Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 AM

4 posts, read 9,890 times

Advertisements

I know. Another thread about someone moving to Charleston and wanting to know the best places to live. I've been reading forum posts for hours though and could find no one with exactly my situation or needs though. So if anyone can offer advice, it would be great.

My husband may be getting a job on Daniel Island so we will have to move somewhere within a 45 minute commute of there. I am a just a small town girl and don't much want to live in the thick of things though. And when I say small town, I mean in. Where I live now has a population of less than 1000, 1 grocery store, 2 gas stations, and 2 family owned restaurants. The closest Wal-Mart is 25 miles away.

My top priorities are:

Space - 1800+ sq ft. of house and enough yard that neighbors aren't right on top of me (.3 acres)

Convenience - We like to eat out and go shopping so to have things within a 15 minute drive would be great

DSL/Cable Internet - I don't figure this will be a problem anywhere close to Charleston, but I had to put it in because it is a must for me and might rule out some of the smaller towns on the outskirts

Price - We will probably just rent at first (no more than $1250 a month) and when we buy, we'll probably want to keep it under $180k

Safety - My idea of safety isn't quite as strict as most maybe. I just don't want gunshots fired in my neighborhood or lots of folks just standing around on corners looking shady. Otherwise I'm pretty cool.

I am kind of concerned about living in a subdivision. I'm just not sure if I can do it. They always look nice, but covenants and restrictions tend to rub me the wrong way. I know they are a good idea to keep communities nice and property values high, but I like to think when I own something, it is mine to do with as I please. If I go through a pink flamingos in the yard phase, god forbid, I don't want to start receiving letters from the HOA.

That's pretty much it. I don't think I left any important factors to consider out, but if I did, just ask. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Are schools a priority/do you have children? That factor will greatly affect where you might want to live. If you don't have children, then you have a lot more options. If your husband will be working on Daniel Island and you want to stick to under $180,000 you will probably want to live in Berkley County. I'll let the forum's real estate agents and folks familiar with that area suggest towns and neighborhoods. That's away from my stomping grounds a bit!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Are schools a priority/do you have children? That factor will greatly affect where you might want to live. If you don't have children, then you have a lot more options. If your husband will be working on Daniel Island and you want to stick to under $180,000 you will probably want to live in Berkley County. I'll let the forum's real estate agents and folks familiar with that area suggest towns and neighborhoods. That's away from my stomping grounds a bit!
I knew I forgot something. Schools are not an issue. We don't plan to have children so we're not worried about where the best schools are.

I was looking around Berkely county some and Charleston County west and east of Charleston. I am just worried about them being super populated.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:56 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
I live out on Johns Island, where it is more rural (I grew up in the country and our nearby town had a population of 1,200....the nearest shopping or fast food was 35 miles away - so I know where you're coming from!). The commute to Dan Island from here, going up 526, would be about 25 minutes. We have 2 grocery stores, 2 drug stores, a hardware store, a feed store, a paint store, and a few more misc. businesses...but we do now have a good many restaurants to choose from (at least 10). There are some new neighborhoods here where the homes are in the $180's and up and we also have some very nice condos for rent on Johns Island. Since you like small town and country (like me) this might be a nice fit for you. We are also just 20 minutes from several beaches, 20 minutes from downtown Charleston, and 20 minutes from the nearest mall (Citadel). I love it out here because we are away from the hustle bustle of the suburbs, but have the conveniences within minutes.

Someone else may be able to tell you about some small towns north of Daniel Island. Berkley County isn't really overpoplulated....there are still many small-towns left.

Good luck with your search! If you decide to inquire further about Johns Island, you can PM me if you like.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
Working on DI.
A couple w/ no kids.
1/3 + acre.
Small town or country, but still in range of civilization.

I'm thinking either north of Rte. 41 in Mount Pleasant.
or
Outside MOncks Corner.

I have a feeling that you may change some of your desires once you are here.

I recommend the popular 'rent for 6 months then buy if the market is right' plan.
And so, I'd rent on Daniel Island.
jim

Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM

SSBeaches, thanks so much for the info. After I've done more research and we've visited I may contact you about more information.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
Working on DI.
A couple w/ no kids.
1/3 + acre.
Small town or country, but still in range of civilization.

I'm thinking either north of Rte. 41 in Mount Pleasant.
or
Outside MOncks Corner.

I have a feeling that you may change some of your desires once you are here.

I recommend the popular 'rent for 6 months then buy if the market is right' plan.
And so, I'd rent on Daniel Island.
jim
Thanks for the advice. We are looking to probably rent something closer to DI at first. Maybe for a year. I'm not quite sure about actually renting on DI though. I haven't actually been there so my opinions are only based on assumptions. I've only visited the downtown area of Charleston, but it seems like DI might be a little too perfect for my personal tastes. Who knows? I may love it once I see it though.

Out of curiousity, what do you think might change my mind as far as my desires go?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM

This area is not all that big in geographic terms, but it changes vastly in a short drive.

What I mean by that is, you need to drive to another borough in New York or a completely different area in Chicago or L.A. to find a real change.

In Charleston, you can find that change in seven miles, no matter which direction you are headed.

Just drive from IOP to Sullivan's to Folly to Downtown.
Just a 45 minute drive, but it will take you hours to stop & actually see what is going on around you in terms of 'people'.

I consider that a good thing.

I would rent as close to your employment as possible for the efficiency factor.
Especially since it's on DI and access to other areas is quick & easy.

jim

Old 05-02-2008, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 22,350 times
I live in the Berkeley County section of Summerville, which is pretty much as you've described. A little more rural, I live in a quiet, new subdivision, it's nice out here, but still convenient. We are being transferred, so our 4/2.5 house will soon be for rent/sale. Good luck.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:09 PM

I think I've got you pegged. Felder Creek perhaps?
I'm basing it on your repair request.
We just moved two people into the neighborhood, and had to square somethings away.

Might be able to help you out.
jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area