well there?
Nope. He was home. Couple of years from my life for my father were well worth it. Just a different way of looking at things.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 PM

10,087 posts, read 7,761,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Older people do not like change. You don't just move an elderly person, especially if where they reside now has been their home and where they find the most comfort. If they are in their own house and in their hometown, it would be selfish to ask them to move late in life.

There is a 89 year old man that lives across from my mom. He and his family were the first to move in that neighborhood. He had the first house built. He barely leaves the house and is most comfortable being at home instead of moving anywhere. He wants to die at home. No way would his kids ask him to move from his home. I respect that they drive miles to take care of him and let him stay right where he is.

It would be too traumatizing to uproot someone that age, away from all things familiar just because you would rather live elsewhere. It's called being a good kid to a parent that raised you and has always been there for you. It's called putting someone else you love over yourself.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:25 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Its something adults often do for the people who selflessly raised us.
It’s still your choice. Nobody’s forcing you.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Exactly. It's not always easy to up and leave family and responsibilities. Sometimes taking care of family is first priority. We put family over living where makes us happiest.

If I were moving to a different area, I'd want to know the good and the bad. I think its' silly to think one place is so wonderful to everyone. I want to hear from those that don't like the area also. I want to know why they dislike it.

I've always wondered why people take offense if you say something negative about where they live? I simply prefer mountains over the ocean. I like hills instead of flat land. I like 4 distinct seasons and don't mind snow every now and then. I like not worrying about if I need to evacuate because a hurricane might hit. I love downtown G'ville and the Swamp Rabbit Trail. I just love that area and have lived there for a good many years and hope to make it back one day.

I simply hate traffic. It has really cut down on my qualify of life here but that's just me. Sville isn't what it used to be and I miss it. Everyone loves the growth in the area. I hate the growth. It's getting out of hand. Again....my opinion. If you love growth, that's great...you're in the right place.

I do love being out on the boat sipping on a pina coladas out on the intercoastal waterway and watching dolphins and looking for monkies on Monkey's Island or heading to Beaufort and watching the Air Show from the water or looking at the different homes on the water. There are a lot of good things about the area that I'd miss. Charleston Lowcountry has a lot going for but there can be negatives also. I hate that sometimes a negative comment is so un-welcomed here.
I hate when people move to a rural area, then complain that suburban sprawl is taking too long to get to them. There’s legitimate complaints, then there are things people knew about before hand, made poor choices, then complain that everybody else isn’t scrambling to give them wide roads and make downtown feel closer.

I’m tired of hearing about the damn roads. I have been all over this country and I’m still looking for this ideal wonderland state that has these perfect roads everybody else apparently was used to. The roads here are pretty much the same way they are everywhere else and in much better shape than the parts of the country most people here came from.

I’m tired of hearing about heat and bugs. The only place I’ve found fewer bugs in the summer are desert states. Not hot in the summer usually means brutally cold inter winter. The only Goldilocks state I’ve found that seems to have moderate temperature all year is California, but the entire state also catches fire every year...so there’s that.

I move around a lot and I sometimes get stuck in a place I’m not a huge fan of. I adapt and get over it. Hot daytime temps mean warm sunsets on the water. When the daytime temps start dropping to the mid 70’s, that means those sunsets are going to start to get chillier and the water temps will drop and I have to start shifting my hobbies to the middle of the day. I look forward to cooler mid day temps, but also pretty much means the end of my sunset trips.

There was a lot to complain about here when I first moved here 10 years ago. Everything has since drastically improved and I’ve adapted my lifestyle to take advantage of its attributes.

The one thing I’ve hated about every place I’ve lived is whiney people who don’t like where they live.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:12 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I hate when people move to a rural area, then complain that suburban sprawl is taking too long to get to them. There’s legitimate complaints, then there are things people knew about before hand, made poor choices, then complain that everybody else isn’t scrambling to give them wide roads and make downtown feel closer.

I’m tired of hearing about the damn roads. I have been all over this country and I’m still looking for this ideal wonderland state that has these perfect roads everybody else apparently was used to. The roads here are pretty much the same way they are everywhere else and in much better shape than the parts of the country most people here came from.

I’m tired of hearing about heat and bugs. The only place I’ve found fewer bugs in the summer are desert states. Not hot in the summer usually means brutally cold inter winter. The only Goldilocks state I’ve found that seems to have moderate temperature all year is California, but the entire state also catches fire every year...so there’s that.

I move around a lot and I sometimes get stuck in a place I’m not a huge fan of. I adapt and get over it. Hot daytime temps mean warm sunsets on the water. When the daytime temps start dropping to the mid 70’s, that means those sunsets are going to start to get chillier and the water temps will drop and I have to start shifting my hobbies to the middle of the day. I look forward to cooler mid day temps, but also pretty much means the end of my sunset trips.

There was a lot to complain about here when I first moved here 10 years ago. Everything has since drastically improved and I’ve adapted my lifestyle to take advantage of its attributes.

The one thing I’ve hated about every place I’ve lived is whiney people who don’t like where they live.
Sounds a lot like your glass is half full...

Old 07-18-2019, 09:41 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times
Quote:
It’s still your choice. Nobody’s forcing you.
Not sure what your point is.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
Not sure what your point is.
You have the choice to have your family move in with you wherever you want to move to. You're not actually stuck here.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:33 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,363 times
Quote:
You have the choice to have your family move in with you wherever you want to move to. You're not actually stuck here.
Not so. 90 year olds don't just move and to think otherwise shows a lack of having been with one and having to help them with daily life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area